Seling Limits?

Rec'd the following message through Turbo Lister:
"Message 1 of 1

Attention Seller:
Thank you for choosing eBay.

In order to help maintain a safe trading environment, selling limits are occasionally placed on listings. At this time, you are limited as to the listing of certain items. Please do not attempt to relist this item for 30 days.

Sellers who have a consistent positive selling history of such items may be eligible to have these limits raised. If you would like eBay to review your limits or if you have any additional questions, please email us at Customer Support.

We sincerely value you as a member of our trading Community and look forward to a continued successful relationship with you.
"

Is this because I got a neg. today? I tried to revise an existing listing, just now...just change the picture...and it would not let me do that, either.
How do I know what "certain items have limits" on them?
Thanks for any help!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Seling Limits?

I've had that happen too. For me it was for GAP clothing. I was also in the middle of a revision when I got that notice.

Supposedly certain brands have a quota of some sort but you'll never actually know what that number is.

I can't remember who I contacted anymore but try T&S. They were pretty quick in responding. After a day or so they lifted the ban and I can list GAP to my hearts content now.

Good luck! I remember how stressed I was. I was right in the middle of a huge listing spree and was stopped dead in my tracks.

Shari
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

Thanks Shari!
I did get a reply from eBay...generic one at that!

I have been listing a bunch of Adidas and Nike NWT items.

The response from eBay is bizarre and very vague to me. They can not tell me the items and the limits. They say to not try and relist the items...but am I allowed to try other "brands"? And do I just try them and wait and see if I get stopped? I don't want to cause trouble. I have increased my items that I sell so I can understand that I might have triggered something in their system...but you would think they would contact first and let me know that there is limits! I'm just glad that I got most of my items on.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

bare_bright
Community Member
I don't think the system is doing any forecasting on limits etc.

I would think you would need to hit the limit for the Computer to trigger a flag.

we tend to forget many times that we are dealing with a computer not a human until something major happens

Just my thoughts 🙂
T.J.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

High profile branded items that are subject to excessive cloning and counterfeiting are limited by volume per seller.

Expect to see more holds on these items as eBay has been ruled against in a court case where they claimed ignorance. The judges reply was "You certainly are".

Additional suites are likely as a result of eBay being found liable, but don't think that means you'll get your money back for a counterfeit you've bought.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

Update:

Seems eBay can not tell me which of my different brands is limited. I am just supposed to list and if I get the warning...then I know that I can not list that brand for THIRTY days. I was allowed to revise one of my limited items...so the "ban" is lifted on that one brand!

Seems like they think I have nothing better to do than waste my time trying to figure out what is limited! They said if they tell the brand and limits then this allows the counterfeiters a way to figure out how to beat the system. So they punish me, too!
All my items require a new listing...so I am not really going to be listing too much over the next few weeks. Got better things to do.
I was trying to increase my business, by listing more and just get shot down. I know my items are not counterfeit as I bought them directly from a "MAJOR" retail store! Tags are still on! Doesn't seem right.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi bcbeautiful,

Have you considered having an eBay store? It may possibly solve some of your problems with the number of items you may list each week/month.

Listings are Good Till Cancelled (GTC) and you can add to the inventory before you run out of the item which means....no limits there. This may leave you the spare room that you need to list your other items and give you the opportunity to increase your line.

It's a thought!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

Hi Susan,
I have thought about the store. I rarely have any of the same items to list, though, if that is what you mean. Lat week just happened to stumble on some of the same items, all NWT. I'm pretty sure that is what triggered my problem. Suddenly I up my items and have a lot of NWT, so I look like I'm up to something.
I would have thought that because I have been selling for many years and have been increasing consistently, that I would not look like a counterfeiter. I have been suspicious of several sellers, with items like mine, but they are usually all NWT and start their listings cheap, with inflated shipping, and are new sellers. Majority of my listings are USED. And always will be...
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi bcbeautiful,

Yes, I agree with you that since you have been selling on eBay for 6 years that you would not look like a counterfeiter. Sadly, those that are make it bad for all sellers as eBay *over compensates* to protect buyers.

You're right in your thinking that you're on the right track without having a store since you do not have many repeat listings.

Hopefully, you'll be able to list a little more each week so that you'll increase your activity enough for the busy selling months ahead.

Best wishes!
Susan
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

bcbeautiful

I don't believe there would be any difference if you opened an eBay store, but you might want to ask eBay to make sure as that could work for you despite having different items.

Store items are cheap to list, but you pay a high FVF, and there is a monthly charge for havng the store ($16.00 ?)

Your problem with the store option, will be driving buyers to the store because your items aren't in the normal searchable queue, so buyers won't find them unless they are listed as auction also, which makes it all moot for most sellers of low volume.

All that being said, if you can justify the $200.oo per annum minimum enrollment, it's probably worth doing a full fledged cost analysis, if only to figure out when the numbers will work in your favour, if at all....

With regard to counterfiets, the seller's history doesn't really gaurantee anything. Many a seller has ended up with counterfiet goods to resell due to less than adequate due diligence, often driven by eBay's efforts to push sellers to keep listing more stuff to retain their PS status. There are also several other schemes to defraud buyers which are based on a seller's account that has good ratings and a long history.

The real dirty part about all this is that you are still on the hook for the listing fees, are you not, or were they reversed ?
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

My listings were not cancelled...When I went to list from Turbo Lister, they just would not upload and then the above mentioned error showed up. Then later, when I went to revise a listing that had a spelling error in the title, the same error popped up, when I tried to submit the revision.
So no lost fees..
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Seling Limits?

That's 1 for bcbeautiful:-p
Message 12 of 12
latest reply