Counterfeit goods, so what?

Hello,

As botha seller and a buyer, I have had my experience with counterfeit goods here on Ebay. I have been fooled once with a USB flash drive which was too good to be true, and it turned out to be just that. I didn't have much help with Ebay getting my money back and had to settle for the seller giving me a partial refund - lesson learned.

I have been looking for a pair of Rayban sunglasses lately and cannot help but notice that probably half the sales are shameless fakes. Nobody can sell a pair of Rayban Wayfarers for 30 or 40 bucks, so why doesn't Ebay shut this stuff down? You may say that the sellers need to be reported in order for Ebay to act? Well, I have also noticed these seller feedbacks specifically claiming the buyers was sold counterfeit glasses,and yet people seem to ignore this tool for safe shopping. But the question stands - why does Ebay do next to nothing about this? Is the fee money so great from these counterfeiters that they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them? I don't get it.

I don't believe that Ebay can't realistically go after every scammer because of the sheer number of them - if the same amount of people decided not to pay their Ebay fees, you know damn well Ebay would become extremely vigilant and methodic about collecting their money owed. I guess it's about priorities.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Hi PJ - I just googled Coach outlets in Vancouver and there are none.....just in the States - maybe in T.O,, I don't know....but just in case, I don't know how I look up your store.  Are you allowed to post it? ?:|

There is a coach outlet store just 10 miles down the road from me at the Cookstown Outlet Mall.

About 45 min. north of Toronto.

I also believe there is on in Niagara Falls but not sure.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

There is one in Calgary too. I had posted the link that showed the outlets in Canada but it disappeared this morning.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

I have reported numerous counterfeit items to eBay, both by going through their online "Report an Item" system & by calling them directly - each & every time eBay did absolutely nothing about the fraudulent item.

Month's later I even went back to check on the eBay sellers in question who had listed the fake items &, no surprise, their account was still active.

The moral of the story, if you want to sell fake items, eBay is the place to sell it.

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

You could try reporting the Counterfeit Items to the VeRO Program.

They take counterfeit items very seriously

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

pun_ca8
Community Member

I also came across the same situation, I recently purchased A SAMSUNG SD 64GB MEMORY CARD from EBay seller , this seller was from China.  When I received the product that I found out it’s counterfeit.  As I knew the original products should be made in Korea not from China or Taiwan and also the quality of those fake products were very poor as the one I received from the EBay seller!

I was reporting this case to EBay Canada. But the customer service / escalation department didn’t really care and take actions on this issue.  Honestly, that makes me feel shopping from EBay is very unreliable coz too much SCAMS on EBay.  

Message 45 of 46
latest reply

Posting to a zombie thread is not particularly useful.

Athough it was a very interesting thread.

For your problem, well, there's not a lot you can reasonably do.

Reporting to eBay is not the first step.

The first step would be to get your money back.

However, that would require returning the item to the seller, which is very expensive for overseas shipping. ($40 or more since you would need Confirmation of Delivery.)

So the real first step would be to remember that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

However with the newish Buyer Protection program, when an item is Not As Described, the seller can be required to pay for the return shipping.

I would suggest you forget trying to talk to a human being, go to the bots of the Resolution Centre and file an Item Not As Described dispute.

Losing the item and the payment is a good start in disciplining these fraudsters.

Message 46 of 46
latest reply