Discussion: eBay Payment Mediation

Hi all,

Hopefully, you've seen Wednesday's announcement about eBay's plans to intermediate payments in the near future.

In plain language, this means that instead of PayPal processing all payments as they currently do (even if you don't choose PayPal as your payment option), we'll be transitioning over the next few years to a centralized system. You don't need to do anything right now, and PayPal will continue to be an option for sending and accepting payments.

I'll move any related posts/threads here so that we can condense the discussion. I'll probably be signing off for the night shortly, but I'll be back tomorrow morning to answer any questions you may have!

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@mandicraftswrote:

2) Will there be Cdn GST/HST taxes on the fees ebay will charge for processing? (since we are charged tax on all other fees - I am already paying an extra $100+ a month due to this - Services are taxable in Canada)

It will depend how the fees are classified.  Financial services do not have GST/HST charged. For those sellers who are GST registered it will make no difference even if the fees are taxed (Input Tax Credit).

Message 61 of 71
latest reply

"1) Can we hold dual currencies? (Since I sell on .ca and .com)
If it is a European company, they are already dealing with at least three currencies (euro, pound, kroner).
So there's that.".....

I should have phrased it differently. Can we hold and ACCESS dual currencies. Like on pay pal now. I have a CAD balance and a USD balance. On the future ebay payment platform, I don't want my USD funds converted to CAD for a total CAD balance. I want to use those USD funds to purchase on ebay, or off site to buy where I source.
Losing 3 times on exchange is not acceptable if said funds were originally in the currency I want to use.
Message 62 of 71
latest reply

@mandicraftswrote:
I should have phrased it differently. Can we hold and ACCESS dual currencies. Like on pay pal now. I have a CAD balance and a USD balance. On the future ebay payment platform, I don't want my USD funds converted to CAD for a total CAD balance. I want to use those USD funds to purchase on ebay, or off site to buy where I source.
Losing 3 times on exchange is not acceptable if said funds were originally in the currency I want to use.

You are only losing twice on exchange.

I suspect it will depend on whether eBay allows PayPal as a deposit location.

The A-river, for example, will make US$ deposits only if you have a USA bank account (otherwise they convert into CA$ for your Canadian bank account). The A-river pays fees and shipping bought through them from your balance with the rest going to your bank account(s).  No buying  of anything else.

Message 63 of 71
latest reply

I returned an incorrect item to the seller. The seller claims that he never received the return. I could drive to the seller in 30 minutes. On appeal E-Bay found me to refunded my monies

as per attachment. Now out of the blue PayPal got involved and denied my big 22 dollar claim.

See attachment as I am very confused.

Message 64 of 71
latest reply

@li_leslie

@happy_pigeon

This post should probably be under Buyers since it deals with a failed transaction.

Message 65 of 71
latest reply

@bregster14 wrote:

I returned an incorrect item to the seller. The seller claims that he never received the return. I could drive to the seller in 30 minutes. On appeal E-Bay found me to refunded my monies

as per attachment. Now out of the blue PayPal got involved and denied my big 22 dollar claim.

See attachment as I am very confused.

Hi @bregster14,

As femmefan1946 suggested, you'll get much better results if you repost this in a buyer-facing board, such as Buyer Central. The people there will be very happy to help you out. Thank you!

Message 66 of 71
latest reply

I will ty
Message 67 of 71
latest reply

ebay needs to send out a notice to all china sellers and all other country sellers that the Canada postal strike is now over and ended. I am having a real problem each time I try to buy from sellers in China because they don't know that the postal strike is ended. I have to convince them the Canada post strike is over. Can ebay please send out a message to all international sellers to resume shipping to Canada?

Notice of end of postal strike:

https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/tools-resources/canada-post-strike

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/11/26/canada-post-strike-end-back-to-work_a_23601685/

Message 68 of 71
latest reply

eBay isn’t responsible for that action. It’s up to Canada Post to tell the other postal offices of the world it’s all-clear and I’m not sure they’ve done that yet. Once it’s done, eBay can then remind those sellers it’s okay to ship but right now it’s between partners of the Universal Postal Union as per their agreements and not eBay sellers and buyers.
Message 69 of 71
latest reply

Because the ‘strike’ might be over but th backlog is still considered unprecedented. Foreign mailings are not to be expected to be delivered until March of 2019.
Message 70 of 71
latest reply

And that’s only the ones that backed up while international mail was still being accepted.

Try buying from China and shipping to a freight forwarder in the USA.
Message 71 of 71
latest reply