Signature Confirmation

I should know this, but I just can't remember. I saw a thread recently, but I can't find it.

At what amount of dollars does PayPal require signature confirmation?

Is is $325 or $350 USD?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Signature Confirmation

Signature confirmation is required if the total is

$325 ... Canadian dollars... including shipping

This number differs among countries, and the currency of that country.

The dollar value for a country does not appear to have a relation based on exchange rates among countries...  Maybe historically, but not today

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

I thought it was $250. However, they do not "require" signature confirmation for shipping. It is only required in the event of a dispute, aka, "Did you use signature confirmation?".

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Okay, then the $250 is the American number. Go with Cumo "The Sniper" answer.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Thanks fellas - I'm going with $325 CND.

The reason I'm asking is: I have a few items listed and about to list, at the $300 mark and the Signature Required drives the shipping up to $60 from $30. So I figure it is better to list at about $290 and have flat rate shipping at $30 and just let them go Expedited. That way I can hold the price of the shipping down and attract more buyers.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Signature confirmation is required if the total is

$325 ... Canadian dollars... including shipping

This number differs among countries, and the currency of that country.

The dollar value for a country does not appear to have a relation based on exchange rates among countries...  Maybe historically, but not today

Cumos have you ever talked to Paypal about this or gotten any type of information about whether or not there are requirements regarding when the Canadian dollar amount comes into effect or/and when the U.S. dollar amount is used?

I realize that those amounts are written in the Paypal user agreement but I have always wondered if the $325 was valid only if you listed on .ca and in Canadian dollars. Or..perhaps the only requirement is that you list on .ca or just that you are Canadian? 

If I listed and then sold an item on .com and in $U.S I suspect that in the case of an INR,  Paypal would require sig confirmation after US$250 even if the equivalent Cdn dollar amount was less than $325.

It would be nice to know for sure exactly how it works..:)

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Ross, yer not exactly in a high fraud category. I would think insurance would be a larger concern for you.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Ross, yer not exactly in a high fraud category. I would think insurance would be a larger concern for you.

Everything i ship gets full insurance - but I don't want someone who bought a high priced item to claim it was not received even if the tracking number shows that it was. It is my understanding that Signature Confirmation will solve that problem on the side of the seller. Cause I figure if the tracking number says it was delivered - Canada Post may not cough up the insurance.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

aqyera
Community Member

I always went with 250, but have no real INR case to test the value on.

Btw.when I spotted this thread, in first two seconds I was expecting "Signature confirmation walks into a bar ..."

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

"I was expecting "Signature confirmation walks into a bar ...""

🙂

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Bartender says "What' yer name?"

SC "Siggy".

BT "Can you confirm that with photo ID?"

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

aqyera
Community Member

Three parcels with Signature Confirmation walk into a bar ...

UPS parcel immediately signs itself and jumps on the shelf

Fedex parcel starts chatting with patrons but after few hours stands in line, gets signed by bartender and jumps on the shelf.

CanadaPost parcel gets wasted and is discovered at the end of the shift by a cleaner sleeping in the corner.

"Why did not you get delivered?" cleaner asks

"Nobody was home"

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

FDPMSL

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

Went to the Paypal site...and viewed the information as a person living in Canada...

"Signature Confirmation" is online documentation that can be viewed at the shipping company’s website and indicates that the item was signed for on delivery.

Signature Confirmation as described below if the full amount of the payment, including shipping and taxes, is $325 CAD, or its  foreign currency equivalent provided below

The foreign equivalent in US dollars is $250

The relationship between US and Canadian dollars is based on an historical  ratio

$325/$250 = 1.30

and goes back to a time when the exchange rate was $1.30 US = $1.00 Canadian

The interpretation gets touchy.

IOne might then assume that

if you list in Canadian dollars...  the value is $325

If you list in US dollars  the value is $250...

By definition according to Paypal...

The foreign equivalent to $325 Canadian dollars is $250 US dollars

and most likely based on historical as opposed to "real time"  or today's value.....

All of my listings are in US dollars... making my value as $250 US for signature confirmation...  I list on eBay.ca...

Anyone who lists in Canadian dollars...the value for a signature confirmation is $325

Based on a foreign eqivalency of $325 CDN = $250 US

To be on the safe side I would use $250 US equal to $250 Canadian based on today's exchange rate....very much subject to interpretation.... 

Even with a clarification  the relationship between US and CDN dollars, as defined by Paypal   will always be subject to interpretation....

A truly muddy relationship

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

That is bizarre. As opposed to bazaar, which is usually held in a church basement.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

My personal situation

I list in US dollars... and ... in US dollars my signature confirmation value is $250...

---------------------------------

What if I listed on eBay.ca in Canadian dollars?

Everything would be subject to interpretation....One may conclude.... $325

But to be on the safe side I would use $250 Canadian dollars because of today's exchange rate... 

One could argue $325, but why fight today's exchange rate. 

Considering that the relationship between eBay.ca and eBay.com is unique on eBay...

We need an official statement in Paypal's agreement....

to confirm the relationship between Canadian and US dollars

and $325 CDN and $250 US

and for Canadian sellers who  sell 100 % in US or 100 % Canadian dollars...

and some sellers who may have some listings in CDN  dollars and some in US dollars

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

The saying becomes..

Paypal we have a problem... and ... eBay  we have a problem

Next Wednesday at noon, .... a question or a comment for the powers that be...

The interpretation by  eBay  must be the same as that for Paypal.....  with the Resolution process for Item not received...

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

I go back to the days when eBay had a Vancouver office and a Toronto office, Both staffed. How many are we down to in Toronto? Maybe just an answering machine?

Even then, I could get two polar opposite answers from Vancouver and Toronto. These people knew each other and still gave opposite answers. Heck, back then, we even had our own VP of, I forget the phrase, "something" market.

Back then they insisted they were working with CP to integrate mailing channels. They insisted there would be a PayPal Canada. I am talking face to face meetings where their mouth was a metre from my ears.

To eBay, we are a North Dakota.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Signature Confirmation

The saying becomes..

Paypal we have a problem... and ... eBay  we have a problem

Next Wednesday at noon, .... a question or a comment for the powers that be...

The interpretation by  eBay  must be the same as that for PayPal.....  with the Resolution process for Item not received...

I already asked in last Wednesday 13 march session about the PayPal $325/$250 equivalency issue and eBay pinks said to ask PayPal ...

Here is the link to last week's session, read my post 23 and eBay response post 27.

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Weekly-Board-Hour/March-13th-Weekly/3000008809

I have sent an email to PayPal support about this issue and am waiting to see what their response will be.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply