US Shipping Prices to Canada - Really that Much?

I buy mostly sports cards on ebay. Single hockey cards, baseball, football. Sometimes "graded" cards in a thin plastic holder.

So, these cards are very light weight, not much more than a piece of paper. I live in Canada, but most of the good sellers for cards are in the US. Lately the prices for what sellers are charging for shipping is crazy: $7, some ask $14. They say US Postal Service has raised their prices. But can it really cost this much to send an envelope to Canada? The shipping prices charged by sellers has really put me out of the market for their items.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: US Shipping Prices to Canada - Really that Much?

While postage prices have increased, what you may be seeing is the emotional need for some sellers to have tracking and insurance on the items they send.

Ask your seller about the cost of shipping BEFORE bidding. Many do not know that First Class International service is now trackable in Canada.

Ask about shipping discounts on multiple purchases.

And if your purchases are priced below $50 US, inform the seller politely that eBay does not recommend using the Global Shipping Program on low value items.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: US Shipping Prices to Canada - Really that Much?

A canny seller will simply send these items as an air letter for around a dollar, no customs, no tracking, no fuss.

The canny seller will keep  as much as possible of the total amount the buyer is willing to pay, in their own pocket.

The innumerate seller will charge $5 to avoid the chance of losing $1, which is obviously irrational, but distressingly common.

You just need to find the sensible sellers. They are more likely to be better sellers in all other respects as well.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply