I made an offer and I won but i don't want the item. Is it problem?!

kimiahenna
Community Member
17 REPLIES 17

Re: I made an offer and I won but i don't want the item. Is it problem?!

Is it problem?!

Yes. Once you make an offer and it is accepted by the seller, it is like signing a contract and you have to pay for it. If you don't, you can receive a strike for non payment. And if you get 2 of those strikes within a year, you will be blocked by many sellers.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why on earth did you make the offer and then changed mind?  Be serious and accept responsibilities.  You are giving the sellers the grief that they don't need.  Be wise and be serious!  eBay is not for you or anyone to play fool around with!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Was going to the seller board, as I sell. SAw this. THIS is what the sellers are complaining about. NEWBIE buyers like you playing games. WHyd you make the offer in the first place? Id wait the 4 days and open a dispute against you if id sold this and you werent wanting to pay. You shouldnt be on ebay. BRUTAL

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

more4u
Community Member

Please tell me your kidding. People who do these things waste a lot of time and effort. I have my auctions set up to try and block bidders like you

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Is it problem?1"

Yes You are the problem!  We don't need unpaid item bidders like yourself.  If you cannot commit to anything, don't bid on anything.  You shouldn't be on eBay at all.   I have put you on my block to avoid the similar problems.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

All bids are a binding contract that is not enforced, it's a joke

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"All bids are a binding contract"

That is correct

It applies on eBay and everywhere else.

What to do when a bidder does not honour his/her bid?

If there is damage, the party who has been damaged can go to court to recover the damages if one can prove actual damages, not just inconvenience. 

It is no different here.  eBay is not the police, it is not a justice system; it is a venue where sellers advertise their products and buyers buy.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Is it a bigger problem than buyer making multiple paid purchases on Saturday, then changing his mind on Sunday ? Did not make much stink of it.

Buyer is entitled to make up his mind. If service was not rendered yet, no packaging was done, seller is only bitter about lost sale, but direct costs are minimal (ebay relist fee, 1-2 min of clicking).

A buyer making up his mind at this stage of transaction is WAY BETTER than buyer making up his mind after the item is sent.

kimiahenna, you are totally entitled changing your mind at this stage. If item has return policy, you are entitled changing your mind up to return policy deadline, although portion of your payment can be lost. If seller files a dispute and is making you purchase something you no longer need, he deserves a red doughnut and let him spend 1/2hr on the phone with Ebay having it removed.

To all, I am a seller.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

If seller files a dispute and is making you buy something you no longer need, he deserves a red doughnut and let him spend 1/2hr on the phone with ebay having it removed.

Can't believe you would offer that kind of advice.

Wow, just wow.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

You must love receiving and processing returns.

From contract law standpoint, if sale has return terms, buyer can change his mind anytime before the return deadline. That means even before item ships out.

The Ebay viewpoint is: if seller pushes the issue, buyer gets meaningless "strike" that goes away in 30 days.

There is NOTHING seller can do to force the buyer cough up the money. Ebay will not help. Court will not help. Because that is the standard this society chose for these transactions. BUYER CAN CHANGE HIS MIND. Accept it.

If you want to be stickler for laws, look here: http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Cancel_a_Contract.aspx

Every province and US state has consumer protection rules similar to these.

Now let's get back to the personal attack portion of the reply. I am amazed any serious seller thinks the way presented in this thread. You guys belong in history, prohibition era or sooner.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Sorry folks, got carried away there at the end.

But yes, I do believe the seller who forces buyer complete not-needed purchase, deserves a red. You may share my sentiment next time your elderly mother who never leaves the house makes a deal of a lifetime time-share purchase and you get her to cancel it within cooling off period 🙂

The issue is moot, OP never returned to read replies.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

A small correction: The strike lasts for a year after it is given, not a month. Sellers can block buyers with 2 or more strikes in the past 12 months in their buyer requirements in My eBay site preferences. So a buyer that makes a habit of not paying can be blocked by sellers.

I checked my buyer activity log and found that two potential buyers was blocked from buying an item because of too many Unpaid Item strikes. I prefer to have buyers with a history of not paying blocked potentially saving an issue later.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To dipmicro.  Overall this buyer shouldn't make any offers, then changed bid in the first place. 

For your information, it takes 4 days before we can open the unpaid item process and then another 4 days before we can close it and then relist any item.  It is not like 1-2 minute click like you said unless it is a cancellation process.  Actually the sellers shouldn't use the cancellation process as it is not 100% reliable as the buyers can reject, then the sellers lose the refund for final value fees.

Best process is to use open the unpaid item process, that way the buyers get a strike for each transaction and no ability to leave negative feedback to sellers.  That process is the best way than using the cancellation process.

By using the cancellation process, the buyers can reject it, the sellers lose the refund for final value fees and can/may get the negative feedback which is not ideal.

Thanks.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Best process is to use open the unpaid item process, that way the buyers get a strike for each transaction and no ability to leave negative feedback to sellers.  That process is the best way than using the cancellation process.

Since it's hard to comprehend seller has no legal nor moral grounds to force buyer complete the purchase, let me present different perspective:

Multiple choices for a buyer:

* refuse the shipment, file Not Received

* claim Unauthorized Use

* open RMA with Ebay, return the item at seller's cost

* open Not As Described, in some cases keep the item and get money back

Add "libel in the fedback" on all the above.

Unpaid strike? Second, third, ... ebay account. Guest checkout.

I get 2-3 cancellation requests every week. If I were to stress about it, I'd be 6ft under long ago. Scammers and self-entitled bully buyers who think they spend $10 in your store and act like you owe them your life, those bother me slightly more.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for that question.  YOU HAVE BEEN BLOCKED FROM BIDDING AND BUYING.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

How do you feel about adding back negative feedback to bidders/buyers who do not pay? Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

No one can leave feedback unless a transaction has been opened. So there can be no feedback of any sort for bidders.

For deadbeat buyers, who have entered a contract (although I agree with dipmicro that there is a 'cooling off' included in the contract, often expressed as 'if you take Paypal , you take returns') feedback serves two purposes:

- it is revenge for sellers whose knickers are in a twist

- ummm. Nope only one purpose.

For those who say" it warns other sellers' . No it doesn't.

It only warns those few sellers, mostly newbies and part-timers, who have time to monitor the bids on their auctions.

If the seller does not list by auction, and I am one of the majority of sellers who don't, negs are useless, because I don't see who my customers are until they have purchased.

What is useful to us is the Unpaid Item Strike. We can block deadbeats before they bid, without having to do anything more than setting up the automatic Block in our Seller Preferences.

But the usefulness of the automatic Block is dependent on other sellers pushing those UIDs and giving the Strikes.

Which do last for a year.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply