Can I Get Some Help Re A Problem Buyer Please?

jakeeangel
Community Member
Problem buyer, go figure! I'm at a bit of a loss and would like some opinions as to what to do here. I guess I'm too deep in it and far too synical these days so I'm asking for help.

Got a guy who bought something for a couple hundred bucks from me. He completes checkout saying he'll pay by other. Then he asks for a PayPal invoice and will PayPal if I send directly to his customer. I say sorry no. I'm not a dropshipper and am concerned about any claims. He then emails that he doesn't want the item as the customer no longer wants or needs it. I get three emails asking what I want him to do. I ignore because the answer is I want you to pay for it dummy! DUH!!

After more emails I tell him that, nicely. Give him the mommy lecture that I was disappointed in the actions of a fellow seller, he should know it costs money we can't recoup, waste of time & money etc and that I want him to follow through with what he committed to and pay for what he bought. I get a sob story about his pregnant wife (which draws NO sympathy from me whatsoever) and that he doesn't have the money to buy something he doesn't need or want.

Meanwhile back at the farm. I see this guy selling the exact same thing he bought from me on eBay and on his website. hmmm.... I say nothing further and wait to file UPI. I do so and in the dispute he repeats the customer no longer wants or needs the item and he's not paying for something he doesn't want or need and that I should be understanding and not force him to buy it. The he says I should file with eBay saying I (he) wants to return the item and I'll get my listing fees back. ?????

I post copies of his emails to me, I ask what he's talking about return what? you never paid so nothing's been shipped and close it giving him a strike.

Guess what? He pays me then sends several emails saying hes paid now he wants to return the item. HUH??? Nice terminology. When eBay reads 'return' they're going to believe he has it even though I say it's not been shipped. Cute. I ignore messages. Then I notice eBay reverses strike.

I ask Useless Help if it's because it's his first or can he get the strike reversed on a technicality cause he did pay but he wants a refund. Now the genious has filed an INR claim with PayPal.

What would you do? And lets not forget this is all under the threat of an impending neg that I did NOTHING to deserve. Oh wait, no! I was stupid and didn't make it immediate payment required.

Sorry for the book. What would you do? Can I refund less a percentage for restocking like he charges his customers?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

whoscloset
Community Member
I would have let him out of the purchase in the first place and saved myself the headache. Why didn't you just file a mutual cancellation?

Monique

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Hi Monique,

Thanks for muddling through all that. 🙂 Well, I didn't for a few reasons. One I didn't want this guy to think he can go around pressing buttons and not pay, two, eBay should know theres a buyer running around not paying for things and three, this guy sells some of the same items I am.

I think he bought it to take mine out of the running, to boost his items and possibly damage my seller reputation for buyers looking at the same items.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Those are all good and valid arugments that eBay will completely ignore.

The fact is that in the new ebay world ebay expects sellers to simply cancel the transaction and move on rather than force the buyer to pay if they do not want the item nor if they changed their minds.

EbaY's attitude is that as a buyer you have the right to cancel at anytime without consequences whereas the seller you are obligated to comply to the buyers request no matter if it is before or after the sale.

They are so paranoid about losing buyers that they are now forcing us sellers to accept their new selling terms and if you do not then you will pay the price as you have no recourse if the buyer leaves you a negative or neutral.

The removal of seller feedback, the new DSR ratings and Buyer Dissatisfaction ratings plus neutrals now being counted all contribute to ebay's ability to punish you as a seller - small volume sellers are being targetted by ebay as they make up the bulk of sellers on ebay.

The large volume sellers can easily mask their DSR scores so they appear to be good sellers.

As Mr. Donohue made it very clear - he wants ebay to lose it image of the world's largest fleamarket.

Thats what these new changes are supposed to help ebay acheive this new direction.

Next month will be even more of an interesting time here on ebay.

Welcome to the new eBaY!

TIM @ FTL
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Ahhhh, I see. I probably still would have let it go cause I just wouldn't want the hassle.

I actually have a competitor who often buys off me and has be drop ship it to his customer if he runs low on stock. I don't mind...money is money. 🙂

Monique

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
True enough that money is money but with the video game category you get all kinds of nutcases. I was afraid to take the risk of losing product and money.

I just got off the phone with him. It was kind of funny. 'You're being mean and forcing me to buy it' <--insert whiny kid voice. LOL He thought he could negate the UPI strike by paying and then demanding a refund, filing an INR etc etc. That's exactly how I interpreted his actions and sadly, I was right.

He's a kid who thinks he can get rich of eBay by using other sellers as dropshippers while failing to see or plan for any problems that may arise in doing so. And selling $600 PS3 systems you're bound to run into some.

I put on my best CSR hat, spoke sweetly & calmly while teaching junior the ropes. He cancelled the disputes, I refunded minus a difference of his choosing and life goes on.....oy oy oy!!

Yes FTL, sadly eBay doesn't listen. I spent time on the phone with an eBay CSR today and one of the most interesting things he said to me about this case was thank you for being brave enough to file a UPI that was not a mutual. 😮 What the hell does THAT tell you?!?!

eBay Live is gonna be fu-un this year. Yikes!! I wonder if the security guards will have any necks or not? LOL
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
????

Obviously I missed something. ?:|
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Posted on the wrong thread...even the wrong board. LOL

Monique

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
LOL :^O
Message 9 of 9
latest reply