What happens to my items if I cancel my store subscription.

So I want to close my store. Something I should have done months ago as I started to list less and and less but just got lazy. Do I have to cancel all of my GTC listings that are in the store or do the listings just simply remain but of course no longer reside in my store as it will not exist? This may be a very silly or basic questions but I have had a store for many years and don't know how things work outside of it anymore.

I will miss a few store options like vacations settings etc. but the fees and my lack of desire to continue listing as much as I did before, makes it not worthwhile anymore. The 50 free will work for me for now.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: What happens to my items if I cancel my store subscription.

Your listings remain active whether you have a store or not.

Those Good Till Cancelled (GTC) listings will be renewed automatically.

However the FVF will go up as you will no longer be eligible to the lower FVF associated with having a store.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Do you have store with a yearly contract? If you cancel the store, you normally have a penalty for early termination of the contract which can be a large amount compared to the monthly fee.  However, since new store fees were implemented in May, a seller can cancel their store without penalty until June 4th or 5th depending on which site you have the store on.

The store is billed a month in advance and will end only at the end of the month or the 15th depending on your Bay billing period. So I would suggest ending the store now so as to take advantage of the no penalty. You pay for the full billing period and there is no prorated cancellation of store fees.

If you have a monthly store fee with no contract, then you can cancel anytime with no penalty.

When the store is cancelled, you still have the benefits of the store until it ends at the end of the current month. When it ends, the GTC listings should renew as non-store without any effort on your part.

However, I see that you are listing in USD you also have the issue of having to convert your listings to CAD by June 14th (or 17th?, do not remember the exact date) for non-gtc listings and August for GTC listings.

Your listings can continue in USD as non-store but there might be a timing issue. All listings that renew as non-store before the USD deadline of June 14/17 should be okay and relist. Those after June 14/17 may not because they went non-store and this might trigger non-renewal early for GTC that should go until August. Hard to tell how eBay Canada will handle a store cancellation in the midst of the USD change.

I would suggest just cancelling the store now and let the listings run and see what happens in June. If they all continue running in USD until August and end at their GTC 30 day renewal day of the month of August, they will then go into unsold and you can convert them all manually to CAD. The migration tool is glitchy that I would avoid using it and I would do the 50 listings manually.

You mention going non-store to get the free 50 but you get 50 free on eBay.ca Canada site and 50 free on eBay.com USA site for a total of 100 free listings per month. You can list on either site but listing on eBay.com is has no Canada Post shipping options so you must use eBay generic shipping options in the listings. This has been discussed in these forums a few times so if interested, read about it or ask when you may want to do this.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks so much for the answers. One more question. What if I decide to just end all of my listing and close my store for a period. How long and I allowed to stay "inactive" as a seller before they treat me as a "new" seller upon return, and start putting the 21 day holds on payments etc. like they do for new sellers?

Am I forever Grandfathered because I have sold before or will I eventually have that selling history and experience removed from my account and be treated as new if I were to return to selling?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I can't say for sure but I listed some things last week on one of my rarely used selling id's (last time I listed on that id was June 2015). No issues, no changes to my limits on that account.

On this id I have taken several 2 - 3 month breaks over the past couple of years....also no issues of any kind.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Thanks so much for the answers. One more question. What if I decide to just end all of my listing and close my store for a period. How long and I allowed to stay "inactive" as a seller before they treat me as a "new" seller upon return, and start putting the 21 day holds on payments etc. like they do for new sellers?

Am I forever Grandfathered because I have sold before or will I eventually have that selling history and experience removed from my account and be treated as new if I were to return to selling?

I do not know how ebay handles this.

On this ebay id that I have been selling since 2009 (id was made in 2003), I have slowed down listing and selling for a couple of years now and I do not have 21 day hold. I expect the hold one day because I do not meet the requirements that new sellers have to go through to get rid of the hold.

I have read posts in these forums where sellers with old eBay ids who have been away for a longer period (years not months or weeks) and not selling at all having the hold when they did not before.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Do you have store with a yearly contract? If you cancel the store, you normally have a penalty for early termination of the contract which can be a large amount compared to the monthly fee.  However, since new store fees were implemented in May, a seller can cancel their store without penalty until June 4th or 5th depending on which site you have the store on.

The store is billed a month in advance and will end only at the end of the month or the 15th depending on your Bay billing period. So I would suggest ending the store now so as to take advantage of the no penalty. You pay for the full billing period and there is no prorated cancellation of store fees.

If you have a monthly store fee with no contract, then you can cancel anytime with no penalty.

When the store is cancelled, you still have the benefits of the store until it ends at the end of the current month. When it ends, the GTC listings should renew as non-store without any effort on your part.

However, I see that you are listing in USD you also have the issue of having to convert your listings to CAD by June 14th (or 17th?, do not remember the exact date) for non-gtc listings and August for GTC listings.

Your listings can continue in USD as non-store but there might be a timing issue. All listings that renew as non-store before the USD deadline of June 14/17 should be okay and relist. Those after June 14/17 may not because they went non-store and this might trigger non-renewal early for GTC that should go until August. Hard to tell how eBay Canada will handle a store cancellation in the midst of the USD change.

I would suggest just cancelling the store now and let the listings run and see what happens in June. If they all continue running in USD until August and end at their GTC 30 day renewal day of the month of August, they will then go into unsold and you can convert them all manually to CAD. The migration tool is glitchy that I would avoid using it and I would do the 50 listings manually.

You mention going non-store to get the free 50 but you get 50 free on eBay.ca Canada site and 50 free on eBay.com USA site for a total of 100 free listings per month. You can list on either site but listing on eBay.com is has no Canada Post shipping options so you must use eBay generic shipping options in the listings. This has been discussed in these forums a few times so if interested, read about it or ask when you may want to do this.

The date is June 14 when listings will not be allowed in USD. This is for non-gtc listings.

August 2 was mentioned in the eBay weekly session as the date when USD GTC will no longer relist automatically when their 30 day relist date comes up. Remember that USD GTC listings will run in August until their 30 days is up before relisting. So a listing that relists automatically on say July 30 will run it full 30 days in August in USD until the relist date of August 29 when it will not relist and it will end and go into UnSold.

My understanding of how the GTC for USD listings will relist after June 14th.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

What if I decide to just end all of my listing and close my store for a period.

While you have the Store you can put it 'on vacation'.

You can choose whether or not to have the item visible, which always struck me a silly. If you can't sell it, why show it?

When a Store is 'on vacation' you are still paying the monthly store 'rent' and the usual listing fees.

When you return to the account, you can re-open the store with one click.

The longest I have done this is one month.

Without a Store when you end your listings they go into your Unsold List for at least 60 and possibly 90 days.

I think the longer period is for sellers who have Selling Manager Pro enabled.

And the period is to the second. So if it's getting close, reopen or the listing is gone forever.

You can re-open the listings in bulk from your Unsold List.

How long and I allowed to stay "inactive" as a seller before they treat me as a "new" seller upon return, and start putting the 21 day holds on payments etc. like they do for new sellers?

I've re-opened two accounts that were dormant for over two years, one for over five.

The 21 day Hold lasted for about ninety days, but I believe the number, value, and category of the listings comes into this.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply