Over charged shipping fee?

ttdnn
Community Member
Hi everyone, I need some advice please. I purchased an pair of earring from eBay Sept 15.The seller posted that (estimate) i should be receive the items between Sept 18 to 20 and I had to pay $44 US for shipping fee but I didnt receive the items until today Sept 28. I called Canada post a few days ago once and they said the items was currently in Custom at the time and it would be there up to 10 days because the seller only pay some $20 ish for shipping that why it will have to stay longer in custom before the item can release to me. Today when I received the package, i couldnt find the shipping fee that they paid but all there was US postage and fees paid, commercial plus pricing.(and PMI PKG 062S0007779091). I would like to know how much this seller paid for the package so i can talk to them to ask to refund some of my shipping money since it took way longer to receiving the items. Any one can help, please? Thanks!

P/S. I purchased the pair of earrings for an birthday gift thought they would arrived in time but they came late passed the date 😞
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I understand that i have to pay duty tax when buying across the border.

You would be charged by Canada Post or by FedEx.

Canada Post actually charged you less than the courier, by $15 or so.

I know that sometime when you pay for your shipping, the duty fee is also cover with it.

Those are fairly expensive services. Probably more than the $44 by FedEx the seller wanted.

In this case, seller didnt even mention or warning buyer that they have to pay extra for duty on top of shipping fee or anything like that.

Most sellers don't know.

Remember US residents can import $800 duty-free, while Canadians pay after $20. EBay used to have a bit of boilerplate reminding buyers that import fees were their responsibility and not that of the seller.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

If the seller used USPS/Canada Post to ship, it could be argued that the money saved in FedEx fees makes up for the overcharge by not shipping the way you explicitly paid for.

It's a very bad arguement.

Do contact the seller, politely, and point out that the shipment was later than promised and the service used was cheaper and slower and how does he intend to make this right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3k2xA1Wcw

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Did it come with the Global Shipping Program from the US?

What was the price of the earrings?

What Canada Post told you is a bunch of huey. Customs is very slow these days due to all the drugs coming into Canada by mail.

Also, you agreed to the shipping prior to purchase and to complain after the fact is not Kosher regardless of what the seller paid.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

ttdnn
Community Member
They used USPS to sent. The price of the earrings is $225 US, shipping fee: $44 US.

I agreed to the shipping fee only if they use the full amount thay i paid them to worth my benefit (having the package faster). That is what im thinking.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Is this the item  

Diamond hoop earrings 14K white gold 10 round brilliants .45CT hinged 5/8" long!

If so, it gave you 2 choices Fedex for $44 or USPS for 39.

Fedex would have charged you a brokerage fee and would have cost you a lot more once you received it.

Did it say anything on the envelope for postage and did you have to pay anything additional when you received it as far as GST/HST, etc once it cleared customs?

Sellers can't guarantee delivery for international sales due to customs. Customs can hold it up for anywhere from 7 to 45 days.

Canada Post can have a customs delay of up to 44 days now.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

On Sept. 15 you purchased earrings from a US seller.

The seller offered FedEx shipping at $44 or USPS at $39.
You chose FedEx and paid the $44.

The seller shipped by USPS/Canada Post

The estimated date for arrival as Sept 18-20.
Was this date given by the seller or by eBay?

The earrings arrived on Sept 28.
This was out of the seller’s hands. Arrival is controlled by the shipper (USPS ) as well as by border officials.

BUT - FedEx is usually faster than the postal service and you did pay for that service.***

HOWEVER- FedEx would have charged you import fees covering Canadian duty, sales taxes and a service fee of $25 or more, while Canada Post has a lower service fee ($9.95) and generally does not charge it or any import fees on small or low value packages.

This was not, however, a low value package.

Did you pay import fees and customs brokerage/service fees when you received the package? To a letter carrier, a FedEx carrier or at the PO?

because the seller only paid $20 for shipping.
Hooey is right.
$20 sounds like a USPS service, which tends to be much cheaper than the commercial carriers.
If you look here
https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440
You can enter weight and dimensions (Use Calculate by Shape and Size) to see what services were available to the seller.
This may tell you what he actually used.
Most labels don’t give the postage, because it is none of the recipient’s business.

But again, FedEx does not hand parcels over to Canada Post*

First, a little nag.

Never order by mail, when you need something by a particular date. The more important the date, the more likely a fail.

But we all get overly optimistic.

If you did pay the $44 for FedEx but Canada Post did deliver the earrings, the transaction could be Disputed as Not As Described, since the agreed shipping method was not used.

OTOH, the seller could then demand the earrings be returned before refunding.

On the third hand, he would have to send you Return Postage, which is difficult** internationally.

As things stand, you got the parcel later than you wanted it, and later than you paid for it to arrive.

The point of contention is that you paid $44 for a $20(?) service.

I think you should Contact the seller and ask for the difference.

But a formal dispute would be difficult.

*If you are in an isolated or rural location where there is no courier service, Canada Post might be subcontracted. This would cause a delay.

On the other hand, we're talking about Old Crow NT here not Buchan's NL.

**There is some thought that the new Shippo shipping service can handle Canada Post/USPS return labels. No one has reported actually doing this yet.

***FedEx is particularly sneaky about this. They will deliver the shipment and bill for import fees and customs brokerage/service fees a week or so later.

Note--FedEx does offer a high priced service in which the import fees and customs brokerage/service fees are included in the price of the service and the parcel sails through customs since all fees have been paid in advance.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

ttdnn
Community Member
I had to paid $46 for GST/ HST tax when they delieverd the package to my door. I meant I understand that i have to pay duty tax when buying across the border. I know that sometime when you pay for your shipping, the duty fee is also cover with it. In this case, seller didnt even mention or warning buyer that they have to pay extra for duty on top of shipping fee or anything like that.

The estimate delivery from Sept 18 to Sept 20 is posted by Seller on her eBay post.

Just want to know what to do in this case since things didnt happen the way it use to me when i purchased on eBay since i had been eBay member for a long time. There are couple time that i agreed with the shipping fee already but seller contact me after and volunteerly refund some of my money because they found better sgipping rate for me.

In this case, all i need to know is: Is it reasonable or right to confirm the seller about shipping fee or not? Thats all. Thank you for all your time and concern!

*forgot to mention the "$20 ish" shipping fee was from the Canadian Post employer who i spoke to. I didnt making those up myseft.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I understand that i have to pay duty tax when buying across the border.

You would be charged by Canada Post or by FedEx.

Canada Post actually charged you less than the courier, by $15 or so.

I know that sometime when you pay for your shipping, the duty fee is also cover with it.

Those are fairly expensive services. Probably more than the $44 by FedEx the seller wanted.

In this case, seller didnt even mention or warning buyer that they have to pay extra for duty on top of shipping fee or anything like that.

Most sellers don't know.

Remember US residents can import $800 duty-free, while Canadians pay after $20. EBay used to have a bit of boilerplate reminding buyers that import fees were their responsibility and not that of the seller.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

If the seller used USPS/Canada Post to ship, it could be argued that the money saved in FedEx fees makes up for the overcharge by not shipping the way you explicitly paid for.

It's a very bad arguement.

Do contact the seller, politely, and point out that the shipment was later than promised and the service used was cheaper and slower and how does he intend to make this right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3k2xA1Wcw

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

ttdnn
Community Member
Thank you for all your advice. Will contact the seller nicely.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply