Hello, I am new at selling and my buyer has a Post Box in the United States. The item is expensive

Hello, I recently sold an item to a buyer with only a Post Box in the United States  She e-mailed me indicating many items sent to her from Canada Post never arrived and asked me to ship with tracking.  I did say I don't ship to PO boxes under shipping details.  This item is expensive and I offered free Expedited Shipping Canada Post.  Does anyone have a suggestion what kind of Shipping method I should use to guarantee delivery, I know if I put signature required there will be no one at a PO box to sign for it, she is based in Korea with a postal box in California.

Thank you very much !!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, I am new at selling and my buyer has a Post Box in the United States. The item is expensive

I did say I don't ship to PO boxes under shipping details.

Post Office boxes are the safest possible destination.

Only the owner has a key to the box, and if the parcel won't fit, he has to go to the counter, prove his identity and get it from the clerk.

So lose that policy, it is not enforceable and only loses you potential sales.

The reason some US sellers don't allow PO boxes is because they use couriers (which are cheap and give tracking) for their domestic customers. Until recently, those couriers wouldn't deliver to PO boxes because the clerks would not sign for them.

This item is expensive and I offered free Expedited Shipping Canada Post. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

Seems sensible.

Remember that any 'parcel' rate from Canada Post is barcoded and tracked.

She e-mailed me indicating many items sent to her from Canada Post never arrived and asked me to ship with tracking. 

But items send LetterPost/Light Packet cannot be tracked.

Even Registration ends at the border.

Again, all parcels are tracked.

I know if I put signature required there will be no one at a PO box to sign for it, she is based in Korea with a postal box in California.

AHA!

The postal box is very likely a freight forwarder. A company which collects purchases for overseas buyers and then ships them to the buyer, usually handling import fees as well.

And the employee who picks up the mail at that box signs for any across the counter parcels, just as a private owner would .

Most of these are not a problem. Your responsibility as a seller ends when the tracking shows delivered to the box.

It won't hurt to use Signature Confirmation. It tells whoever is picking up that eyes are on them.

Your customer needs a better freight forwarder.

If she is having thefts, then what is happening is likely that an employee for the forwarder is stealing untracked items.

In any case, reassure her that her item will be tracked.

When you ship, also send her the tracking number.

If you buy your shipping label through Paypal/eBay not only do you likely get a discount from PO counter rates, but she is automatically informed of the number by PP. Do both.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I did say I don't ship to PO boxes under shipping details.

Post Office boxes are the safest possible destination.

Only the owner has a key to the box, and if the parcel won't fit, he has to go to the counter, prove his identity and get it from the clerk.

So lose that policy, it is not enforceable and only loses you potential sales.

The reason some US sellers don't allow PO boxes is because they use couriers (which are cheap and give tracking) for their domestic customers. Until recently, those couriers wouldn't deliver to PO boxes because the clerks would not sign for them.

This item is expensive and I offered free Expedited Shipping Canada Post. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

Seems sensible.

Remember that any 'parcel' rate from Canada Post is barcoded and tracked.

She e-mailed me indicating many items sent to her from Canada Post never arrived and asked me to ship with tracking. 

But items send LetterPost/Light Packet cannot be tracked.

Even Registration ends at the border.

Again, all parcels are tracked.

I know if I put signature required there will be no one at a PO box to sign for it, she is based in Korea with a postal box in California.

AHA!

The postal box is very likely a freight forwarder. A company which collects purchases for overseas buyers and then ships them to the buyer, usually handling import fees as well.

And the employee who picks up the mail at that box signs for any across the counter parcels, just as a private owner would .

Most of these are not a problem. Your responsibility as a seller ends when the tracking shows delivered to the box.

It won't hurt to use Signature Confirmation. It tells whoever is picking up that eyes are on them.

Your customer needs a better freight forwarder.

If she is having thefts, then what is happening is likely that an employee for the forwarder is stealing untracked items.

In any case, reassure her that her item will be tracked.

When you ship, also send her the tracking number.

If you buy your shipping label through Paypal/eBay not only do you likely get a discount from PO counter rates, but she is automatically informed of the number by PP. Do both.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you so very much, I feel much better , I was worried. Another seller just left a bad review about her cancelling a transaction after the seller accepted a best offer from her. Again GREAT advice
Message 3 of 3
latest reply