Error message

edbrach
Community Member

I live in Canada and just recently I ran across a problem trying to purchase an item on eBay (a hunting knife in one case and a sheath for a folding knife in another case) from a dealer based in the US.

Both of the dealers provide international shipping.

When I pressed the "Buy Now" button the system didn't allow me to complete the transaction and showed this error message (attached screen shot):

We are sorry but the item you selected may nor be purchased due to Seller shipping restrictions, country specific import/export or other relevant restrictions.  {e45380-778539x}

Error code: 70205 70226

I emailed the sellers with this matter, none of whom have gotten back to me, yet.

I think they are as stumped as me.

I tried to find an answer at eBay self-hep and of course they have very problem covered but this one.

I would have phoned them but can't find a contact number, how convenient.

Does anyone here know what this is all about?

Why am I getting this error message?

I have bought both knives and sheaths from other US based sellers but was, am unable to buy the two that I really want.

Thanks in advance.

edbrach

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Error message

I realize you said that you've purchased similar before, but somehow I'm guessing you received them as a fluke? Got to admit I watch Border Patrol sometimes - find it fascinating and sometimesS0 funny (the stuff people try to get into the country), it's usually based in Vancouver at the airport and the main P.O. where when x-rayed items such as knives show up, they're usually thrown in the bin. Just a thought.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Error message

Yes I've purchased similar before from other sellers and had no problem purchasing it, or item being delivered to me in Canada from the US.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Error message

item you selected may nor be purchased due to Seller shipping restrictions,

Since you say that none of the sellers have gotten back to you, I suspect they just don't want your business.

Keep in mind that an awful lot of US sellers were unknowingly signed up for the Global Shipping Program, although they have no interest in shipping outside the USA.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Error message

I've gotten the same error code today and cannot buy from a US vendor that does provide shipping to Canada. The vendor confirmed this and was also surprised by this apparent restriction.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Error message

What is the listing number for this item?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Error message

Hello,

I have the completely same issue with that error message.

The eBay item number is: 181512422494

My location would be: Hungary.

Thank you for your answers in advance!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Error message

Hello,

I am a seller who has a knife listed and have been messaged twice with this error.  Once from Canada and once from Australia.  I have no restrictions on shipping this knife.  It comes directly from Ebay.  I have allowed worldwide shipping and also Ebay's global shipping.  I'll ship however the buyer wants.  This message is still coming up.  I went in to revise my item and see nothing wrong with the listing but there is a message from Ebay saying that if I sell worldwide the sale may go through another party and the item/shipment may have restrictions.  I'm attaching a photo of this message.  I'm going to try sending an offer to the buyer and see if it will work that way.  I'm not sure if it will.

Ebay is very particular about what items can be shipped internationally.  I suspect the error is coming from them but I don't  understand why the sellers haven't answered the buyers who would like to purchase their items.

Wish me luck!

Best regards to all,

mtgoldrush

International sale restriction

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Error message

Take a good look at eBay's knives policy:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Error message

The gsp won't ship weapons (guns/knives) so that could be the problem, however, you have the gsp checked off but your listings are not showing the gsp option so I am a bit confused. It might be because you do have a USPS service listed for worldwide. For each particular country a seller has to use the GSP or ship direct, the listing will not show both options.  Apparently you can show the gsp for some countries and ship direct to other countries but I don't think that is what is happening with your listings. For the knife listing, if you uncheck the gsp and leave the USPS options, perhaps the buyers won't get that message??

Just for your info, two of your listings (pocket watch and lifeline) do not show any shipping cost outside of the U.S. If you want to look at a listing to see what people in other countries see, go into the listing, click on the shipping tab and then change the country.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Error message

I'm trying to buy a DVD and I get the same error message. Are Depeche Mode DVDs dangerous or banned?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Error message

I'm not familiar with them but what is the exact message that you are getting and what is the listing number?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Error message

Hi I had the same problem and same message trying to buy 2 wooden handle used kitchen knives... both were none folding kitchen knives sold in the 1970-1980s ... most knifes are now cheap china **bleep**... I bet you can't even order plastic knives off ebay.... I've been telling everyone for years now we are losing our freedoms Daily ... WELCOME to COMMY CANADA

I googled CANADIAN shipping Laws when the second knife AD came up like the first... 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Error message

This thread is old enough to enroll in a public elementary school.

My point is that it’s old and out-of-date.

Best to start a new thread so that information presented will be current.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Error message

I had this same thing happen to me.  The buyer was shipping via the Global Shipping Program and

apparently the GSP has some " buzz words" that it doesn't like and could restrict the buyer from

buying.  I called Ebay and they sort of told me what I just stated.  The seller, in the USA, did not

seem to know how to change anything with his listing.  I asked if he would edit the listing and

ship via USPS International rate, which has tracking.  He apparently did not know how to do this.

So, I was unable to purchase the item.  I have had this exact situation happen before and the

seller changed the shipping to USPS and I was then able to buy the item. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Error message

PS   I also collect knives and do not purchase anything illegal or prohibited.  I have only once

had a knife held up in Customs (Richmond) for two weeks and likely because they were checking

to see if it met the criteria for Canada.  It did and was released and a duty charge was imposed.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Error message

eBay  has a list of restricted and prohibited items that cannot be sold on eBay... 

Sometimes this applies to a specific country.

OR...  This prohibition may be extending to an item  that  may not qualify... but  the prohibition applies once it is applied to an item...

Both the seller  ... first ... and then the buyer ... should know,   and understand, this reality.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Error message

pps If you look at items on the Ebay US site and the seller's shipping says US only it means

just that.  I have tried to purchase certain items by contacting the seller and seeing if he will

ship to Canada in order to buy the item (buy now) or bid.  Unless he changes the shipping

to include Canada you can not do either one.  Some sellers will do this immediately and others can't be bothered or don't seem to know how to change the shipping settings.  So, it is best

not to tempt yourself with items on the US Site that will not ship to Canada.  Some items do

not seem to turn up in Canada so it makes it difficult to not be able to purchase from the US.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply