Seller "cancelling" bids as a way to avoid selling at a low price.

This is the second time this has happened with the same seller, and I'm really frustrated.

Basically, this seller sets a low opening bid, and no reserve.

So far so good!

But then right before the auction ends, if the price hasn't been bid up high enough for him, he just cancels the bids and declares that the item is no longer available.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261136875366

What should I do? Is he actually violating eBay policy? (he must be, because he's essentially avoiding their higher fees for reserve price auctions, and probably breaking some additional rules, I would guess)

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If they relist it, report them. That's my advice.

I believe they are violating some sort of policy, but I'm not really inclined to go hunt it down myself.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If the seller cancelled it, it's because it's allowed within the rules and guidelines of ebay.

seller has 99.2% positive feedback, 

All of the cancelled items had 0 bids on them. 

Nothing to see here. 

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras, and definitely not unicorns.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

All of the cancelled items had 0 bids on them. 

Nothing to see here. 

If you click on the bid history of many of these 0 bid items you will see that the seller has cancelled the bids so that is why it shows as 0 bids.

Under ebays new policy when a seller does this he is charged a final value fee on the highest bid that he has cancelled.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Under ebays new policy when a seller does this he is charged a final value fee on the highest bid that he has cancelled.

That seller is in the UK. I don't think that they have that rule yet.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you click on the bid history of many of these 0 bid items you will see that the seller has cancelled the bids so that is why it shows as 0 bids.

I never noticed that. My bad.

Still a seller is not required to sell at any price or at any time.

Under various conditions:

They are able to cancel without penalty

Cancel and pay fees

Cancel and face selling restrictions or be banned from selling

If they are losing money, let them cancel. You will still get good deals from them. If they were shill bidding I'd say report them, but it looks like they are trying to minimize losses. If somehow you got them banned, then the opportunity would disappear entirely.

I would suggest contacting them and offering a price (all through ebay ya crazy mods). Especially if there is not the demand they thought they will be willing to negotiate.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Still a seller is not required to sell at any price or at any time.

If a seller knows they are going to refuse to sell an item if they receive low bids then they should either start their item at the price they are willing to take or put on a reserve. The buyer bids on that item in good faith...they assume the seller is going to sell that item to the highest bidder. It isn't fair to any of the bidders if the seller thinks the price isn't high enough so relists the item. Sellers who do that just give buyers a bad impression of ebay and of all ebay sellers in general.

If they are losing money, let them cancel. You will still get good deals from them

Well....sellers that do that on a regular basis are dishonest imo. I wouldn't want to deal with them at all.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Had that happen to me at the end of October.

Seller had an Auction Listing at a very low starting price, i won the item as i was the only bidder. Great shirt, just under 10.00 including shipping.

Paid immediately, seller never returned messages regarding the status of the shipment. Had to file a INR with Paypal, they still did not respond to the INR, escalated the claim & i was refunded.

Left them a well deserved Neg & then they had the hair to send me a Feedback Revision Request.

First time they had ever responded. Their request was denied.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply