Are military items restricted in Canada only?

I'm trying to list a WWII steel helmet, but can't even open-up the present listings to compare the style etc. Apparently there are legal restrictions in place, that blocks access to these items! A total of 770 items are presently listed and a good percentage of them have bids. I've tried to list a letter opener with a handle made from an empty bullet shell - and my listing was cancelled almost immediately. Before wasting my time listing said helmet, is there a way to circumvent the Canadian restrictions? All my listings are with e-bay.com.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Is the helmet Canadian OR German, British etc. There should be no problem listing a Brit or Cdn one. If it's german and shows the nazi decal that may cause a headache.
Brass shells are not allowed, brass helmets are.
Jaime
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I've listed the item, a British WWll steel helmet. As expected however, the item can't be accessed, all you get is the following message:

Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive alternatives. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

That being the case, who and how could someone bid on this item? Surely nobody from Canada! Listing is with e-bay.com, will US bidders have access to this item?
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The item got a bid right-away from someone in the Russian Federation. At least they can open-up and see my listing. But is it save to ship anything there? In five years of e-bay selling I've never sold anything to Russia!
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

qbnco
Community Member
Hi I am located in Newfoundland, Canada. I just checked your listing in question, and had no problems accessing it. no message was displayed. Hopefully it is just a glitch, and the auction will do well.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks quality_brand_name_clothing_outlet. At least some hope that others than the Americans and Russians (where my present 4 bids are comming from) can see my listing. Just checked, but the message of blocked access is still there - after all, may be it's ment for the French population of Quebec only!!?? and I just get it by mistake!
My question remains to some helpful powerseller who may have shipped to the Russian Federation: is their postal service reliable to deliver on time? (the present high-bidder is still from Russia)
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
Shipping to Russia? I've had mixed success using Canada Post. With Canada Post Small Packet - there's no tracking so you are completely at the mercy of the buyer and getting tracking costs a fortune.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
I haven't shipped a lot to Russia but I have sent valuable old postcards - no problem and no longer than any other international mailing. As far as tracking, I never use it and I've never had a problem (touch wood!)- I find most collectors are honest. They don't want to jeopardize their chances of future dealing with any seller!

As far as being at the mercy of the buyer, well ... they're at your mercy too and they send their money first!!
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I've shipped to Russia a bit (maybe 20 packages) haven't had any problems or unusual delays.

Only low/modest value records so not much risk of thievery. Delivery times only slightly slower than the rest of Europe.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

You're getting a great price on it!
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It was great to see the number of bids and especially the dollar value in the absence of having access to the actual item listing! 9 more bidders are presently on the watch list with a potential to increase the bid amount.
However, I still wonder why I can't see the listing here in Quebec, when another Canadian in Newfoundland had no problem to see the entire page!?
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I'm in Quebec and had no problem viewing it as a completed listing.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I still can't access the original listing! Transaction with a US customer however evolved without any problems. He just left me a positive feedback - now - I don't know how to return him the favour without the possibility to access the item listing! Your help is appreciated.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Use the Feedback Forum in your My eBay.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks zarzuella. Once you see it, it sounds almost stupid to ask the initial question. In five years I've always just responded to the feedback left by the buyer without using the feedback forum!
Thanks again - I'll remember it!
Message 15 of 15
latest reply