Indonesia eBay scam

On Friday, September 11th 2015 at 2:38 PM I had a buyer from Indonesia purchase a $300 laptop that I had for sale. They said;

“I really want it. Give me the total number I should pay including the shipping tax.”

Even though my only shipping options were Canada and USA, they bought it without asking any questions (such as shipping costs). The eBay member has been a member since January of 2014, and they have no history and zero feedback. I replied to the member that shipping would be about $200 (which is true), and I suggested that they buy a laptop closer to their location. Their response “ok..thanks…”, which I assume that means they are no longer interested in buying. I am almost 100% sure that this is a scam, but the problem is technically they have not done anything wrong except not pay me yet and ignore my e-mails.

Instead of doing my research first I cancelled the item (which I later read that I should have marked it as unpaid). Now I have sent about eight e-mails to the user to please confirm the cancel over the past few days. I know that I am never going to hear from them again. So now I am on the hook for $30 in eBay fees (which is a lot to me right now). Which I am almost certain that I will have to end up paying (which is beyond ridiculous). I have not even received a penny yet in payment, this is a 100% loss.

I have been an eBay member for over 11 years, I sell maybe one or two items a year. This is the first time this has ever happened.

Questions;

1. What are my options here, how long until I can report this member?
  2. How long can I push off paying the $30 to eBay? I ask just in case of the 0.000001% chance that I do not have to pay it.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Indonesia eBay scam

Now I have sent about eight e-mails to the user to please confirm the cancel over the past few days.

Do you mean that you sent the bidder a Request for a Mutual Cancellation?

If so, the MC will time out, the transaction will be cancelled, and you will get your FVF back. It takes about a week, unfortunately.

There is no point in trying to communicate with the bidder further.

While it may be a scam, it is just as likely that he bid in blissful ignorance of the cost of international shipping, just like the Canadian and US buyers we see here from time to time complaining about the cost of shipping.

If you continue to poke him, he may refuse the cancellation. Then the FVF remain due.

Fingers crossed.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Indonesia eBay scam

I think I did a Request for a Mutual Cancellation, right now it says; "We'll ask the buyer to confirm the cancel. Buyer has up to 10 days to confirm".

So my best option at this point is to leave them alone and let the now 7 days pass (since it has already been 3), and hope they ignore it so I will not have to pay the FVF. I am almost certain that is what will ultimately happen, this user probably has multiple eBay accounts, and has already moved on.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Indonesia eBay scam

Have you set up your shipping options correctly?  In addition to choosing your shipping options for Canada and then for USA, you need to indicate which countries you do NOT ship to on the Sell Your Item form.  You then also have to choose in your account preferences to block buyers whose primary shipping address is from countries you don't ship to.  Only by doing all of this can you control who may bid or buy.  At the same time, check that you have blocked bidders with any strikes against them, etc, example 2 unpaid item strikes in 12 months, 4 policy violations in 6 months.  You will find all these options under Account>Site Preferences>Buyer Requirements.

As femmefan advised, wait it out for the 10 days.  If you don't see a credit for your FVF on your account activity, phone eBay - have the listing number, and all other information ready.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Indonesia eBay scam

I think I did a Request for a Mutual Cancellation, right now it says; "We'll ask the buyer to confirm the cancel. Buyer has up to 10 days to confirm".

So my best option at this point is to leave them alone and let the now 7 days pass (since it has already been 3), and hope they ignore it so I will not have to pay the FVF. I am almost certain that is what will ultimately happen, this user probably has multiple eBay accounts, and has already moved on.

Comments tend to be invisible. So I have reposted yours.

Yes. Get your fees back, Block the bidder, and move on. You can leave feedback (as can he) but since you have a choice of positive or none, I wouldn't.

It is my understanding that a Block on an account will also Block any other IDs from that member.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Indonesia eBay scam

Just an update, as of September 18th, I have not heard back from them yet. It will officially be ten days since the cancel request on Tuesday.

Also I have blocked buyers outside of the US and Canada, and buyers that do not have a PayPal account in my settings as suggested. It used to be (seven plus years ago), one could set up the buyer requirements when the listing was created. I do not know when this changed.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply