For some of us there's no sense using eBay any more...

I just sold 3 - 12 volt flourescent lamps for RV, boat etc and the costs for selling on eBay are now so out of touch it's no longer worth the bother.

I managed to get $20.50 for the lamps and then $20 for shipping for a total of $40.50.

eBay then takes $3.55 for both item and shipping and then Paypal takes $1.47. Shipping actually cost me $23.98 when posted not $20.

So in the end I get $11.50. Woopy ding... 

I might as well have thrown them in the recycle bin. 

I know this will seem like small potatoes to you big sellers but for me it's not worth my time any more. Couple this with some things I do buy here that turn out to be complete junk and I wonder why bother with eBay at all??

Yes I know: so go away and quit using it we don't care.... thanks in advance for sharing. This appear to be the attitude everywhere.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

You obviously don't understand because you weren't here since the beginning. When we were making a killing. Everyone was making out like bandits. EBay included. Then they became "corporate". All went downhill from there. Some will disagree and even tell you that their fees went down. That's total horse s&$$!?(. So now people come here and vent and look for advise or help...
Message 41 of 64
latest reply

Actually:  You are wrong about that.  I was here from the start.

Moreover, I was buying and selling on line prior to eBay and even had my own site.

I started the day Internet access came to my town.

I specialized in only one item.

It didn't take me long to realize the power that gave me.  

Mine was a very competitive field and I could make or break someone at the touch of a button.

Blew me away.

All of that was so new to the world at the time.  The POWER!!!!

You made out like bandits here because collectors went crazy on eBay.

Now it's more sophisticated but some things haven't changed.

Not sure what you're trying to say because how long one has or has not being on line changes nothing.

Message 42 of 64
latest reply

"Not sure what you're trying to say because how long one has or has not being on line changes nothing."

Actually, it changes everything if you've been around as long as you supposedely say. You don't seem to get the gist of thing, do you?
Btw, proper English would changes anything! Just saying.

Are you one of those guys who hide behind another name for some stupid reason or you're just someone who really only started on eBay in 2009?
Message 43 of 64
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:

Btw, proper English would changes anything! Just saying.

What does "proper English would changes anything! mean?

Are you pointing out that my English is too proper?  or you pointing out that there are typos in my posts?

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I just told you I've been here from the start.  I can only post with one id at a time.

Message 44 of 64
latest reply

I see you don't answer the main point of the post. Some people are really thick.
Message 45 of 64
latest reply

Instead of throwing insults which make no sense, get a grip and ask me question I can actually answer.

What is your question?  What, then, is the point you were trying to express?

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

You never attempted an insult? Try rereading the posts. Read slowly. Have someone help you with the big words, if need be. I'm not wasting my time with you anymore!
Message 47 of 64
latest reply

Actually, no, I didn't.

But in any case that's  what I thought.

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

My friend, lets don't go there.

I understand your frustrations & everyone has a need to vent, we all do, but asking questions in finding a way to make it work for you will garner you a lot more friends on the boards.

The question is Are you receptive to receiving some advice ?

If so, ask away, many will help point you in the right direction.

Do I agree with all the parameters eBay has sent forth, NO, however I choose to take a positive outlook from a negative one.

Bottom Line, eBay gives us the ability to sell 24/7/365.

Its up to us to find a way to make it work, much like if we choose to rent a B & M Store.

We all knew since January that the coming year was going to be a grind.

I'm frustrated also, but I'm still trying to find a way to make it work, much like most of us on the boards.

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

Hey BB,

I know what you're saying. But when people post just for the sake of posting or to hear themselves talk, it's a waste of time and space. To answer your question about being receptive to advice. I wasn't really looking for any if you read this thread. I was just giving some input. As for the remainder of your post, I totally agree.

P.s. Thanks for intervening.
Message 50 of 64
latest reply

No sweat RHC, you're always friendly on the boards.

I could just tell you were frustrated the last couple of days, a lot of us are feeling the same way.

Do what I do, order in a cajun pizza, download the Van Halen Concert from 95 & revise some listings.

Works for me. Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Great advise. I saw the Fair Warning and 1984 shows. So the '95 show might not be my thing. But still, good advice!!!
Message 52 of 64
latest reply

i'm a noob but isn't it better to include shipping in the price? that's what I've done from what I've sold but that's because i ship from my postal office and get receipt because it's alot cheaper for selling games than buying shipping label through eBay and i think when you make people pay for shipping that goes toward the online shipping label which you buy through them? I may be wrong but that  is why I have not tried adding shipping fee to my items.Im not trying to steal this guyes topic but can someone give me some clarification on shipping :D..

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

I've adapted my eBay business over the past 16 years - as changes come, I change with them. My income via eBay is now what i consider a very passive income. I utilize the monthy free listings - hope to get 'invited' to the free listing days, although I have not been on the guest list for the past 2 after having received nearly 100% of all the ones previous to those. I offer free shipping to avoid the pitfalls that lurk there. My stock is able to be contained in a relatively small area in my small den/office. Listings are pre-written and stored in my listing program - ready to go at a moment's notice whenever the freebies come along. Stock that does not move or does not seem to be work keeping around - I trek off to my fav auction house and make some $ selling it there. And I acknowledge that business patterns will ebb and flow - I either roll with it or give it up entirely.
Photobucket

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

For those who don't sell new items like iPhones etc., the main thing that has changed over the years is the types of times which collectors will buy.  

Over the years collectors grew more sophisticated and demanding after eBay appeared.

Condition is now of utmost importance.

Rare doesn't mean today what it meant 20 years ago because all but the rarest of pieces are now accessible to anyone who is willing to pay for them.

Sellers who adapted to the changes in collector demands were doing just fine, 

IMO that was moving along a predicted trajectory and it was possible to roll with the changes until a few months ago and then something seems to have suddenly snapped.

I'm not sure what happened but I don't believe it was the eBay glitch.

Things have  to fall back into line at some point as all these buyers didn't suddenly fall off the planet.

Do they?

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

For those who don't sell new items like iPhones etc., the main thing that has changed over the years is the types of times which collectors will buy.  

Over the years collectors grew more sophisticated and demanding after eBay appeared.

Condition is now of utmost importance.

Rare doesn't mean today what it meant 20 years ago because all but the rarest of pieces are now accessible to anyone who is willing to pay for them.

Sellers who adapted to the changes in collector demands were doing just fine, 

IMO that was moving along a predicted trajectory and it was possible to roll with the changes until a few months ago and then something seems to have suddenly snapped.

I'm not sure what happened but I don't believe it was the eBay glitch.

Things have  to fall back into line at some point as all these buyers didn't suddenly fall off the planet.

Do they?

Exactly!

I was seeing steady growth in my sales as I learned the system and researched and learned the optimum format for listings etc.

Then, as you say, something snapped. Business tanked, fueled by who knows what but certainly a lot of the new and ludicrous Ebay policies certainly aren't helping.

I had the most ridiculous conversation with a "supposed" Ebay customer service supervisor last evening. I have been tracking a problem with keyword guided search results being completely off and also exposing just how badly Ebay IS NOT handling sellers who are purposely miscategorizing listings and seeding keywords for search and browse manipulation. This phone call was the culmination of a month of effort and hours spent on the phone, mostly on hold and being bounced from dept to dept. Finally I get a call telling me that "Nothing is wrong with the search engine results and Ebay effectively removes violating listing" BRAVO SIERRA!

The supervisor told me that there are many "factors" that effect search result placement and the results are based on "Best Match" blah blah bla. It was obvious she was reading fron an Ebay website page and it was quickly becoming apparent to me that this so-called supervisor had NO CLUE what she was talking about so I asked what are some specific factors that I could pursue to improve my listings and their placement in search results? PAUSE...Then she starts reading generic garbage from another Ebay webpage that was not an answer at all to my question. I got fed up and basically said that if you can't/won't answer my questions this cal is over. I then hung up.

The point of this story is that along with all of the negative changes going on that effect sellers in an adverse fashion if you think you are going to effect any positive change through trying to work with Ebay and their representatives, FORGET IT. Most of them, if not sub 100 IQ are so poorly trained that they don't even know how their own systems work. I wasted a month of effort this most recent time and it was all banging my head against the wall.

Ebay has gone wrong, terribly wrong. Will any of us still be here in a year, 2 or will Ebay just be a mirror of Ali Baba flogging cheap Asian **bleep**!

thd

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

But it's not just eBay and I don't believe it has anything to do with eBay policy.

While a PITA really nothing more than that and that's hardly new.

Other sites catering to collectors have tanked as well.

Ruby Lane has changed dramatically as eBay sellers move there but those sales came to a dead stop as well.

My friends on Etsy are also desperate to understand why sales stopped.

It has to bounce back and I'm hoping it does so with vengeance but it sure is dragging on and on and on........

I checked that Alibaba site or whatever it is and there's nothing there for collectors so that's not an issue either.

Really **bleep**py site!

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

Just weird how it happened Gang.

Year was going along just fine & then BAM, hit a wall since the beginning of July.

Just curious, What month did everyone Hit the Wall ?

I put it down to my items, so will keep revising & adjusting my listings.

I think we will drive ourselves Nutty trying to figure out what happened in regards to sales, but I know 20% of my Friendly Competitors are still making good money.

I watch their Listings & Sales Daily, as I'm sure they do with mine & try & follow their lead.

I also noticed yesterday, the largest jersey retailer in the world now has a presence on eBay.

No Big Deal, but I know to stay away from Mainstream Jerseys released the last couple of years.

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

One of the largest sellers of broken/returned electronics in the US has quit ebay and opened their own site. I buy from them. I buy less from ebay.

I wonder if eBay has noticed that this is a problem for them. They cultivate large organizations who want to experiment with online selling, then if the experiment is successful, the organization opens their own site, with the carefully harvested email addresses from eBay sales, and leave eBay behind.

I believe at one time Goodwill was selling on eBay, and also WalMart. Do either of those still use this venue?

Still, some salesman got a nice bonus for bringing in the BigStore account and that kind of short term quarterly report thinking is the norm in business.

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

i ship from my postal office and get receipt because it's alot cheaper for selling games than buying shipping label through eBay

You are wrong on that.

Are you weighing and measuring your packages at home, before listing?

Are you listing with metric measurements?

With a Venture One card, you can get about a 5% discount at the PO counter (except on LetterPost/LightPacket service).

With Paypal shipping you can get up to an 18% discount from PO counter prices (again not on LP service).

The PP shipping label has two parts and you can keep one part as your receipt. Of course you also have your PP account to keep records.

By the way, if you are using LP services, you can buy mint postage on eBay at a discount from PO counter prices.

Message 60 of 64
latest reply