What protection does a buyer(bidder) have if seller has committed shill bidding to artificially inflate the price of the item. After paying

barrypilon1234
Community Member

This has recently happened to myself and a number of other bidders. One who emailed me to give me the heads up. Had the same thing happen and when reported to Ebay I was told yes it appears to be connected and all they will do is restrict the sellers account.  No Ebay action to protect the buyer or have the seller repay the moneys that the shill bidding cost me extra.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What protection does a buyer(bidder) have if seller has committed shill bidding to artificially inflate the price of the item. After paying

leb17
Community Member

EBay has said they are keeping an eye on the suspected seller. He may be gone the next time you look for him.

However, since you placed the bid, you are deemed to have been happy enough with that price, before you suspected that there might have been an attempt to push the price higher.

For example.

Say you bid $25 on an item with an opening bid of $10. The bid opens to you at $10.

A shill bid comes in for $30 and is retracted. The shiller now knows your high bid is $25. He bids $24 and you win at your full bid of $25. (A shiller never wants to win, he wants you to pay as much as possible when you win.)

But you placed the $25 bid, no one forced you to. You could have bid only $10 if that was all you wanted to pay.

If a real bid had come along for $24, you would have paid the $25 you did. If a real bid had come along for $30, that bidder would have won at $26 and you would have lost by a dollar.

So really, you are not hurt by the shilling, although it is definitely a bad thing. You just won at the top of your budget.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply