Shippo Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having issues trying to setup an account with Shippo. These hosers want me to email them a copy of a photo ID card and credit card to "avoid fraud". It's not like I'm asking for the launch codes for the nukes... How is having my photo gonna help them when doing business via the net ? Every other business can check your credit card validity no problem, but these guys need photo ID. Anyone else had this problem ? Are there any alternatives to using this **bleep**py service ?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Shippo Issues

No I was never asked for ID bybShippo and don’t have any problems when using them.   Are you signing up with them through your eBay account?  If not that could be the problem as they wouldn’t know you would be paying with PP.

Have you already signed up for a small business number with Canada Post?  You will need that for all of the sites.  You could also use PayPal or Canada Post’s  Snapship to print  labels.  Like Snapship, PayPal has all of the buyers info so you don’t have to enter it.  On Snapship you have to enter the buyers info and use a credit card to pay.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

This is highly unusual. I’ve not heard of this happening to anyone else. Are you positive you’re dealing with Shippo and not a victim of phishing?
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

I never had to send any sort of ID info to Shippo when I made my account back then.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Signing up through eBay for eBay use or trying to set up a direct account with goshippo.com for other shipping use?

Elsewhere: Amazon wants photo ID if you want to sell on their website -- just having a credit card is not good enough for them.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't seem like phishing, got redirected to Shippo from Ebay when I went to print a shipping label. Exchanged a few emails, replies came from "xxx@shippo.zendesk.com". Phishing or not, they sure aren't going to get any photo ID or anything else from me.

I've setup a Canada Post account, but keep getting "server is busy" from that, which seems to be a common issue.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't seem like phishing, got redirected to Shippo from Ebay when I went to print a shipping label. Exchanged a few emails, replies came from "xxx@shippo.zendesk.com". Phishing or not, they sure aren't going to get any photo ID or anything else from me.

All email that I have ever had (since June 2017) from Shippo has come from goshippo.com -- the shippo.zendesk address seems rather suspicious.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

That doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Log into shippo directly and try again. https://goshippo.com/register/platforms/ebay_ca/?next=/user/platform/ebay_ca/orders/%3Flang%3Den-US%...

I think you're being hustled. None of us have been asked to provide sensitive information by Shippo when creating an account.

tyler@ebay 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

I never use Shippo. I go straight to Canada Post and print my labels from there. You get the small business discount and the process is super easy to use. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

@desertvalleyauctions wrote:

I never use Shippo. I go straight to Canada Post and print my labels from there. You get the small business discount and the process is super easy to use. 

You are required to use a credit card for Canada Post.

Shippo lets you use your PayPal balance for ebay shipments.

No copy and paste required for Shippo for eBay shipments.

Those are the main differences between Shippo and Canada Post.

The ebay discounts via Shippo disappeared last year, so prices are now the same for both.

-..-

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Zendesk is a software product for help desk management. Many companies use it. I believe inkFrog does.

So the urls make sense that you are getting.

As for requesting the personal information that does seem to be excessive.

https://www.zendesk.com/
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

@momcqueen wrote:

That doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Log into shippo directly and try again. https://goshippo.com/register/platforms/ebay_ca/?next=/user/platform/ebay_ca/orders/%3Flang%3Den-US%...

I think you're being hustled. None of us have been asked to provide sensitive information by Shippo when creating an account.

tyler@ebay 

Thanks for the tag @momcqueen!

Hi @Anonymous - this seems unusual, I'm going to check into this to see if there's any reason why Shippo would request such information from you. Until then, however, I wouldn't provide such detail. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Hi @Anonymous - I've heard back that the email address you mention (zendesk) is the account that Shippo uses to provide support. 

Additionally, there are situations where they would request those kinds of details, though they are rare. They should be asking you just for the last 4 of your card, and specifically asking you to cover up the other details. This is done to help validate your identity. 

I definitely understand if you would prefer not to share that with them. You could continue to use the postage alternatives that other folks here mentioned as an alternative! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gave up on Shippo, I've printed my shipping label & customs form from PayPal, everything went well & got a discount of a few bucks. The only issue was dealing with the people at Canada Post, who didn't seem familiar with these preprinted & prepaid labels (I live in the boonies, so they probably don't see them often). In the end, parcel went out & everyone is happy.

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Shippo Issues

Glad to hear that you were able to get it out @Anonymous, and with minimal headache to boot. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 15
latest reply