What is up with these import fees on used items?

I was very interested in some bose speakers and the price $375

$52.93 International Priority Shipping to Canada (reasonable)

Import charges:$51.02 (unreasonable)
Total=478.95

As long as ebay is putting the shaft up Canadians you know whats I will no longer be buying from anyone who uses  the
Global Delivery Program , I will find my items elsewhere and won't even mind paying a little extra just to avoid buying from E-bay.So much for my money going to help the American economy,seems typical though of big business.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Canada charges sales taxes on used items just like on new items.

You pay GST on a used car for example.

Duty and tax is charged on any purchased import over $20. (Gifts are charged if valued over $60).

Canada Post has a minmum $10 service fee for negotiating the border

UPS and other couriers charge $20-25 minimum

The Global Shipping Program (Pitney Bowes) charges $4.95 minimum

It is not worthwhile for a buyer to purchase if the item is under $100 value and the seller uses the Global Shipping Program or a courier. These items should always go by USPS/Canada Post

BUT

One reason for the saving is that Canada Post is quite lax about charging the fees they are allowed to charge and those they are supposed to collect. Which does wonders for the national debt.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I sold 20+ yrs old CD player to buyer in Canada for less than $120 and these scumbags added $70 duty fees and taxes which is 65% of the value. That is outrageous, even the worst crook fee is lower than this. I will never ship anything to Canada.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Was the majority of the import charges just taxes (GST/PST or HST)?  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

dandan1960
Community Member
im all in totally agree along with our dollar xchng on shipping as well a sort of extortion
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them may be out of date or innaccurate.

@happy_pigeon

In the original posting, the imported speakers may have been used, but they were still subject to the ~$5 service fee and to Sales Tax.

BTW, CBSA includes shipping costs in the value of the item to reckon duty and Sales Tax.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply