Limiting Shipping Charges

kxeron
Community Member

Hi,

Another suggestion of mine, some may like it, others may hate it, yes there may be ways to sort search results, but I think it'd be a good tool to be available to buyers.

I would like to see on eBay.com and all associated sites, a mechanism to limit searches to items within a specific range of shipping charges. If someone indicates they're only willing to pay a specific range (via "Show items priced from"), they expect shipping charges to be that within roughly 10-25% of the pricing they mentioned via that search option ($250 shipping on $1000 item isn't totally unreasonable with the right item, nor is $25 on $100, or $10 on $50 etc). The budget people have in mind is for the total bottom line, not just the item cost.

There are many, MANY sellers who list auctions that fraudulently claim that shipping charges are exactly the full retail cost plus shipping of that item new, thus if the auction ends and they don't get the amount they "wanted" out of the auction, they secured the cost through the alleged shipping charges and proceed to pocket those charges with what they got through the auction as being profit, making it appear to those who partook in the auction that they were getting a deal.

Another situation with many sellers is those who misenter information about shipping like entering into the shipping details clothing measured fully spread out, rather than wrapped up and packaged, causing shipping charges to become amplified due to odd/awkwardly shaped items provisions, this would permit buyers to eliminate those cases and thus having an effect to encourage sellers to measure and package correctly.

This option would also enable people to yes, filter out GSP charges, but not as a sole focus of this feature, it wouldn't be a checkbox to eliminate the GSP from search result, but any and all Import charges must be included in the bottom line calculation to determine whether to include or eliminate it as per this feature suggestion.

There are instances where people have a set budget and at the end of the day the item cost isn't what they're looking for but the total cost of purchase — what will show up on their paypal or credit card invoice. If you go to a physical store and see the price tag, you can take an average guess what that item will cost you with tax, but with eBay this has become difficult as shipping charges wildly differ and are very inconsistent even with items from the same rough location. There needs to be a technological means for setting a range for that budget for again, the bottom line.

The difficulty overall is that people have to be practically at checkout to determine what their full charges will be and be at the stage immediately before committing to buy to see what they will owe — the bottom line — there is no clean way to otherwise see this bottom line or to search the site for this bottom line, not just a cost of the item itself.

Inversely, perhaps someone is looking for a higher shipping to ensure that the item arrives safely and correctly, and should as well be able to dictate they want that available rather than an economy shipping package without having to comb through many cumbersomely expensive items through current sorting mechanisms.

The eBay site software is run on computers, computers should be capable of calculating to some precision what shipping charges will be for items and permitting eliminating based on that — eBay needs to bring back the enjoyment of going from item to item in search results and checking out the item, and make the shipping charges less of a concern by again, permitting people to eliminate items with certain shipping charges just like the "Show items priced from" advanced search option.

I just thought I'd post this suggestion.

To Moderators: Please do not merge this thread into the GSP thread, this is not soley a GSP issue despite this suggestion having GSP impact — this is an issue with regular shipping charges as well.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member

How much success have you had with the option to sort search results by "price + shipping" either lowest or highest first?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

How much success have you had with the option to sort search results by "price + shipping" either lowest or highest first?

Generally, it's been the closest to what I've been looking for, but it's been hard to correctly filter out fraudulant shipping charges. I often see items, especially foreign, spammed on the site with a cost of $0.99 to 5, but a shipping charge of 14.99 or 39.99 or something that suggests an item's retail cost, it's hard to filter through these as they're all over the place, sometimes with pages full of them.

In the same, often times it almost seems like many foreign sellers strategically price their shipping charges to get on multiple pages sorted by the "price + shipping" of search results for the same item, again, making it harder to filter through these, clothing is often the most prevalent area of this — it feels more like a form of advertising in many cases than true listings as many of these entries expire without any purchase.

Too, often the "price + shipping" option just brings weird foreign listings with "Free Shipping" to the top, items with questionable quality, I don't mind spending money on shipping, but I want a quality item as well and thumbing through page after page of knock-offs or unverifiable items is far from the way I want to be spending an evening trying to get through odd "Free Shipping" items.

To clarify: I don't mind paying shipping, it's just I want a *MODEST* shipping charge that's within a certain percentile of the item's cost, in extension I want to be able to say "Okay, I'm looking for a $15-25 item with roughly $7-15 shipping and handling, not a $5 item with $30 shipping".

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Okay, I'm confused now.  Your opening post, suggested to me that the "bottom line" price was the most important thing to you, yet now you're throwing in the criterion of the shipping price being a certain percentage of the item price.  This makes no sense since if a seller is reselling the shipping rate on a break-even basis (i.e. charging "actual postage") then the shipping price may have no relation to the item price.  You're not going to expect a 500 gram item selling for $20 to have the same shipping price as a 5 kg item selling for the same price, are you?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Okay, I'm confused now.  Your opening post, suggested to me that the "bottom line" price was the most important thing to you, yet now you're throwing in the criterion of the shipping price being a certain percentage of the item price.  This makes no sense since if a seller is reselling the shipping rate on a break-even basis (i.e. charging "actual postage") then the shipping price may have no relation to the item price.  You're not going to expect a 500 gram item selling for $20 to have the same shipping price as a 5 kg item selling for the same price, are you?

To summarize the issue, I'm asserting that the "Show items priced from" feature of the advanced search form has become ineffectual due to dramatically increased shipping charges, perhaps legitimate, perhaps not and that is where eBay fails to correctly ensure people are looking for the pricing they want (on the bottom line), not the pricing they want PLUS some more.

If someone inputs unreasonable figures into the shipping charges for what they want, give them 0 item search results, but that tool should be available for buyers to use nonetheless because if someone puts in reasonable figures, they should be able to find the general region of the pricing they want (on the bottom line), again not the pricing they want PLUS additional charges.

eBay shouldn't put it onto the buyer to know all sorts of ins and outs of logistics, knowing the postal standards, etc etc. eBay's search form is a search form, not a vehicle for policy or standards nor a transaction, if someone violates standards, they'll figure out eventually what DOES yeild them results and not have to worry about 200 pages of "how shipping works" nor "what reasonable shipping charges really are". eBay was originally built to simplify commerce and make it easy for both buyers and sellers, not complicate it and with eBay's involvement in the shipping process it is time for more tools to be available to manage those costs to buyers, rather than having them go through 200 pages of search results while only 5-10 may be relevant due to shipping costs.

eBay's search form already has a checkbox for "Free Shipping", what more is a couple of text fields that search by shipping cost?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm asserting that the "Show items priced from" feature of the advanced search form

The suggestion is to use the "Price+Shipping - Highest/Lowest First". This sorts items according to their true total price to your location, dropping items without shipping specified to Canada/location.

Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=serenity+DVD&_sop=16

On the second one of these when I went from destination Ottawa CANADA at $100 shipping, the 90210USA, shipping dropped to Free.

The hard part is to get newbies to Search with options other than Best Match. If they find the dropdown, BDR*,  then your suggestion pops right up, if they want to use it.

*Buyers Don't Read

Okay, now I can't get down. - Kaylee Frye

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I got tired of typing this all the time, so I saved it . It seems relevant here although it was originally part of a Seller Board discussion of how to decide on shipping charges.

hen there is Free shipping a Seller may not be charged 10% on shipping BUT be sure that Seller has inflated his selling price to include shipping and eBay still gets 10% of the price which includes shipping.  Who can ship Free - other posters

Nobody. Free Shipping is an advertising gimmick and one that works very well.
Which is cheapest:
A $5 item with $10 shipping
A $10 item with $5 shipping
A $15 item with Free Shipping.
The wise shopper purchases based on total price, not broken down by category.
And customers love to see that word "free".
Couple that with the perception that the more expensive the item, the better it must be, and that $15 item with Free shipping will sell faster and more often that the others at identical cost. (And the slowest will be the cheap $5 item with "gouging' shipping, which will also get lower DSRs for high shipping cost.)

Note that the seller pays the same fees on all three items, with the exception of fees on international shipping as pierre points out.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you are signed into ebay when you use the sorting feature lowest price plus shipping you do see the bottom line...the total price. The only time that this isn't true is the item is being shipped through the gsp. If that item is being sold through an auction, then the shipping price and/or import price will change as the total price goes up. If the item is being sold as a fixed price item, you will likely see one price for shipping on the search page but when you click on the actual listing, the shipping price will be approximately $1.50-$4 higher. I agree that ebay should have fixed that problem long ago but other than in those two example, you do see the price you are going to pay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I'm asserting that the "Show items priced from" feature of the advanced search form

The suggestion is to use the "Price+Shipping - Highest/Lowest First". This sorts items according to their true total price to your location, dropping items without shipping specified to Canada/location.

Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=serenity+DVD&_sop=16

On the second one of these when I went from destination Ottawa CANADA at $100 shipping, the 90210USA, shipping dropped to Free.

The hard part is to get newbies to Search with options other than Best Match. If they find the dropdown, BDR*,  then your suggestion pops right up, if they want to use it.

*Buyers Don't Read

Okay, now I can't get down. - Kaylee Frye

I do use the "Price + Shipping" option very often, but it still seems incomplete in an environment where shipping charges have become a cost category of their own and where a combination of "Price+Shipping" AND "Show items priced from" often gives a false image of items being affordable as the shipping charge lines are tucked away as if they're unimportant compared to the item cost.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I got tired of typing this all the time, so I saved it . It seems relevant here although it was originally part of a Seller Board discussion of how to decide on shipping charges.

hen there is Free shipping a Seller may not be charged 10% on shipping BUT be sure that Seller has inflated his selling price to include shipping and eBay still gets 10% of the price which includes shipping.  Who can ship Free - other posters

Nobody. Free Shipping is an advertising gimmick and one that works very well.
Which is cheapest:
A $5 item with $10 shipping
A $10 item with $5 shipping
A $15 item with Free Shipping.
The wise shopper purchases based on total price, not broken down by category.
And customers love to see that word "free".
Couple that with the perception that the more expensive the item, the better it must be, and that $15 item with Free shipping will sell faster and more often that the others at identical cost. (And the slowest will be the cheap $5 item with "gouging' shipping, which will also get lower DSRs for high shipping cost.)

Note that the seller pays the same fees on all three items, with the exception of fees on international shipping as pierre points out.

In that case, the "Show items priced from" option should be redesigned to include any and all shipping, handling and import charges. If someone inputs the maximum of $15 or even 50, then all of the above examples should be displayed, if someone inputs the maximum of $10, it would eliminate them providing potential cheaper options instead of providing an illusion there's lots of items within their budget with smaller print shipping charges nearby.

I think that the current posturing where shipping charges are treated as if they are irrelevant small print things that are minor charges is not good for experiences of buyers who want to be able to set a *DEFINITIVE* price+shipping of what they will spend and be able to happily go from item to item and focus on the *ITEMS* rather than always looking over their shoulder for shipping charges. If I say "I want a maximum of $50 TOTAL" that should not be $60, 50 with 10 shipping.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply