A smack in the face to all

The lineman risking life and limb working long hours in adverse weather conditions restoring electrical power, listening to the belly aching whiners (Ontarian’s)  rant and rave about their lack of electricity.

Do you think these frostbitten workers freezing hands and butts really want to hear your belly aching.

Have many linemen friends and have worked in severe adverse weather conditions many a time to know your **bleep**ing is not appreciated

Now quit crying and prepare yourself for the future as it will get worse before it gets better.

Most people I know have alternate sources of electricity and heat and can all readily sow a seed and milk a goat, LOL

Are you ready?

The linemen and tree surgeons are all doing a great job.

Mayor Ford also doing a great job.

Time to plan the veggy garden 2014

W1

Beware of muffin bakin cellulite packin hot flashin dogmatic fibbin braggard nana's
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

We see that you still have power and heat. 

Keep warm.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I feel very sad for the Ontarian’s. The people and the lineman!!!!!

Not everyone can afford to prepare for a possible power failure.

I live in North Central Saskatchewan. At this moment it's -43. No wind chill.

We are prepared with a gas power generator large enough to run the whole house. As long as we have gas to operate it. LOL

We also have a wood stove in our shop and could move out there if needed.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Not as bad as 98.

The ice storm led to the largest deployment of Canadian military personnel  with over 16,000 Canadian personnel deployed, 12,000 in Quebec and 4,000 in Ontario at the height of the crisis.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I heard a radio program yesterday that was talking about a proposed ban on wood burning stoves for Canada.  This is a proposal brought forth by your friendly neighbourhood Conservative Party so no doubt it will become law - page 5498 of the next omnibus bill.  (that was sarcasm for those who don't recognize it)  It may also have something to do with the U.S. government proposing to ban these stoves. 

The idea is supposedly fueled (no pun intended) by several recent deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.  I guess they need to ban generators as the only recent deaths I read about were a couple who brought a gas powered generator indoors.  The discussion on the radio show leads me to believe it has nothing to do with deaths.

It seems that many people feel it is an environmental issue (O.K. to hug a tree, you just can't burn one).  Lots of callers were complaining about the smoke from their neighbour's wood burning stoves.  It was affecting their "quality of life".  Apparently, the mayor of Montreal (I thought he was in jail) is moving to ban them within Montreal city limits.  Now the movement has gone Federal.

I can just see Stevie Wonder knocking on doors in the north telling the residents that they can't burn wood.  Heck, if everybody had a wood stove, we wouldn't have to worry about being without hydro for a week. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@Man Very Happytoby_le_pue wrote:

Not as bad as 98.

The ice storm led to the largest deployment of Canadian military personnel  with over 16,000 Canadian personnel deployed, 12,000 in Quebec and 4,000 in Ontario at the height of the crisis.

My home was off grid for 15 days in 98.

We had generators,propane fireplace,cooking stove and hot water.

Woodstove back up.

Have since upgraded to a 20,000 watt auto on propane fueled generator.

Bring it on

With many more adverse weather natural phenomena predicted and the natives being restless, its best one prepares oneself LOL

W1

Beware of muffin bakin cellulite packin hot flashin dogmatic fibbin braggard nana's
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It's been a few years (OMG! It's been a couple of decades!) since I was in the woodstove business, but at that time woodstove bans were being put in place in a few locations.

Usually these were places where there were no reliable winds to clear out woodsmoke. This was not just an aesthetic problem, there were smogs as bad as LosAngeles or those London pea-soupers that were finally ended by legislation controlling the burning of coal.

\Even when I left the industry catalytic burners were coming into general use. These stoves burn the smoke and creosote as well as the wood (or pellets or straw- we had a wide variety of burners.)

Potential customers would occasionally remark on how nice the woodsmoke from our shop chimneys smelled. They were startled by our flurry of action to adjust our stoves. Our ambition was to burn so cleanly that no smoke was released. That nice smelll was a warning that we were not meeting our goals.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The lineman and everyone is doing a great job but no pitty party for them ..Hydro workers paid very well for what they do and they know what there job is when they sign up ..

I have been working in -50C my entire life for 8,12,14 an hr ...

Job job guys but no pity party here

Message 8 of 8
latest reply