Global Shipping Program Problem/Question

naeunii
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

So I'm new to this whole Global Shipping Program, and researching about it. The news about GSP ain't good.. Anyways, so far it's been okay. Just wondering if there are any fee's I need to pay? I paid, for the item and shipping. But import charges were $0.00. So what does import charges do? I've never dealt with import chargers nor custom duty tax. So I'm asking to the people in experience, would I need to pay any fee's?  I've also gotten an email today, as of December 28, 2016. That my item has arrived at the GSP Center on December 27, 2016. Something was odd with the dates, the most updated one says custom documentation and labeling.. Don't get me wrong I understand it, but the date says December 29, 2016 but today is the 28th? Which made me question? I know that GSP is located in Kentucky, and it's timezone is 1 hr ahead of my time. So I'm confused, I'll also provide the tracking below..

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 12:21 AM Erlanger , Kentucky Customs Documentation and Labeling Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 1:38 PM Erlanger , Kentucky Processing at Global Shipping Center Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 10:56 AM ERLANGER , KY Arrived at Global Shipping Center Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 8:10 AM ERLANGER , KY In Transit-Arrived at Post Office Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 8:10 AM ERLANGER , KY Arrived at Post Office

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

naeunii wrote:

I see, but the item I bought there was $0.00 import fees to pay for so I only ended up getting charged the item and the shipping. I can see that the shipping charge is sent to Pitney Bowes.

As the others have said in varying ways when you buy a GSP item you have paid all you need to, and one way or other you have paid whatever charges there is.  

Lately there is some question among board readers about why some listings seem to have high import charges and some have none at all for nearly identical items.  The general consensus, which was affirmed by an eBay rep, is that Pitney-Bowes is trying to make the GSP more palatable to Canadian buyers.  Are they moving the charges into the shipping fee? Funding it themselves? Taking it off more profitable items to subsidize others? Everyone has a theory.  

What matters is that when you buy a GSP item and the listing shouts out at you "No additional import charges on delivery!" that means you don't pay anything more.  If they lied about that there would be no repairing it.  Items that are shuffled through their system will arrive without extra costs to you, whether you appeared to pay the charges separately or not when you bought the item.  

no additional.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

So what does import charges do?

Import fees are made up of three parts.

Canadian duty on imports valued over $20 (~$16USD)

Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/PST) which varies from province to province.

A service fee to PitneyBowes which runs the program for eBay.

I paid, for the item and shipping. But import charges were $0.00.

No.

The only advantage to the buyer is that all the fees you are required to pay are set out before you make your payment and before the seller ships.

If the item were dutiable, you would pay duty and sales taxes and shipper service fees* on your doorstep before the purchase is turned over to you.

but the date says December 29, 2016 but today is the 28th?

The GSP plant in in Kentucky which is in the Central Time zone.

As I write this my clock shows 9:57pm Pacific Time and it is December 28.

But if you are in Newfoundland it would be December 29 and 2:29am

OR

Someone made a mistake on the date, hoping that 2016 would be over sooner.

the most updated (email) says custom documentation and labeling..

One advantage to sellers is that they don't have to deal with customs labels (which take, like, 40 seconds to fill and attach, but whatever) because this is handled by GST, mostly working from the description.

One concern might be that the shipment may be opened, inspected, repacked (badly), and a useful customs declaration attached at the plant. If this happens there will be a note in the repacked item. Let us know if this happens since most of the posters here rarely buy through the program .

If the shipment arrives when you are not home, Canada Post (who do most of the deliveries) will leave you a notice about where and when you can pick it up.

Any delays at this point will probably be due to Canada Post holidays.

*Canada Post charges $9.95, UPS charges start at $25 and go up depending on the value of the shipment. FedEx bills you later, sneakily.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

and a useful customs declaration attached at the plant.

Minor detail, they do not put customs forms on individual items. They make an entry in a bulk manifest for the whole batch of parcels.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Okay, so to get this straight I'll be only paying custom duty tax & courier service fee?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You should be paying $0 - zero - since you have already paid for the item and shipping - the GSP (Pitney Bowes) arranges their own customs clearance and freight forwarding, and probably hid any taxes, service fees, etc in the shipping amount.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@naeunii wrote:

Okay, so to get this straight I'll be only paying custom duty tax & courier service fee?

What you pay at checkout should cover everything.

If you do end up paying more when or after you receive your item, it's likely because your seller screwed up and shipped the item directly to you instead of through the Global Shipping Center, but your tracking information doesn't suggest (s)he did that.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

naeunii
Community Member
Ah alright, thanks this really helped! I appreciate it, I'm just iffy about what the first guy said about Canada Post charging me for $9.95? Which I've never heard of in my life, nor ever got charged by Canada Post. Thanks again.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

naeunii
Community Member
Ah thanks, Maggie this really helps. I appreciate it!
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@naeunii wrote:

Ah alright, thanks this really helped! I appreciate it, I'm just iffy about what the first guy said about Canada Post charging me for $9.95? Which I've never heard of in my life, nor ever got charged by Canada Post. Thanks again.

The Canada Border Services Agency can access taxes and duty owing on any item sent by mail from overseas with a declared value of over C$20.  It doesn't happen as often as it used to, however.

Canada Post will tack on a C$9.95 service fee for collecting that assessed amount from the importer (buyer) on CBSA's behalf.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

naeunii
Community Member
I see, but any chance Canada Post will charge me service fee? I just know, that I would get duty charged right? My item is over $100 and up. Also do you have any idea if I get to know what courier is used that is sent out to Canada from the Global Shipping Center? It's status says Shipped out from GSC, so wondering if I'll get to know what courier will deliver my item to me.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Only if your seller had shipped entirely through the postal system.

Which this guy didn't.

Canada Post, like every other shipper, has a service fee for wrangling imports across the border.

With the GSP, all the import fees, including the GSP fee, is paid when you buy the item and before the seller ships to you.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I see, but the item I bought there was $0.00 import fees to pay for so I only ended up getting charged the item and the shipping. I can see that the shipping charge is sent to Pitney Bowes.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@naeunii wrote:

Also do you have any idea if I get to know what courier is used that is sent out to Canada from the Global Shipping Center? It's status says Shipped out from GSC, so wondering if I'll get to know what courier will deliver my item to me.

GSP items travel as freight from the GSC to a Canadian receiving hub, usually in Mississauga or thereabouts.  From there, the shipping company used to get the item to the buyer is up to the logistics company handling the item.  Often it's Canada Post, but Canpar's been mentioned a few times in the past as well.

@naeunii wrote:

Pitney Bowes and/or eBay is experimenting with folding import charges in with the shipping costs on some GSP listings, and I suspect that's what's happened with your item.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

naeunii wrote:

As the others have said in varying ways when you buy a GSP item you have paid all you need to, and one way or other you have paid whatever charges there is.  

Lately there is some question among board readers about why some listings seem to have high import charges and some have none at all for nearly identical items.  The general consensus, which was affirmed by an eBay rep, is that Pitney-Bowes is trying to make the GSP more palatable to Canadian buyers.  Are they moving the charges into the shipping fee? Funding it themselves? Taking it off more profitable items to subsidize others? Everyone has a theory.  

What matters is that when you buy a GSP item and the listing shouts out at you "No additional import charges on delivery!" that means you don't pay anything more.  If they lied about that there would be no repairing it.  Items that are shuffled through their system will arrive without extra costs to you, whether you appeared to pay the charges separately or not when you bought the item.  

no additional.jpg

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

naeunii
Community Member
Wow thanks, I love this response. I really appreciate it, very much. Great understanding of the explanation!
Message 15 of 15
latest reply