Strange purchases

I run 4 eBay sites. All jerseys. Different types of jerseys so I find it better to put them in separate sites.

I had a customer buy a jersey from me , which of course is great. That same day the same buyer bought another jersey from a different account. Still, I find it a coincidence , but OK.

Then a couple of days later the buyer buys another jersey from again another account , but this time the buyer purchased using a brand new account and a different name.

Now this is odd. Why use a different name and new account. Just a little nervous about this one. That old gut feeling , something isnt right. The buyer has paid. The address is confirmed. Anyone have thoughts or experienced anything like this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Strange purchases

xeposter
Community Member

@jersey..authentix wrote:

I run 4 eBay sites. All jerseys. Different types of jerseys so I find it better to put them in separate sites.

I had a customer buy a jersey from me , which of course is great. That same day the same buyer bought another jersey from a different account. Still, I find it a coincidence , but OK.

Then a couple of days later the buyer buys another jersey from again another account , but this time the buyer purchased using a brand new account and a different name.

Now this is odd. Why use a different name and new account. Just a little nervous about this one. That old gut feeling , something isnt right. The buyer has paid. The address is confirmed. Anyone have thoughts or experienced anything like this?

Alright...

I like to buy these little Hot Wheels cars on eBay.

Here are two sellers selling some cars I really would like to buy:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hot-Wheels-1974-Road-King-/191850661412

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HOT-WHEELS-REDLINE-1973-MATTEL-YELLOW-SEMI-TRUCK-ROAD-KING-5115-/222075452875

Now...who knows? They could be the same person with 2 different accounts (although it is not likely), right?

If the same person comes along and buys both of them, would you think it strange?

It could be the same with you. You sell jerseys on both accounts. Some body who likes jerseys bought both not knowing that you have 2-4 accounts.

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member
I run into this occasionally, as some buyers have a couple of accounts. The other possibility is they've used the guest account for checkout, although normally the formatting is somewhat similar for the auto generated user names and you likely would have noticed/remarked on that. Unless they are trying to circumvent a block I don't put as much thought into it and just make sure I use tracking/sig confirmation as necessary.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Your jerseys are bulky enough that you would be using Parcel services, and I believe all of those are Delivery Confirmed.

If you are using a service that isn't, it might be a comfort to upgrade to Delivery Confirmation.

And/or

You're not making any secret that you sell with different accounts, so why not contact the buyer and ask if she would like to recieve all three together at a discounted postal rate?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I am fine with the same person buying from all my accounts. Its when that person opens a new account under a different name on the same day they make a purchase. Why not just purchase the 3rd jersey using the same account? Why did that person have to open another account to purchase the 3rd. Thats what I find odd.

Do I call and ask why did you open a new account to make this purchase? I use tracking so I will get delivery confirmation and I think I will add a signature to it as well. Im just worried it could be a credit card charge back. 

With so many scams these days, you just never know when one is about to bite you.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No idea why the buyer did that but I would just mail the items as usual. Unless you are sending packages worth more than C$850 there is no point in adding a signature. If you are worried about an unauthorized use chargeback a signature won't be needed...you just need to show proof of shipment.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Lots of eBayers have more than 1 account.  They may want to build up feedback because they plan to begin selling here.  They may just love jerseys and don't pay much attention to which account they have signed in on to buy.

How do you know that the third purchase is the same buyer using a different name?  Perhaps it is another person living in the same household.  Perhaps the initial buyer showed him/her the 2 jerseys purchased, and the second person loved them so much that they had to have one for themselves - that would be nice!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I had that happen to me before too. Two roommates in the same household bought separately from me one after another (within hours) in separate emails (it was back on my own website where buyers email me to make purchase). I just asked them if I could ship together and save them a few bucks, which I did.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply