For some of us there's no sense using eBay any more...

I just sold 3 - 12 volt flourescent lamps for RV, boat etc and the costs for selling on eBay are now so out of touch it's no longer worth the bother.

I managed to get $20.50 for the lamps and then $20 for shipping for a total of $40.50.

eBay then takes $3.55 for both item and shipping and then Paypal takes $1.47. Shipping actually cost me $23.98 when posted not $20.

So in the end I get $11.50. Woopy ding... 

I might as well have thrown them in the recycle bin. 

I know this will seem like small potatoes to you big sellers but for me it's not worth my time any more. Couple this with some things I do buy here that turn out to be complete junk and I wonder why bother with eBay at all??

Yes I know: so go away and quit using it we don't care.... thanks in advance for sharing. This appear to be the attitude everywhere.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: For some of us there's no sense using eBay any more...

Not sure why the posts turned to eBay policy etc.

The bottom line is that you were selling big heavy used items that don't lend themselves well to on-line selling.

Not interesting USED items:  Just used and not worth much which is exactly what you got ........ and yes, just the kind of thing most people throw in the dumpster or put on the curb for someone to pick up for free.

On top of everything else they surely must be time consuming and require a lot of packaging to pack up this breakable item.  Could that possibly be worth the headache for even the $20.50 before fees etc.?

Not in my universe.

Policy and fees have nothing to do with the problems you're having.

Pick something easy to ship like stamps and most of your problems won't be nearly so big.

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

Now we're going to tell people what to sell. Great. Everybody sell stamps!!! Problem solved. eBay has been fixed.
Message 22 of 64
latest reply

If that's your take away from my post then you need to expand your mind.  (A Lot.)

One type of item:  Large heavy difficult to pack breakable items with high shipping costs.  (Such as the heavy lights sold by the person who posted but not limited to big heavy lights.)

Another type of item:  Small easy to pack items with low shipping costs.  (Such as stamps, but not limited to stamps.)

Those are two extremes and IMO the person who posted is at one end of the spectrum.  (The wrong end.)

No one is telling anyone what to sell or fixing eBay and it's not even about eBay.

Just common sense when selling on line in general.

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

Maybe you should explore this site a little. Look at the size of some of the items that get shipped. If item size is your only concern, then my mind isn't the one one that needs expanding.

I like the feeble attempt at insulting me with the parentheses. Nice touch.
Message 24 of 64
latest reply

I used to sell sheet music

However....  today it is just not my cup of tea... No great return on input 

I do have a stamp collection....  However,  that  too is not my cup of tea...  Not my stamp of approval

I do have some tea... but I would rather drink coffee... Tim's  

I have a storage locker full of Lego.... That will have to wait..... Lego gets more valuable with each passing day, month  year..

Sold much of my old inventory  at a local auction sale... Did very well because  it was collected over 5 and more years ago..  and the right group of collectors were at the sale

There is a place for everything.... and some things are not worthwhile selling on the internet.... for me the not worthwhile  is just about anything that would be priced at less than $15 on eBay.

People make choices...    I have made many choices over the years....   Some things just do not fit into a mail order business.

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

You think his $20 shipping was a large heavy item. Here's one that took me all of 20 seconds to find: 231256590589

Look it up. $25000 shipping. I'm sure there are tons more. So your point was?
Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Selling a large heavy breakable used low value ($20 for example) items  that are difficult to pack and ship is a gruelling way to make money and the reason the person who posted is unhappy about that has nothing to do with eBay policy.

You posted that you're take away from what I said is that everyone should sell stamps.  

You were either trying to insult me or you need to expand your mind.

Only you know which one is true.

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

Firstly, the item in question is the light fixtures. I not sure that the neons where actually shipped, as well. So not necessarily breakable and at $20 shipping not that heavy. Secondly, it has everything to do with eBay policy. It's their policy regarding their fees! The OP is complaining about eBay making off, big time. And he/she is doing most, if not all of the work.

And you were trying to tell the OP to sell something different, like stamps! The item being sold is not the issue. Do you think ebay will take less fees for stamps or items that weigh less?
Message 28 of 64
latest reply

If someone repeats in yet another mixed up phrase the 'some things shouldn't be sold on ebay' or 'some people should not sell on ebay' I will freak out. 

My point throughout this whole thing and always has been that ebay continually spouts off that ANYONE can sell ANYTHING. Just go into your closet and grab your 'stuff' and in 3 easy steps have cash coming in. 

They gloss over their fees and their policies. On one hand they say they are helping the seller and on the other they use their hidden implementation of policy to hammer away.

They say that feedback is a 'helpful way' to provide constructive criticism to a seller, but then limit, suspend and boot out a seller for very simple issues. 

These mixed messages constantly show themselves by frustrated sellers giving up.

Of course, some people are successful, of course some people have certain products that sell better, BUT this is NOT what Ebay is saying.

So when someone gets on here and complains, don't dump on the person, be constructive. 

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

Well you are fighting a loosing battle on these forums, IMHO. You echo my very first posts here. I got hit from all sides from most of the regulars. They all seem to have "eh, Spike, eh, Spike" syndrome.

They are nothing more than bullies that have bought into the mighty eBa's way of thinking (dare I say "brainwashed"). They hit you with all of the bs. "We're paying less now than 15 years ago". "Mail order is not for everybody". That's the cost of doing business" if your not happy, go somewhere else" I've seen 'em all. i truly believe that a lot of people here think that they are trying to help people but deep down they are just plain bragging about their past eBay experience. oh look at me. Look what I did. Honestly, I don't know why I keep coming back.
Message 30 of 64
latest reply

Ten years ago  eBay was an easy go for me.

Today... I am not sure how long it will last for.

The sky can fall any day... and it be good-bye.

That is the eBay of today.

We adjust... we make it happen and keep going day-after-day-after-day.

How else can we do it...  The buyers are HERE

and as OP stated....

For some of us there's no sense using eBay any more...

So true.

Choose your inventory sell it and if it works... IT works

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
Well you are fighting a loosing battle on these forums, IMHO. You echo my very first posts here. I got hit from all sides from most of the regulars. They all seem to have "eh, Spike, eh, Spike" syndrome.

They are nothing more than bullies that have bought into the mighty eBa's way of thinking (dare I say "brainwashed"). They hit you with all of the bs. "We're paying less now than 15 years ago". "Mail order is not for everybody". That's the cost of doing business" if your not happy, go somewhere else" I've seen 'em all. i truly believe that a lot of people here think that they are trying to help people but deep down they are just plain bragging about their past eBay experience. oh look at me. Look what I did. Honestly, I don't know why I keep coming back.

I wouldn't quite say bullies, but the rest I agree 100%. I think most cannot put themselves in other peoples shoes. I just wanted to provide a little support and some of what I though the reasons for it, and then I get blindsided by probably the worst offender of them all. 

Anyways, I had my fill of posting for a while. There is someone wrong on the internet that I have to deal with.

Good luck. 

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

I'm not sure how long you've been on this this discussion board. But I have no problem calling some of them bullies.

I commend you for wanting to help another seller out. That's the point here!

I'm pretty sure I know of who you speak. I've had plenty of run ins, myself.

Good luck to you, as well.
Message 33 of 64
latest reply

Difficult today with 250,000,000 listings worldwide.

I can recall when there were 9,000,000 listings & we thought that was too many.

Not too sure in this case, don't remember the numbers off hand. But I know that people often forget that the huge numbers of store listings never used to be included in the number of listings totals back in the day.

Then they added the store listings into the core somewhere along the way and it made it look like the new eBay policies were wildly successful.

Message 34 of 64
latest reply

So, what else is there to do? 

Accept what is, as difficult as that may be now, and make it work as long as possible for our own purposes (while perhaps also keeping a little insurance in our pockets by staying active on another site)?  Probably the best answer for most -- for a while at least. 

Leave?  Certainly, if it makes no financial sense to stay.  Why throw good money after bad by paying eBay to help you lose money?

Complain?  Yes, that might help us feel better, and if enough sellers complain about the same things, it's possible eBay might make some concessions (as, in fairness, I have to say they've done in a few instances). 

Start another site, geared toward small sellers, similar to what eBay once was?  Good luck with that one.

Seller rebellion or "strike"?  That would be the very definition of a lost cause (see above).

Futile, yeah, and all this stuff has been tried and failed anyway. And tons of complaints have resulted in some minute adjustments along the way, yeah maybe. Although, usually even when they say something is for "seller protection" you can look into it and realize that in some way it still optimizes the site for corporate sellers vs smaller sellers.

People would probably have a way more luck changing something like the Canadian Federation of Independent Business http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/about-us/canada/178-about-us.html with an eye towards leveraging them to actually take on lobbying that would benefit small business instead of the Conservative "tax reduction" and "anti-labour" kow-towing that they mostly busy themselves with.

This organization claims to have 109,000 small and medium sized business members and lobby for their interests. But really from what I can see, most of their policies are super friendly to BIG business ~ which means they are small business's worst enemy, as many people seriously selling on eBay can perhaps understand.

We have never been members but these guys came to my attention during the recent temporary foreign workers foofurah. Again, they're in there lobbying like crazy in favour of bringing in more foreign workers. Which, to me, is just another way of keeping wages low, making sure there are fewer people who can actually afford to buy what we sell, and greasing the wheels for big biz at the same time, so they can put more small folks out of business.

But the CFIB is infinitely more responsive than eBay. You can easily have a respectful conversation with their senior execs on twitter or probably facebook. So that's what got me thinking along these lines. Knowing the dynamics of organizations, 109,000 members probably means about 9 members doing most of the work and setting the agenda. And these folks have access to various government ministers, etc.

With the experience of seeing the demise of eBay for independent sellers we have seen how big business is far more of a threat to independent sellers than either taxes or labour costs, which is 95-99% of what CFIB worries about.

So, just an alternative answer to the question "What to do?"  If someone felt they had the energy and wherewithall to apply themselves to an independent business cause where you could actually have some influence, you might want to look around, see if you have a local chapter or whatever.

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

The CFIB might be useful if we were dealing with a Canadian corporation, but how do you see it having any influence with U.S.-based eBay?  They'd be under no obligation to even listen to a delegation, assuming one could get that far. 

The sad truth I see for hundreds of thousands -- probably even millions -- of small eBay sellers is that their heyday on this site is over, and only a fraction will continue to make decent profits by selling here.  We have to realize we are not eBay's focus anymore.  Each seller has to do whatever is necessary to continue to hang on, follow policies and make money while that is still possible.  As they say en français:  Sauve qui peut! (Translated loosely, it's every man [woman] for him/herself).  Do not expect eBay to give you any special help as a small, independent seller.  We're swimming with the big fish in a very crowded pond now.

I've been thinking further about the OP's original problem, and I see it as a reflection of eBay's ruse of convincing people they can empty their closets and easily make money.  The OP is unfortunately a victim of that misinformation -- or maybe it's more akin to deliberate trickery. 

The truth is, as we who have been here for several years know, and who have had to adapt to one policy after another designed to favour big volume commercial sellers, that selling on a small scale on eBay is harder than ever.  It was never simple, but now it's a field of landmines.  And Canada Post's increasing rates haven't made life any easier.  

That being said, there are things the OP could do if he's inclined to try to make a go of it here.  First, people who want to keep selling have to have enough to sell, frequently enough, to cover the occasional inevitable losses or absorb an occasional defect.  It's the law of numbers now on eBay.  Gone are the days when you could just put up 2 or 3 listings a month (of virtually anything) and actually sell that stuff!

This means that anybody who wants to make decent money on the new eBay, has to source things to sell on a regular basis and approach it as a serious business (i.e. invest your time and money). 

The bottom line is that, despite their deceptive blandishments to the contrary, eBay isn't the place for "Sunday sellers" anymore.  If you really do need the income, find a way to procure items on a regular basis at low cost that have a chance of being sold, preferably in categories that aren't swamped with competitors. 

Secondly, as was mentioned earlier, do something about shipping rates -- that can only help.  Whether you roll some (or all) of the shipping cost into the item price, or carry items that won't involve a lot of shipping cost or hassle, is the choice.  For very low volume sellers who are trying to get established, I think the latter is probably the better strategy. 

Survival on EBay now for smaller sellers is all about strategy.  I'm sure each seller who has been successful to some extent on eBay has developed strategies that work for their particular category(ies).  It isn't impossible (yet), but it does take work and analytical thinking -- and, I should probably add -- some patience.  Things just don't sell as quickly or as well as they used to.  Nor can you expect to make the easy profits eBay promises.  I think a lot of us have had to adjust to accepting narrower margins in order to continue to exist here.

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

One type of item:  Large heavy difficult to pack breakable items with high shipping costs.  (Such as the heavy lights sold by the person who posted but not limited to big heavy lights.)

Another type of item:  Small easy to pack items with low shipping costs.  (Such as stamps, but not limited to stamps.)

Unfortunately, given Canada Post's outlandish prices, there is very little of anything anymore that is small, easy to ship and that can generate decent profits.You only need to breech 500grams to hit $20 CDN in shipping to the US taking into account postage and supplies. Breech 1kg and watch your postage costs skyrocket by distance.

So you find a few things under 500 grams to sell and make money on and because they are small and light you can ship them safely (you think) and cheaply without tracking. Uh oh, looming in the background is the Ebay "Tracked Shipment" requirement that you need to maintain to keep your top seller status.

All the while Ebay is telling you "Anyone can sell anything, easy as 1,2,3"

I call Bravo Sierra!

Froogal I completely agree with everything you are saying, and with no offense intended to anyone, I have many times seen the "take it or leave it" responses and quietly fumed to myself over them.

Given all of the changes I am on death's door here on Ebay. As Rose refers to us, I am very much a boutique seller, and not meaning to blow my own horn, I'm a pretty smart guy. I believe that if anyone could go out, source new products to sell and make money, at the current level I am selling, I could do it. I have a pretty extensive business background and if it wasn't for poor health I would still probably be making money running my own much larger interest. The bottom line though is that under current rules, with the current market and competition, there just isn't anything that can be done other than try and fight Ebay, fruitless but sometime makes you feel better, hang on and hope for positive change, or just give up.

Personally, I am currently surviving on listing promos as I simply can't afford to pay $50 a month for a store upgrade given how bad business is. 2 days ago I had roughly 200 items listed and today i have under 50 with no ability to post more until the next promo or next month. The last "auction style" promo netted me 2  sales and I am grateful for those and to the buyers, those sales only happened as I basically gave the items away.

Dark days indeed.

thd

Message 37 of 64
latest reply

I seriously have no idea what you are talking about when you say that original posters problem is a result of eBay policy.

The poster sold 3 heavy fluorescent lights complete with those delicate breakable bulbs that explode into a million pieces when they break.  It's clearly a breakable item and would take a lot of care to ship.

I had about a hundred of these used at one time and those that weren't hauled off by friends went to the dump.  Not a huge market for used lights of that sort. 

The seller managed to get just over $20 for them and in the end cleared $11.50 and somehow you are blaming that fiasco on eBay.

How is it eBay's problem that someone listed an item to sell on line that would be difficult to sell anywhere to anyone at any time?

I'm surprised these could even be shipped for $23.98.  I thought that shipping would be twice that amount and I'm pretty sure the labour for pack etc. would be well over an hour.

How is that fiasco eBay's fault?

The seller also sold a Nintendo for $190.  He's not complaining about that:  A much more suitable item for on line selling.

Message 38 of 64
latest reply

I spent some time on my morning walk thinking about this topic.

I don't care for the way eBay controls buyers and sellers.   I've learned to ignore it.  I no longer get upset over eBay policy.

I do take note of it so that I'm at least somewhat aware, but just as much as necessary.  No more.

It changes all the time and in the end getting over-involved does me no good.  I pay attention to FB and glance at my dashboard once a month or so, but no more than that.

The reason selling on line, and eBay is just one of many venues i use, works for me is because it allows me to sell "stuff" for good money that I couldn't sell without eBay.

For example:  I have beautiful old wine glasses.  On eBay I can get $50 each for them but in an auction I'd get a few dollars.

I sold an old Time magazine for $100.  (Only on eBay!)

I sold a piece of rhinestone jewelry for $200.  At auction it would have sold for a fraction of that amount.

I had action figures I sold for more than I ever imagined they'd be worth.

The list goes on and on and on.

On line selling allows me to get good money for stuff that otherwise would get a few dollars here and there.

That's why eBay etc. works for me and why I don't get upset over fees and all the rest of it.

Until eBay gets some real competition rates won't abate, but just wait:  It will come and that will change everything.

For now I'm well aware that I do much better on line (not just eBay) than anywhere else.

Message 39 of 64
latest reply

The CFIB might be useful if we were dealing with a Canadian corporation, but how do you see it having any influence with U.S.-based eBay?

I'm not really talking about going through CFIB to try and influence eBay. Only maybe on the off-chance that the possibility arose.

Just saying deal with whatever eBay has to offer but rather than spend time or effort trying to change an organization like eBay, better to try and change one like CFIB, that actually has a mandate to support independent biz, into being less cozy cozy with big-biz and more involved in small business initiatives and ~ maybe ~ take advantage of some of the services they offer at the same time. 

Message 40 of 64
latest reply