Question about an item I bought, but seller changed shipping cost.

I recently bought item # 161172213924

It was a record/LP

In the listing the record was $99.99, the shipping cost was $11.95 USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service. I bought the item with "Buy It Now" and paid right away. After the auction closed, the next day the seller emailed me asking for a further $45 for shipping on top of the $11.95 I already paid in the auction listing. The seller wanted to send it Global Express Mail and he wanted the $45 for a tracking number and insurance. But nowhere in the original eBay listing did it say $45 shipping and nowhere did it say Global Express Mail. The seller emailed me after the auction ending, changing the shipping method as well as the shipping price. I figured the seller would now ship my item if I didn't pay the higher shipping costs, so I told the seller if he couldn't ship the item USPS First Class Itnl, then to refund my money which the seller did. But USPS First Class International does provide insurance and a tracking number too. Didn't this seller violate eBay policy, by trying to charge me more for shipping after the auction closed? What do you think?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Didn't this seller violate eBay policy, by trying to charge me more for shipping after the auction closed? What do you think?

Yes, the seller violated an eBay policy by asking much more than what was written in his listing. If he wanted to ship by GEM, he should indicate this in his listing (I see that he relisted the item with the new shipping cost).

As for insurance, I don't think it can be added at the Post Office on First Class Mail International. Only on Priority Mail. However, I think he could have used eBay shipping and add insurance there. Or use a third party insurer for only a buck or 2.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Just to follow-up on lady.stark's excellent post, I'd advise your seller that First Class International is trackable to Canada provided that the postage is purchased online.  Give him this link if you want some back-up:

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-package-international-service.htm

If your seller wants to pursue insuring the item and needs leads on other third-party insurers, U-Pic and Shipsurance should also cover it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Bottom Line, you won the Auction fair & square on their terms.

Now they want to change the shipping price after the fact.

I have made mistakes in my shipping rates & have sucked up the loss & shipped the item.

They should have also. It is the right thing to do.

They then have the gonads to relist the item.

I would leave appropriate Feedback, DSRs & definitely report the seller.

Sellers like these are not needed on eBay.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply