Is this a scam?

stopngrow
Community Member
Hi, I have purchased a phone from following option 3064272179
Problem I am having is that this guy wants me to send a money order and not pay by visa or mastercard or paypal even though in his auction it says he accepts all major credit cards. When I asked he told me that he accepts credit cards by going to western union and sending a money transfer.
I am getting leary here since the product is half the price of what other sellers are selling for.
Also, he has given me a phone number in england that I cannot contact.
Any suggestions ?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is this a scam?

deltone
Community Member
Well, I'm not sure I'd go through with this. I'm far from being an expert but it doesn't look good to me. For one thing, he's registered in the US so why the English phone number?

Also, on the surface his feedback looks good, but......a lot of his feedback is from buying, and he's not had much recent activity. Now he has these high ticket items for sale (over 13 more of those phones, and a camera worth over $1,000. No way I'd send this guy a dime.

It smells VERY VERY fishy to me. Run, run, run!!!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

stopngrow
Community Member
I just called the ebay user id that ebay gave me and the person told me that it was a scam and that someone took over their ebay account.
I am reporting to ebay right away.
Thanks
Dan
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

shooger
Community Member
When I try and view that item, it says it's not available for viewing, or has expired. Does that mean the seller was yanked?
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

shooger
Community Member
Okay, that explains why I can't view the auction, then. Man, that was quick 🙂
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

deltone
Community Member
Thank God. It really did look like a hijacked acount. The guy hadn't sold anything in a while, and the feedback, while good, wasn't that recent. Also, who the heck has 13 or 14 high priced phones for sale at half the typical price. I'm glad you reported this and didn't send any money.

D*mn crooks!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

stopngrow
Community Member
I contacted the seller and they told me that their account was hijacked.
The fraudster then tried to call me on my phone from a foreign number.
I guess that when it looks too good to be true it probably is....
Thanks to all
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Is this a scam?

deltone
Community Member
I'm glad you didn't get scammed stopngrow. Let us know if you find out any more!!!!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply