shipping containers

Hi, long time seller here. Only ship to north america, but lately international buyers are buying and their address is a shipping container in DE.   I've had a number of DNR issues with these, and end up giving refunds (grudgingly) . How on earth do I stop this? Thanks for any help you can give. 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

The Delaware addresses are likely freight forwarding companies and though many buyers who use FF are honest, there are some that have been dishonest...many of them use the Delaware companies and many are from Eastern Europe.

By DNR do you mean that they filed an item not received claim?  The only way to win an INR is to show delivery with tracking. It's possible that the buyer is filing a claim because they honestly haven't received the item but there is no way to know that if there is no delivery confirmation.  It looks like you are using small packet USA much of the time?   Although small packet does not have official tracking or delivery confirmation, in some cases the tracking will show up on eBay if you enter the UR  number on the label under the scan code.  The mail carrier's aren't required to scan those packages when they deliver them but many of them do and if they do, the information shows up but only on eBay..not on any of the postal sites.  That allows you to fight an item not received claim because you have proof of delivery.

Some sellers always enter the UR number with small packet but as the only scans that will show on eBay are ones that are made once the package is scanned by USPS (CP scans don't show on ebay) I usually wait until there is  a problem or if a buyer asks for a tracking number.  When I print a small packet label I print an extra copy so that I have a copy of the UR number.

If you track to the delivery address in Delaware, the buyer cannot win a DNR (Item not received) dispute.

UNDELIVERABLE ITEMS

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

This is the part I'm referring to

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup
-Not covered

The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout-
Not covered

If you are faced with this again, refuse the refund because you can show Proof of Delivery.

If he opens an eBay or Paypal dispute, you can show Proof of Delivery.

If he tries a chargeback, show Proof of Delivery and hope for the best, because credit card chargebacks are hard to predict.

Were those previous buyers just demanding a refund, or had they opened an INR dispute? Were you able to show Proof of Delivery to the address supplied by the buyer?

@oldhousejunk wrote:

Hi, long time seller here. Only ship to north america, but lately international buyers are buying and their address is a shipping container in DE.   I've had a number of DNR issues with these, and end up giving refunds (grudgingly) . How on earth do I stop this? Thanks for any help you can give. 

As a sidenote to @reallynicestamps  if there was tracking previously entered updating the tracking now adds a secondary tracking number. The second number will be whatever date you re-entered.Unable to confirm if the original ship date is viewable by eBay.

How I discovered this was inadvertently updating a UR tracking number after the fact when no tracking was displaying. This is a glitch on eBay's side. If you pull up the order details you will see the 2 tracking numbers with an option to edit.

For most in house manually entered shipping systems, the standard options are courier used, tracking number and date shipped. Editing would let you edit any or all. With one set of details displayed.

-Lotz

Tracking is six of one half a dozen of the other.

Would the cost of tracking everything you sell (or even just the freight forwarded items) be greater than your losses to the complaints.?

Keep in mind that the complaining buyers may actually be right and they have not received their purchases at the time of the complaint. Just as you can't confirm delivery, you can't confirm non-delivery.

The other part of these freight forwarded sales is that you are paying a higher payment processing fee for them. Domestic (US) sales are charged at 2,9% while overseas sales are 4.4%. 

One way out of the situation, if you don't mind having the sales, is to use eBay's own Global Shipping Program, which allows you to ship, with tracking, to their plant in Kentucky, after which most of the Money Back Guarantee disappears for the buyer, particularly the INR and 'stuck in customs' scams.

marnotom!
Community Member
How many is “a number” of issues?

@oldhousejunk wrote:

@pjcdn2005 

In the past if you updated the tracking (overwrote) the original tracking it replaced the tracking with the new number and updated the date as the date of the new entry

Now if you update (to correct) it lists both tracking numbers to the order detail AND changes the original shipping date believing (suggesting) the shipment has a new date. 

The same thing happens if you entered the  tracking originally(either manually or by an automatic system) but a case is opened for an INR. One f the system requirements (for some unknown reason) is to add tracking. This should NOT be necessary. The original tracking would/should still be there.

-Lotz

Whether or not the package is actually tracked, it would be worthwhile to enter any barcode into the Dispute.

If it isn't tracked to the forwarder, you are probably going to lose anyway-- in which case you should be using either third party insurance or Cookie Jar Insurance.

If the bots dealing with the INR dispute mistake the barcode for tracking you are ahead of the game.

If your shipment is under 500gr, Tracked Packet will be double or triple SmallPacket USA. But once you hit the one kilo mark, the difference is more reasonable.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1