Sellers Right To View Buyer's Purchases...

Hi Everyone...

Just wanted to give my two cents worth regarding sellers not not being able to view a buyer's purchase history.

I do not agree with the decision to remove the option to view what a seller has sold or what a buyer has purchased for the simple fact that when I notice that a buyer has left negative FB for a seller in my “saved sellers”, I take it a step further and see if this buyer is in the habit of leaving negative FB. If this is the case, I will block this particular seller; perhaps an excercise in futility yet one uncoroperative buyer in the block list.

Secondly, if a buyer makes an offer for one of my items, an item in which I do not have “best offer” as an option and buyer’s offer is much lower than my asking price (I often will consider lowering the price IF the offer is not an insult), I will check to see buyers purchase history to see how much they’ve paid for similar items. By doing so, I have proven to myself these particular buyers are simply sneaky and untruthful when their recent past purchash history proves otherwise.

Sadly eBay has completely lost ALL consideration for their sellers.

Happy Evening!

Lorraine

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I take it a step further and see if this buyer is in the habit of leaving negative FB. If this is the case, I will block this particular seller;

I'd guess that is exactly why this was instituted, thousands of buyers ending up on BBL's because they left a couple of negs out of dozens or hundreds of problem free transactions.

If buyers who leave negs bother you well you can still see if they are in the habit of leaving negs. I just don't think that leaving a few out of many indicates anything. It's pretty clear there are a lot of very lame sellers operating on eBay.

If I was a buyer and found myself blocked by a seller I'd never dealt with simply because I jhad to neg one or two poor quality sellers I'd be pretty annoyed and I might not ever return to eBay.

That's not good for eBay and it's not good for sellers, it's my opinion that too many sellers are far to quick to sanction buyers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Personally I think it's about time. What we purchase should be private. Does someone really need to know what I bought my family for christmas or the size of my bra.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@nan*55 wrote:

Personally I think it's about time. What we purchase should be private. Does someone really need to know what I bought my family for christmas or the size of my bra.

I agree but the policy change didn't need to happen to cover that, Private Feedback has been available to buyers for a decade or more. Of course some sellers will block buyers with private feedback if they get the chance.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The root of the problem is the FB system in general. Because sellers can be financially penalized by neg FB, often times undeserved, or for petty reasons, then sellers must use the tools at hand to try and mitigate that issue. Experienced sellers get a good handle on someone and if they feel they should be blocked, then block. Looking at buying history and feedback left is the best way to determine if they are a good buyer or not. I do believe though that it's no one's business what I buy. What's the solution? Get rid of the penalties for poor feedback. Leave the incentives (ie. 20% discount) to be lost for poor FB, but don't ban sellers, unless they are openly fraudulent. It's ridiculous that you can be banned from ebay selling hundreds of items per month for as little as 4 or 5 negative FB's. Let buyers buy and sellers sell. Aren't we all grown ups?
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I have a predelection for Scooby Doo jammies. The world doews not need to know that.

So, ahem, Nan? What is yer bra size seeing as you brought up the subject?

Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I have a predelection for Scooby Doo jammies. The world doews not need to know that.

Well, now a lot of us do. Smiley Happy 

Hmmm...was that jammies on yourself, or on les femmes?   Woman Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I, I, I ....... sputter sputtr.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

An ebay seller has no more right to know what a buyer purchased on ebay than what the same buyer purchsed at Walmart.

What the buyer purchsed elsewhere simply does not conccern the seller.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone...hope y'all had a great Halloween! I would like to amend my original comment regarding viewing 'buyers purchases'. The point I was attempting to make was meant to be focused on viewing buyer's FB left for sellers, not what they have purchased. I believe most sellers are more than willing to work out a problem if given the opportunity. Even though the 'privacy' setting for buyer/seller has been an option for years, I agree, no one has a right to see what our purchases. I apologize for my poorly explained statement. I think Froogal_Electronics explained it best...thanks for that! My apology for any ire I may have caused. Happy Evening 🙂 Lorraine
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@nuvistors wrote:

An ebay seller has no more right to know what a buyer purchased on ebay than what the same buyer purchsed at Walmart.

What the buyer purchsed elsewhere simply does not conccern the seller.

Except that eBay was founded on the basis that it wanted this site to be an "open" marketplace, and the original reason for the visiblity/transparency was not to make snooping an eBay hobby, but to keep buyers and sellers from hiding unwanted activity, allow both to be openly informed about the others' history on eBay, and, incidentally, to permit what I call "cross-pollination" marketing.  Before this change, buyers were able to spontaneously browse through linked information on items or sellers they might never have otherwise found.  That chain-link effect is now effectively ended. 

The concept of a fully transparent marketplace was a noble one, but the practical issues that were caused, both for buyers and sellers, led first to eBay making private listings available, and now to this.  I don't think this change is a positive one overall, because it does make the site less safe in other ways.  I think I'd rather have someone looking at what I've purchased than have unpublished activity going on in the background. 

In any case, in my opinion it's probably all leading to a complete change in the way transactions are displayed, and this is just a transitional step.  I wouldn't be surprised to see all transaction details taken out of the open within a year or two. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply