Why am I getting a "buyer is not accepting bids from you at this time" when the seller says they do

Why am I getting a "buyer is not accepting bid from you at this time" when the seller says they are accepting my bids and have no restrictions on me. Sometimes I have already made a few bids on the item and get this message when placing s further bid. My feedback is 100% and account is in good standing.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Why am I getting a "buyer is not accepting bids from...

xeposter
Community Member

@seamstobeca wrote:

Why am I getting a "buyer is not accepting bid from you at this time" when the seller says they are accepting my bids and have no restrictions on me. Sometimes I have already made a few bids on the item and get this message when placing s further bid. My feedback is 100% and account is in good standing.

Hello. Has the seller set requirements? If you don't qualify for the requirements, it would not let you bid:

----

Buyer requirements
Block buyers who:
  • Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item strike(s) within 12 month(s)
  • Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
  • Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1

----

All sellers may have something different, but this is what I have...

Sometimes, when you have bid on many many many items in a recent period of time, it would also block you.

Hope this helps you.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hello 'seamstobeca',

<<Why am I getting a "buyer is not accepting bid from you at this time" when the seller says they are accepting my bids and have no restrictions on me. >>

Usually when there is an obstacle in place the bidder gets a dialogue box saying what the block is. Very often it is because the seller does not ship to Canada.  Have you checked to ensure your seller ships here?

Then there are all the reasons that Alex posted, but again, you should be told in a dialogue box.

Is the seller on vacation?  It would be very foolish to put up a listing and then leave, but I find a substantial number of sellers do this.  Maybe they are not "on vacation" but simply do not want to answer questions about the item.  I take that as a sign to find another seller, but that's just me. 

But you have managed to contact the seller, is that right?  She assured you that your are not on her Blocked List for any reason?  

<<Sometimes I have already made a few bids on the item and get this message when placing s further bid.>>

Just out of curiosity, why are you placing so many bids?  By all means, do that if you want, but I would think the wisest thing to do would be to bid as much as you are willing to pay (including any shipping and import charges) and do so once -- as late as possible.  Most people find that to be the best way to actually win the auction, at any rate.  

If all is well between you and the seller, have you asked her if she would add you to her list of exemptions?  Adding a member to an exemption list enables that member to bypass any blocks that are otherwise in place.  You can send her this link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html#exemption

Otherwise that is all I can think of at the moment, apart from what Alex suggested.  

If you still haven't found the solution, can you offer more details?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the link for list of exceptions as my sellers do not seem to be aware of this. Why would I be able to make bids and then later get this message on further bids. As to why so many bids; well doing as you suggested encourages other bidders to up your bid early as well. I am more concerned with getting the lowest possible price than winning and would rather keep the bid low until the last minute. Sorry if that annoys the sellers which I know it probably would.
But as to the mystery at hand; if I am on a buyers restricted list how am I able to make any bids at all. This should be a concern for sellers as at the last minute when I am going to raise my bid I get that message and can not bid higher. It is a mystery to me and my perplexed sellers. All comments and anybody with this same issue much appreciated. Thanks
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

<<Thank you for the link for list of exceptions as my sellers do not seem to be aware of this. Why would I be able to make bids and then later get this message on further bids. >>

Thank you, 'seamstobe', for the clarification.  I don't know why that would be unless it was some weird ebay glitch.  Those happen in just about everything.  All you can do when the Great Ebay Computer prevents something is come back a little later and try again, or go to the American ebay who may not be having the same problem at the same time.

Or worse, all those mini bids unsettled the seller and the blocked you, or have an auto-block on an excessive number of bids.  But that would be too stupid to contemplate so that can't be it.  But see this link here, where sellers can block people who, 

Are currently winning or have bought a large number of your items in the last 10 days

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#set

<< if I am on a buyers restricted list how am I able to make any bids at all.>>

Yes, that does seem odd, unless the multi-bid thing pushed you over their autoblocks.  Or else they added you to their naughty list after at some point, but that makes no sense so I highly doubt it.  

For now I'd say try to sweetly get them to add you to their list of exemptions:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html#exemption

I wish you all the best.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much for your suggestions. My sellers do ship to Canada but going the US site is worth a try. I wonder why a seller would block a person who buys many of their items? If selller is unsettled by mini bids they should not be using the auction method because that is what an auction is about, mini bids imo. In any case, no reason is given in the cases I am questioning, though Î have seen notices about limiting the number of items allowed to be bid on. Why would the seller tell me there is no restrictions when my bid is blocked? Sellers are losing the higher bid I may make and they are not happy about that supposedly? I wonder if they just do not want to tell me?? I will check out the link about managing buyers. All your comments are insightful and much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Have you placed bids on their items before? If there were any problems with the and the seller the first time, they may have blocked you.
Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

<<My sellers do ship to Canada but going the US site is worth a try. I wonder why a seller would block a person who buys many of their items? >>

Hello again, 'seamstobe',  

When one is a normal user and simply wants to bid and buy items it is hard to fathom that there is any other sort of person.  Laughably odd as it is, there really are people on the earth who would have a disagreement with a seller and then win all 500 of her auctions but pay for none of them.  

So if a seller has ever had a person buy too many items and not pay, that may cause her to put up an auto-block. 

<<Why would the seller tell me there is no restrictions when my bid is blocked?>>

She may not know.  Without seeing which sellers and what items I can only offer guesses, but if a seller puts up autoblocks on her listings, over time she may have long since forgot what all of them are.  

She may not want an unknown, or an unregistered user with zero feedback buying a huge amount of stock until she is sure the person will pay her.  

Assuming she has not intended this to happen to you, and clearly you are an excellent buyer, then she should be willing to add you to her exemption list.  

<< All your comments are insightful and much appreciated. >>

Why thank you.  It's nice to be useful now and again. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes I have bought from these sellers in the past and even have current items that I can bid on and purchase from them but all of a sudden certain bids are not accepted as if some else wins at a lower bid. All your guesses were very informed and still we do not know why it is happening and neither do the sellers or so they say. Total mystery to me. Thanks friend.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply