Import charges

cjrsb
Community Member

I am getting charged a Import charges on a antique pocket watch #111030701560

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Import charges

The item is over $20 and it is imported so you are charged a fee. If you do not wish to be charged the fee, do not buy outside Canada in the future.

Please be aware that the fee has nothing to do with the seller and does not go to the seller so be sure not to punish the seller for the fees nor mention it in feedback.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Import charges

In the first section of that listing (or any US listing) under shipping will see..import charges..to be provided at checkout.

Means seller is using ebay's new Global Shipping Program. Customs charges are calculated by Pitney Bowes ( ebay's partner) and paid at checkout , rather than on delivery.

What is means, of course, is that it eliminates any possibility of items ,by mail , slipping through Customs without taxes/duty assigned.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Import charges

I should have added that not all US seller are , or will, use GSP but i suspect will increase over time.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Import charges

If the value is over $20 the item will be assessed for duty and sales tax.

The shipper will charge you a service fee ($9.95 from Canada Post, much higher for couriers)

There will be sales taxes with the amount varying from province to province. Used items (and antiques) are not free from sales tax.

There may or may not be duty charged on the item itself. If you believe that the duty should not have been charged, you can call the CSBA number on the back of the invoice your shipper gave you and appeal.

CBSA will decide whether or not the item is free from duty. This may depend on what the item is, where it was made and how old it is.

One purpose of duty is to protect domestic industry which is the main reason why "antiques" are often duty-free. 

As stated the seller has nothing to do with all this.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply