? about tracking small packet

chrispenner
Community Member
I was at the post office today and asked them about tracking small packet shipments, I wanted to pick up the forms that are needed for this.. they had no idea what forms were needed and did not know what I was talking about... Do any of you know what I need for the tracking #'s and where I get it..
thanks so much!
Kathleen
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Packages under 1kg , do not come with tracking to America at this time
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
The only way to track small packets (under 1 kg) to US is by Registered Mail or Xpresspost Mail. For small packets in Canada you can send them Expedited Mail which will give you a tracking number. Only way I know of doing it. And from my understanding Paypal will accept them as proof of delivery against chargebacks I might add.

Don
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Or you can up grade the parcel too 1kg and not pay the 7.00 Registered Mail fee for tracking be added to the small packet

Small packet 8.00 plus Registered Mail tracking fee of 7.00

Or upgrade the parcel from small packet to 1kg parcel and get tracking included for 9.90 or less

This is a really good example of Canada post providing two services , and charging a huge fee for an older outdated service "Registered Mail"
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

can-import
Community Member
Small packets cant be tracked!
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

chrispenner
Community Member
I thought that in the new year they can be tracked... She even looked it up in her book and said that they can... and it will include insurance up to $100. She did not know what forms were needed...
hmmm now I am confused. I think I better call them.
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

That was my understanding too, Chris - they need to do something to justify such a huge increase!
Let us know what you hear.
Thanks
Ann
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Jan 14 is the date this all goes into effect.
Small packages will be insured with tracking #'s to the States and to most places in the world.

This will not be really good as I can send a small package anywhere in the States in 3-7 days and with this new system, it will prolly take like 2 weeks to get there like Expedited Insured does today.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Mikers: Not sure about that one... you know that postal employees are kind of lazy... they won't take the time to scan all the parcels that go on the line.

Also, I hope that the little green stickers will remain the same...
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
My paper work from Canada Post shows Jan 12-14 as the date that small packets will have tracking numbers as they are going up in cost also.

call your CP rep for details.

aa-surplus
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Any idea how much they're expected to go up?
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Looks like around 15% to me.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

mevans_cda
Community Member
The brochure with the new pricing structure is now available at the post office. I picked up my copy yesterday. And they do specify that insurance is included on small packets now (up to $100).
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

pipsfarm
Community Member
Happy New Year

I have mixed feelings about the increase and new features of the "small packet".

My big question is "How much do I raise my s/h costs without offending my US customers as they won't be made aware of the increase?"

My feeling is to move from $5 usd to $6 usd, which won't quite cover my costs anymore because of the exchange rate and size of the increase, and instead fiddle with my item costs to make up the difference.

My items ship as small packet to the USA 95% of the time, so this increase is a bulls-eye on my margin.

I'd appreciate some opinions.

Pipsfarm
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

asurania
Community Member
So is the tracking to all shipment to canada and usa. I usually shhip 800Gram shipments to USA, and use expresspost cuz i need the tracking and insurance
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I went to the post office today and they had no clue what I was talking about. I opened the pamphlet and they said oh? Does anybody know if there is a form like Expedited Business? or anything like that?

thanks!
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
This reminds me of a friend I had who worked in the government. One day while seeing someone in CIDA, a friend of his was showing him a project he had been working on for an African country for the last 18 months where a new vocational and technical school was to be built in a beautiful valley along with some short-term housing for the students living there from neighboring villages.

Construction was to begin within 3 months.

My friend then proceeded across the hall to another office where someone there went to great lengths and with huge amounts of pride in his voice to show him his project that he had been working on for the last 18 months.

His project was a brand new dam that would divert millions of gallons of water into a valley in Africa thereby providing neighboring villages with an endless supply of fresh water. The only problem was the valley to be flooded was where the new schools were being built.

Construction of the dam and flooding of the valley was to begin in 6 months, about the same time as the new schools built with our money would be finished.

Same government agency, people working in the same building, almost in the same office on two projects for the same area over an 18 month period where neither project was compatible with the other and neither of these people knew of what the other was working on.

Not much different than CP is it?

Malcolm
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
I talked to my postie lady about that. She's confused. This is what she said.

Me: So, small packet is going to have insurance, eh? Do you have the new forms? I'll need some for next week.

Her: No, same forms. It's not trackable, only insured.

Me: So, if it's not tracked, how do they know if it got there or not for the insurance?

Her: (blank look)...

Me: You know, like Expedited. They need to track it to tell if it's delivered or not.

Her: Oh, that tracking is just a bonus, it has nothing to do with the insurance.

Me: (blank look)...

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

AHAHAHAHAHAH
SAME HERE!
Thanks for the laugh,
I went to a depot (Irving Mainway) and they knew a bit more and told me that some paperwork will prolly pop out of the blue on Monday.

I have put up the new prices on my auctions (I have a lot!) and I put the new prices for Canadapost for Jan12 and explained what they are like the little pamphlet does. I hope to god it is true as I will look like a con man as I had one customer state, well I can finaly buy in Canada and be safe now!
hehe
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

chrispenner
Community Member
I phoned Canada post on this.. my lady at first did not know what I was talking about.. then she said almost the same thing as catseye* .. she told me that will not be traceable and they would "take my word" for it that is did not arrive.. I asked her what about the value? she said what ever you put on the green sticker, I replied but if it is lost you don't know what I put on it.. oh, then you would get the $100..

give me a break! it is funny for a laugh but still... there is not way they will take our word for it!

Kathleen
Message 20 of 27
latest reply