Paid USPS, Seller sends it FEDEX

I asked this seller on dotcom; if they would send my item USPS.

The seller sent it FEDEX.

Now what is a person supposed to do.

This could up my cost 20-25% for this item.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

Keep the rubber on the road.

@@@@oooo....g

Don't let a little thing like fear or common sense stop ya'
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paid USPS, Seller sends it FEDEX

Hello 'hereiam',

Is this about the saddle bag?  You're right, it is going to cost you at the door.  If it is considered 'parts', there should be no duty on it, but there will be tax, according to your province, and of course the Fedex brokerage.  On the bright side, Fedex is not as horrific as UPS, but still...

The seller presumably gave a tracking number.  Now what some folks I've heard about do is, on the day it gets delivered, rather than answer the door they have the delivery person leave the announcement.  It's a fiddly bit of paper which states how much you will owe when the item is delivered again the following day.  This gives you a day to find your cheque book, or muster up the cash.

It will also enable you to decide if you are going to accept or refuse.  For your item it should all be okay, most likely, -- there is more of a problem with artworks in which the buyer only pays $120 but the artist values the piece at over $1000. 

You'll have to pay tax on the item just like everything you buy in your province, you'll pay the brokerage fee, plus tax on that.  The total you owe will be written on that piece of paper if no one is home at the time the delivery person shows up.

By now you already know about the disadvantages when buying from sellers who do not usually ship to Canada.  Sellers like yours use couriers state-to-state which is not particularly expensive.  It is easier to have the courier pick up their stuff at the door and sort it out, rather than have to go to the post office with your one item. 

The seller told you what you wanted to hear because he is confident that you will not decline it.  He probably does not know about brokerage fees and Canada's Customs.  Because if you refused the parcel, you would want to then file an Item Not Received claim (after all, when it gets sent back, tracking will show that you don't have it), and if there are 'return' delivery charges the seller will have to pay those.  So he would not be very fond of you.  Oh, decisions, decisions. . .   🙂

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Did the seller confirm that they would indeed use USPS to ship the item or did you just assume they would after you asked? If you didn't get a confirmation from the seller and if the listing itself states that they use FedEx,there's not much you can do but pay any fees that FedEx may charge.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Contact seller. If you decline he will have to pay FEDEX's return fees. Perhaps you can agree on a compromise.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Seller sent me the wrong tracking number:O

They did end up using USPS:^O

Thank you again for your help,

always appreciate the objective views.

Keep smilin'

I know I am;-)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hello 'hereiam',

Is this about the saddle bag?  You're right, it is going to cost you at the door.  If it is considered 'parts', there should be no duty on it, but there will be tax, according to your province, and of course the Fedex brokerage.  On the bright side, Fedex is not as horrific as UPS, but still...

The seller presumably gave a tracking number.  Now what some folks I've heard about do is, on the day it gets delivered, rather than answer the door they have the delivery person leave the announcement.  It's a fiddly bit of paper which states how much you will owe when the item is delivered again the following day.  This gives you a day to find your cheque book, or muster up the cash.

It will also enable you to decide if you are going to accept or refuse.  For your item it should all be okay, most likely, -- there is more of a problem with artworks in which the buyer only pays $120 but the artist values the piece at over $1000. 

You'll have to pay tax on the item just like everything you buy in your province, you'll pay the brokerage fee, plus tax on that.  The total you owe will be written on that piece of paper if no one is home at the time the delivery person shows up.

By now you already know about the disadvantages when buying from sellers who do not usually ship to Canada.  Sellers like yours use couriers state-to-state which is not particularly expensive.  It is easier to have the courier pick up their stuff at the door and sort it out, rather than have to go to the post office with your one item. 

The seller told you what you wanted to hear because he is confident that you will not decline it.  He probably does not know about brokerage fees and Canada's Customs.  Because if you refused the parcel, you would want to then file an Item Not Received claim (after all, when it gets sent back, tracking will show that you don't have it), and if there are 'return' delivery charges the seller will have to pay those.  So he would not be very fond of you.  Oh, decisions, decisions. . .   🙂

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Did the seller confirm that they would indeed use USPS to ship the item or did you just assume they would after you asked? If you didn't get a confirmation from the seller and if the listing itself states that they use FedEx,there's not much you can do but pay any fees that FedEx may charge.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Contact seller. If you decline he will have to pay FEDEX's return fees. Perhaps you can agree on a compromise.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Seller sent me the wrong tracking number:O

They did end up using USPS:^O

Thank you again for your help,

always appreciate the objective views.

Keep smilin'

I know I am;-)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply