Do American sellers consider Canada a international country?

Hello again!  I have a couple of questions.  In my time spent on eBay I have made many purchases from American sellers.  In checking out all the different listings out there it doesn't appear clear as to whether we as Canadians are considered a international buyer.  Some sellers mention no international buyers that include Canada and other listings  state will only ship to the U.S. or Canada but no international shipping.  Also, I had recently posted a question here about a seller who had listed  a fancy bridle and kept pulling the listing in the middle of bidding.  They did it four times before it seems to have gone permanently.  Well, yesterday another seller has done this.  I found a seller who had a bunch of miscellaneous tack, straps etc., up for bid a couple of days ago.  They were a seller from the States and so I messaged them to see if they would be ok with me bidding.  They were fine with that and even messaged me back a second time to wish me luck.  I was the highest bidder until I checked the listing yesterday morning and it has disappeared completely off of eBay.  I did receive a message from eBay stating the seller has removed the listing.  As a bidder it is frustrating.  A person is bidding in good faith and when a listing is ended for no apparent reason you can't help but wonder if they just were not getting the amount of money in the bidding that they wanted or someone offered them an amount they couldn't refuse.  I have messaged the seller and have not heard back which leaves me to believe that the item is gone and it's time to move on.  It just is a little frustrating.   Also,  just one more thing,  I promise!  Why do I keep getting reminders from eBay to leave kudos"  to the answers I receive here on this forum when I always do.  Even when the answers don't always help?  At first I would go back and make sure I have given credit where credit is do but now I just ignore them when I am sure I have already done so.  I hope its ok to ask so many questions at once!  Thank you for any info that can be provided.  Have a great day everyone!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a seller who had listed  a fancy bridle and kept pulling the listing in the middle of bidding

I honestly think that sellers (and buyers) of horse tack must be among the worst eBayers for bad behaviour.

it doesn't appear clear as to whether we as Canadians are considered a international buyer.

Some realize that Canada and Mexico work from different rate cards than overseas destinations. Some don't. Remember this is a country where a fairly high percentage of the population thinks Hawai'i is a village in Kenya.

If you see a listing that uses international instead of Canadian rates, contact the seller BEFORE BIDDING and ask if they realize they can ship here for much less by using First Class International Parcel, which is Delivery Confirmed. The response will guide you as to how your would be treated if you became a customer.

Even when the answers don't always help?

Don't leave kudos when the answers are not helpful. It's a choice not a duty.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

a seller who had listed  a fancy bridle and kept pulling the listing in the middle of bidding

I honestly think that sellers (and buyers) of horse tack must be among the worst eBayers for bad behaviour.

it doesn't appear clear as to whether we as Canadians are considered a international buyer.

Some realize that Canada and Mexico work from different rate cards than overseas destinations. Some don't. Remember this is a country where a fairly high percentage of the population thinks Hawai'i is a village in Kenya.

If you see a listing that uses international instead of Canadian rates, contact the seller BEFORE BIDDING and ask if they realize they can ship here for much less by using First Class International Parcel, which is Delivery Confirmed. The response will guide you as to how your would be treated if you became a customer.

Even when the answers don't always help?

Don't leave kudos when the answers are not helpful. It's a choice not a duty.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I really appreciate that you answered my questions but to say that sellers (and buyers) such as myself are the worst eBayers for bad behaviour is a little insulting. Ever since I starting buying on eBay I have always made sure to conduct myself professionally and with respect to fellow ebayers. In a way I consider all of us a ambassadors for the country we are from. Sounds a little silly but the way we deal with each other on eBay reflects well on the country we are from. If a buyer or seller is behaving badly or breaking the rules then it reflects badly on everyone else. I will admit that the problems I am having on eBay lately have been from sellers selling horse tack but that doesn't mean we are all behaving badly!!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It's not you specifically. It's the category. Considering how small it is, compared to say, books or tablet computers or purses, there are an awful lot of complaints of really really bad behaviour.

I watch the category off and on (I don't ride, but my SIL is a competitive barrel racer) and am shocked by the vitriol. The other category that amazes me with the sheer number of complaints about fraudulent activity is Dolls. Not the ones for kiddies, the ones collected by what I always imagined to be lonely maiden ladies. Nope. Accusations of fraud and theft abound.

So be careful who you are dealing with. Not all of the sellers (or buyers) you work with are as honourable as you. And they will bully and take advantage.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Funny, I am buying lots of stuff from England and the rest of Europe and so far overtime I get stuff from the States postage it's way, way overcharged. I wish EBAY WILL PUT AN END ON THIS RIDICULOUS SCAM FROM SOME OF THESE SELLERS.....

Message 5 of 5
latest reply