Post office claims item delivered-customer never received it.

I shipped an item from Canada to US.The tracking # shows it was delivered.Customer says she never received it.What do I do?It's insured.Do I have to pay her back immeditely if item isn't found? I am hoping it was a mistake & it's back at her post office.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If the Post Office says it is delivered, you never have to pay her back at all.

Why not?

Because it may have been delivered to a 'secure' spot. Tell her to check between the screen and the door they don't often use. Also -- inside the BBQ. I don't know why this is popular but....

Because it may have been accepted by family or roommates.

Because it may have been left with a neighbour, on purpose or by accident.

Because the buyer may be lying.

Because it may be waiting at her post office for pickup.

Because it may have been left on her porch and stolen.

Be very polite and sympathetic in your communication. Advise her to ask family, roommates and neighbours about it. Tell her to ask at the post office.

Tell her to report the lost package, if the PO is adamant about delivery to the postmaster for the Postal Inspectors (in case of internal loss) and to the local police (in case of porch theft).

• This one ends a lot of scams fast.

Tell her to report the lost or stolen parcel to her household insurance company.

Once proven delivered, you are not responsible. And btw, if she leave FB saying different you can have it removed.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jazzywazzyaaron wrote:

I shipped an item from Canada to US.The tracking # shows it was delivered.Customer says she never received it.What do I do?It's insured.Do I have to pay her back immeditely if item isn't found? I am hoping it was a mistake & it's back at her post office.

You don't have to do anything. As a courtesy, I would keep contact and explain that there is proof of delivery and she may want to check again. As long as there is tracking, you're safe. PO Insurance will not pay for the item because it was noted as delivered. Even if a Paypal case is opened, it will automatically go in your favour.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If the buyer has filed an item not received claim you need to reply to it by  entering the del. confirmation number. You should do this even if you uploaded the number when you sent the item.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You were right.The buyer found the package in her garage.Thanks again!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

cekbc
Community Member

This has happened to us and when we contacted Canada Post they suggested that in future we mark package DO NOT LEAVE , which we now do on all Tracked Packages.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Considering all the fenceable stuff I keep in my garage, I'm amazed that the customer would leave hers unlocked!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply