Asia shipping delays

obee821
Community Member
I don't know have any of you, have order something on eBay during mid of September to mid October, between this time , I hv over 10 different transaction for different seller, but I only received two orders so far, the seller mostly is from Korea, and usually orders would only take 2-4 weeks to arrive but is been over 2 months, I am in Vancouver, just wanna see is anyone here on the same boat , thanks
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Asia shipping delays

@obee821 wrote:
I don't know have any of you, have order something on eBay during mid of September to mid October, between this time , I hv over 10 different transaction for different seller, but I only received two orders so far, the seller mostly is from Korea, and usually orders would only take 2-4 weeks to arrive but is been over 2 months, I am in Vancouver, just wanna see is anyone here on the same boat , thanks

My last Hong Kong order took 6 days longer than eBay's last estimated delivery date (and that was estimate was around 4 weeks).

Check your orders for estimated delivery time, you have 30 days from that date estimate to file an Item-Not-Received request with eBay -- after that you have to make an INR claim through paypal (180 days after date of purchase).

-..-

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

This appeared in a recent report from the PO:

""" Canada Post has focused their business on the popularity of online shopping. A lot of this product comes from Asia, and because of the international postage regulations for third world countries, Canada Post receives little to no revenue for this product. Because of this, major plants across Canada stockpile this product for weeks until they have the resources to work it, causing delays in service."""""

Asian shipments with long transit times are generally not the fault of the sellers.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they get their items into the mail immediately because they know what they're up against.

It seems that Canada is an especially difficult country for them and you can the reason why (above).

(Cut them some (or a lot of)  slack.)

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Sylvie-- I understand you buy a lot of supplies from Asia. Are you finding this with your regular suppliers?

I seem to remember you thought that beads in particular were being held up at customs by agents checking carefully for fentanyl.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

femme,  you must be thinking of someone else because I don't buy beads from Asia.

I buy from random sellers (odds and ends for repairs etc.) and they're almost all equally slow, but it's rare for something to never arrive.  Once in while an item is lost but that's also true of my items coming from the States.

Once in a while an item arrives within the month but those items are probably just hitting Canada just before they decide to process the load they've been stockpiling.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I bought mostly low cost items from Asia, almost all came from China or Hong Kong, they sell the same cheap electronic stuff and cables. Since Jan 2016, delivery has deteriorated from 3,4 weeks to 2 months or more. 3 items from Sep 2016 never made it so far.

I started taking a closer look at the purchases, items from Hong Kong arrived in 6-8 weeks. items from China were all missing.
Taking note of substances coming from China killing people in the streets, I would think all goods originating from China, big and small, are stopped by CBSA for scanning and fine tooth-combing.

So far the merchants refunded all the missing goods, taking all these losses from Canadian buyers, it won't be long that Canada will be on their NO SHIPPING list. I stop buying from China seller for now, only from Hong Kong seller and hope that they are actually shipping from Hong Kong PO.

Fingers crossed.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@xqsme2003 wrote:

I bought mostly low cost items from Asia, almost all came from China or Hong Kong, they sell the same cheap electronic stuff and cables. Since Jan 2016, delivery has deteriorated from 3,4 weeks to 2 months or more. 3 items from Sep 2016 never made it so far.

I started taking a closer look at the purchases, items from Hong Kong arrived in 6-8 weeks. items from China were all missing.

There was another poster who said a cargo ship went down or something, or the crates were lost.  I couldn't find a real story about it when I googled it so I'm not sure if it is true, or related, or something altogether different.  But if there is any truth in it,

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/User-to-User-Help/Can-anyone-explain-why-without-notice-I-would-lose-a-...

Or it could be what the other poster here said,

"Canada Post receives little to no revenue for this product. Because of this, major plants across Canada stockpile this product for weeks until they have the resources to work it, causing delays in service."

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

When I was managing a store that sold patio furniture (among other things) we lost a container of cast iron benches when the ship was taken by pirates in the South China Sea.

Hand to God.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Yep.... every year, for the past 4 years my electronic parts from Asia at this time of year either go missing or take several months. I find now though that the sellers are offering refunds without even asking for it. I've known that Canada Post is to blame for

most of the delay for some time. Its almost seems strategic in some way. But the reality is electronic parts are obscenely

expensive from North American companies and some stuff is just not available here anymore. Shipping costs here are insane

also compared to the rest of the world.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

A cargo ship DID NOT go down.  However, a bankrupt Hanjin cargo shop did lose a few containers overboard at the Juan De Fuca Strait near Victoria, BC.  The ship, after long dealys due to bankrupcy, was finally successful in off loading the containers.  On its way out of port, a few EMPTY boxes were not secured and fell over board, they were empty.

The Hanjin problem may also have caused asian goods delays, but, this MISSING goods fiasco started long before Hanjin's trouble in Sep 2016.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I did some digging and that quote is not from official Canada Post reports. It is from Glenn Bennet, the President of Prairie Region, Local 856, Canadian Union of Postal Workers speaking at a Standing Committee of Parliament on Oct. 21/2016.

Some other notable quotes from Mr. Bennett :

"For the product that's coming in from the third world countries, Asia is what we are particularly concerned about. We know that product is coming over by the boatload, and it's being stockpiled in China until they can load it on. It's being entered into our system.

In fact, in Vancouver it's sitting there in trucks, waiting to be worked."

"I mentioned in my report that it's sitting there and it's costing Canada Post money. We need to do something. If you say that there's assistance coming in 2018 through the international postal fund, that's probably good news for Canada Post. Literally, it's losing money on this product."

And this from Nick Whalen (St. John's East, Lib.) something about the postage rates going up for China to Canada parcels :

"On the Universal Postal Union, my understanding is that the China situation will soon be resolved and that they will be affected by new rates in 2018, largely pushed by the Americans. I'm not sure how that affects international rates from other countries."

Bennett apparently wrote a report about the Asia parcel situation in Vancouver. I will try to dig it up.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@andremontevilla wrote:

I did some digging and that quote is not from official Canada Post reports.

Bennett apparently wrote a report about the Asia parcel situation in Vancouver. I will try to dig it up.

Maybe while you are conducting your excavations you could provide the source links for the other members here.  Otherwise one reader's personal interpretation is as good as the next .  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Got Google?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Of course.  I just think that if you are going to make these assertions then the onus is on you to back them up.  🙂 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Of course.  I just think that if you are going to make these assertions then the onus is on you to back them up.  🙂 

That's the difference between you and I, I guess.

When sylviebee posted the original quote without a source, I just copy and pasted it in Google...and lo and behold I found it. 

Didn't even cross my mind to do what you did.Smiley Tongue 

In fact, I even thanked her for bringing it to my attention, erroneous credit and all.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@xqsme2003 wrote:

There was another poster who said a cargo ship went down or something, or the crates were lost.  I couldn't find a real story about it when I googled it so I'm not sure if it is true, or related, or something altogether different.  But if there is any truth in it,

Or it could be what the other poster here said,

"Canada Post receives little to no revenue for this product. Because of this, major plants across Canada stockpile this product for weeks until they have the resources to work it, causing delays in service."

That's exactly how rumors start:

"I'm not sure if it is true, or related, or something altogether different.  But if there is any truth in it,,

Someone else's  opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information is nothing but conjecture.

I'm not sure if Canada post receives no revenue from shipments originating from China and there's a stockpile of them waiting to be processed, it might be true ,it sure  makes  sense  ,it also makes sense the delay  could have been  caused by a surge in shipment of drugs but without a direct source we can never verify if any of it.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Take any one of the quotes above from my message or sylviebee's and paste them whole into Google. Then click on the first link returned. It's that easy. 

And as a general rule, I would say that anything that is published on a forum is generally conjecture. That why you need to search for it yourself like you did for the boat story. That one sounded bogus from the start. Just like "the surge in shipment of drugs" you just tossed in at the end of your message. Nice conjecture on your part there. 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply