How can I tell if an email from Ebay is real or Fake?

atticmania
Community Member
I just received the following FAKE? email ......
Dear eBay User,
We recently noticed one or more attempts to login into your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account has been hijacked by a third party without your authorization.
In order to protect your sensitive information or unauthorized listings we temporarily suspended your account for further investigations. To reactivate your account, click on the link below and confirm your identity by completing the secure form that will appear.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.

Take our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank you

eBay Account Theft Prevention
HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED ANY SIMILAR EMAILS ? I AM ASSUMING IT'S A FAKE BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A WAY TO TELL FOR CERTAIN.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

jaymor8
Community Member
Hi attic - my husband and I get those emails a couple of times a week. The very first clue is 'Dear Ebay User'. Ebay would never do that, they would write your name i.e. Dear John Doe - secondly ebay never asks for you to give personal or sensitive information in emails. If there is something wrong with your account, you would see it. Otherwise, just delete the emails and ignore them.

Having said that, should you ever be worried that something that you have received is legitimate, just email ebay themselves and ask them to verify it. If there is a problem, they will be aware of it.

One more thing, never reply to those emails. It just eggs them on and sometimes they could be virus laden, as well. Hope this helps!!!

Jackie...
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

atticmania
Community Member
Thanks Jackie,
That's a Big Help. I assumed it was a fake but It's getting harder to tell. These emails are very well done - even the link that they provided appeared to direct to Ebay.
Thanks again,
Atticmania
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Hi atticmania,

One thing I always do when I get these, whether I'm sure if it's real or not, is forward it with all headers, to spoof@ebay.com or .ca. They get back to me within 2 or 3 hours to confirm that yes it was indeed a "spoof" email. I do this with every one I get, which is a lot some weeks, so that eBay knows the extent and frequency of the problem!

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 4 of 4
latest reply