Revenue Canada steps up hunt for eBay tax dodgers

http://finance.sympatico.ca/Home/ContentPosting?newsitemid=ebay-tax-dodge&feedname=CBC-BUSINESS-V3&s...

From CBC news:

"The Canada Revenue Agency is stepping up its efforts to track down eBay merchants who haven't paid taxes on profits made from selling goods on the popular auction website.

To date, only 50 Canadian eBay merchants have come forward to pay their back taxes since July, when Revenue Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn gave high-volume eBay sellers one last chance to pay their taxes without penalty.

Under Canadian tax law, profits on goods someone sells are considered income, no matter what the venue. A recent court decision forces eBay to hand over the names, addresses and sales records of its high-volume merchants to tax officials.

Citing privacy concerns, eBay wouldn't reveal the number of merchant records it has sent to the Canada Revenue Agency but did confirm it's in the thousands. The company says it informed its users ahead of time that their records were being passed on to tax authorities.

The federal agency told CBC News it has processed only nine of the proactive voluntary disclosures and that those nine represent about $275,000 in previously undeclared income.

The agency also says it has begun launching audits of merchants whose names were released by eBay but have not come forward.

High-volume sellers, according to the court order, are those who made at least $20,000 and had 24 sales in one year or who made more than $100,000 in a year, regardless of the number of transactions.

EBay Canada began providing the revenue agency with information and sales records last November.

The move followed a Court of Appeal decision in April 2008 that upheld a Federal Court judgment requiring eBay Canada to provide tax officials with full account information on sellers.

If an individual or business does not comply with Canadian tax laws, they may be forced to pay any outstanding taxes, plus interest, and could face fines and other sanctions.

Taxpayers who came forward under the voluntary disclosures program will not be penalized or prosecuted if they make a full disclosure before the revenue agency starts any audit or compliance action. "
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

50?

FIFTY?

They probably spent a million dollars on the enforcement so far and all they have to show for it is 50 people?

Somebody's going to be looking at a career change.:^O
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Fifty is the number that have come forward to make a settlement - It is not the number that CRA has found.

If one wants to come forward to make a settlement there are lawyers in the Toronto area advertising their services. Anything said to a lawyer is confidential, but anything said to an accountant is not.AI voluntary disclose must be made before CRA starts an audit - once the audit process has started there can be no "easy" disclosure or settlement.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
"The federal agency told CBC News it has processed only nine of the proactive voluntary disclosures and that those nine represent about $275,000 in previously undeclared income."

Personally, I think the above statement is going to fuel them going a lot further. You just know someone at CRA is thinking that if only 9 of the thousands of sellers garnered $275,000 in undeclared income how much more is there to be gained.

They're going to push this a lot further.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"The federal agency told CBC News it has processed only nine of the proactive voluntary disclosures and that those nine represent about $275,000 in previously undeclared income."

Well 275k divided evenly would be about 30k each of "undeclared income" which is likely not the same as "taxable income". Pretty much any seller with 30k gross is going to be owning little if anything in taxes when all is said and done.

I'd hazard a guess that the bulk of any unpaid taxes can be attributed to a tiny number of larger sellers. Relative to all the classic evasion suspects I doubt there is any great windfall to be had by auditing small eBay sellers. Just add them to the pile of contractors, food service workers, consultants, corner store operators etc. etc. etc. not to mention the myriad of GST scams.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Glad I claimed my ebay income.....

Monique

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"Pretty much any seller with 30k gross is going to be owning little if anything in taxes "

It depends.

If the $30,000 is sales netting $10,000 (or whatever) is added to other income, of course there will be subtantial income tax to pay.

On the other hand if $30,000 in sales (netting $10,000 or whatever) represent the only income, then the effect should be negligible.

However when I read "about $275,000 in previously undeclared income" I understand it to mean "income" (not gross sales) of $30,000 per individual. That "business income" is then added to other income (salaries, investment, pension, whatever) to eventually arrive at taxable income.

$30,000 addition to other income should net the governments (federal and provincial) at least $10,000 per taxpayer once you factor the potential added CPP contributions.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Bump!

Has anything come of this? Has anyone been audited or heard of anyone being audited? This is about 2 years old now and I can't find anyone on the internet that has said they are audited or prosecuted?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

As stated earlier, I have been audited (both income tax and GST/HST) for two years.

No problem.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"Has anyone been audited or heard of anyone being audited?"

There have been many posts over the years, including recently, of sellers having been audited or infirmed bt CRA that an audit was coming. Many were not Powersellers

Not all audits originate from information supplied by eBay.  CRA collects a lot of information from many sources: banks, carriers, suppliers, Customs entries, etc...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

Yes I was wondering more specifically if people have been audited due to the information provided by eBay to the CRA, starting in 2004. Obviously standard audits will still happen, but has anyone been audited and prosecuted due to to eBay Probe.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I was in Toronto at a Stamp Show today and can confirm that other eBay sellers (stamp dealers) are currently being audited.

CRA will not advise why an audit is conducted and what information they have or where it comes from until needed.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

"prosecuted"

...that would only happenm if a taxpayer is attempting to defraud the government by under reporting income, whether it is generated on eBay or elsewhere.

I do not think "eBay" sellers are the target.  It is more a blanket audit of home based businesses using online marketing.  eBay happens to be one of the most visible venue.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I doubt that you'll get seller's advertising that their business is being audited on these boards.  I know I wouldn't.  It doesn't mean that a seller has done anything wrong if they're being audited but a lot of assuptions get made on these boards.  It's my understanding that it's fairly common practice that any new business will probably be audited at some point during their first 5 years of operation.

signature
Message 14 of 14
latest reply