Paypal DEMANDS you send out items via tracked mail!

I sold some expensive moldavite - on March 31st. The buyer REFUSED to pay for tracked shipping. So I mailed it out on April 2nd. On April 21st he filed a claim saying he hadn't received it yet! I put forward to Paypal that ALL I could do is follow what he wanted. So they have now issued him a full refund - debited me. So this guy will get the moldavite for free. And I'm out of pocket. They said that I HAVE to mail it via tracked - I said that most people don't want to pay for expedited and refuse to pay extra. The Paypal person said "well don't sell to them then!" I am SO SO upset that Paypal didn't even tell the buyer "It's still early and lets wait another 2 weeks" they just gave him a refund. They said they will email him and tell him to send me the payment when he gets the moldavite - yeah good luck with that one! Do any of you know if I have any recourse at all? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I would say to be at 3700 feedback and to be just learning this now you should consider yourself lucky ... 😉

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

I got burned by this too.

The buyer can put in a claim and escalate it before there's any chance the parcel could have been delivered overseas.

They can do this even if they specifically request the cheaper service with no tracking.

They know this and will escalate as soon as they can.

I was lucky to get burned on a mere $1 item with a $20 shipping fee and I learned my lesson.  Half my lesson was about shipping, but the other half was about not trusting someone until you verify they do not have private feedback.  As I saw how quickly he jumped to make a claim against me, I understood why his feedback was private.  I'm sure many buyers have mastered the art of getting free stuff by taking advantage of ebay's policies.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply