Canada Customs Refused Buyer's Item Being Returned

I shipped a Tiara to England and Buyer was upset at being charged duties. Proceeded with claim saying "Item not as Described" and wanted full refund plus duty and cost for return. PayPal ruled that she should return item at her expense and provide them with tracking number.
On July 1st, I received email from PayPal that item has been delivered and Buyer was awarded claim. I did not receive item. Upon checking tracking number , I found that item has been delivered to England! I wrote to eBay to appeal and each time I received email that Buyer has provided valid tracking information, item has been delivered, Purchaser's account has been credited and as a result an appeal cannot be granted.

I called PayPal. They were aware that item has been delivered in England. Turns out that Canada Customs has returned it to Buyer. PayPal said it is my responsibility to find out from Canada Post why it was returned before they could do anything. I then received another email saying that my appeal cannot be granted.

I talked with Canada Post and was told item was returned because it was "none confirming", which could mean anything: e.g.: prohibited item, objectionable packaging or container, item not matching description on declaration, etc. Canada Post also advised that it was the Shipper's responsibility to enquire and that they could not give me any more information. I got the same response from Canada Customs.

I called PayPal again and was told that an appeal has been entered today and that I was sent an email. No such email has been received and Resolution Center doesn't show it either.

Has anyone else ever experienced this situation? If so, what was the outcome? I am out over $300 including shipping.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Never heard of it myself, but I'd be filing a Small Claims suit against Paypal Canada if they tried that with me.

I don't know if I could win it, mind you, but that's ridiculous. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Just had a thought-

The buyer hasn't returned the item to you with a tracking number - they're trying to use your tracking number, and all that's done is show that you have delivered it to your customer.

If the buyer shipped the item back, their number has not shown that it's been delivered - it shows that it's been returned.

There's just no way that Paypal can make this conform to the required procedure.

Have you spoken with a supervisor at Paypal? Sometimes the grunts on the front lines aren't too bright. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yes, actually, I was thinking the same. How can post office claim "delivered" when it was in fact "returned to sender" ?

Never heard of it myself, but I'd be filing a Small Claims suit against Paypal Canada if they tried that with me.

This would have been impractical as PayPal is a private company and can easily blacklist a user. More practical would be to sue CanadaPost, they cannot refuse to provide service to anyone even if you sued them every month.

As I already said here on these boards. If you are not getting anywhere, stop calling and fax. Call is easy to dismiss, but paper complaint is a hot potato and may end up on the right desk.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Taking action against a user because they sued you is in itself a cause for action and in some cases could be construed as contempt of Court.

I don't see where you could sue Canada Post in this instance - if anything, it would be the Royal Post that messed this one up. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I'm no help to you but just reading that pisses me off.
Though I still don't know why the buyer would file a 'complaint' and send it back.. they are still out the cost of duties aren't they?
Or did they just not accept the package?
and if that was the case, wouldn't CP have to return it to you?
If the tracking number from them to you matches the one from you to them, then I would say that you should follow 'dipmicro's train of thought and either send a certified letter or a fax to Paypal with all copies of all the documents. Send it to the president of paypal - Scott Thompson - details here. [url http://pages.ebay.ca/aboutebay/thecompany/executiveteam.html]link[/url]
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I must have not explained it right.

Purchaser claimed item not as described, filed claim with PayPal ,was instructed to return item to me and to provide PayPal with tracking number.
It arrived in Canada but Canada Customs did not allow its entry and sent it back to purchaser in England. REason: "non-confirming" which could mean 1) item not allowed in Canada 2) objectionable container 3)improper packaging 4) item description on Custom's form not matching contents.

PayPal knows that it was returned to England to purchaser and not received by me, they know it was Canada Customs that refused its entry into Canada but PayPal says that Purchaser has provided a valid tracking number and therefore I am not entitled to an appeal.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

selltoronto_com: Thank You for the advice. I will do just that.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

but PayPal says that Purchaser has provided a valid tracking number and therefore I am not entitled to an appeal.

Isn't the whole point of having a tracking number to provide "proof that the item has been received"? Simply providing a tracking number showing that "it has been sent" is of absolutely no consequence if the package did not arrive at its destination.

If a buyer does not receive their package even though we provide tracking we are still obligated to see that they get it. They same should apply for the buyer in returning the package to the sender.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes, that is the purpose of the tracking number. After three denials for an appeal, PayPal finally found in my favor and promised to return my funds in 5- 7 days. Over three weeks has gone by and it hasn't happened.

I checked the details of the case and it says:
"Please contact the buyer to have the refund issued from your account returned to you."
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Makes you understand why people go an rampages, doesn't it.

I would call Paypal again and remind them that they have granted the appeal and tell them to get their thumbs out of their rear on this or you'll be filing a small claims action.

Since you have the decision that the appeal is granted (make sure you keep that communication safe, take a screen-shot if you have to), a small claims action would be open and shut. -------------------------------------------------------------------

It is our similarities that make us all human - it is our differences that make us all interesting

Message 11 of 11
latest reply