buyer does not pick up item from post office

I am a new seller and sold my first item and received payment by Paypal. Next day i shipped item by printing label through Paypal so that tracking number was automatically entered. I also sent a separate email to buyer to inform him about sipping. Now after about one week the item is still the post office for buyer to pick it up after failed delivery attempt and a card was left for buyer. I again sent email to buyer to pick up item but no response.

I clearly entered in my listing that there are no returns on item.

If buyer does not pick it up and it is returned to me by canada post, what options I have ? Do I have to refund the money ? although I mentioned that no returns accepted.

Please advice, much appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: buyer does not pick up item from post office

In my opinion this would classify as abandoned goods. 

However, sometimes Canada Post says they left a notice, but they actually didn't. 

Can you call the client or e-mail the client and inform them about this? 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You did everything correctly.  The most important part is that you printed the shipping label through PayPal so there is record, and all that information is available to eBay and papal in case of a dispute. 

If the item is returned to you by the post office, they will charge you the return postage which will be higher than you paid the first time as it's not discounted.  At that point, you can contact the buyer and give them the option to either: cover 2 additional shipping charges and you resend the item, or refund their money less the 2 shipping charges you had to pay. 

Usually if signature is required,  the post office will mail a notice to the customer if they didn't pick up the item after the first notice is left at their door before the item is returned to the seller.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in your situation.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I wouldn't worry -- either the buyer will eventually pick it up, or the item will be sent back to you.  If it is, you can refund the buyer at that time, minus the return shipping charge (let the buyer know this if they happen to contact you while the item is in transit back to you), or, if you're convinced the buyer wants it and will be there to get it the next time, offer to list it again, with the return shipping charge added to the price. 

I mention taking just the return shipping charge into account, and not 2 shipping charges, because I assume the buyer paid you for the item to be shipped to him in the first place.  It really wouldn't be fair to deduct the original shipping from the refund, or to add it to a relist, since you weren't "out" that shipping cost (unless you did in fact pay for the original shipping out of your own funds). 

Don't necessarily assume the item has been abandoned deliberately.  Sometimes people buy things then go on vacation, end up in hospital, move without leaving a notice, etc.  As mentioned above, the post office usually sends a final notice to the addressee before shipping the item back to you. 

In the meantime I'd send one more message directly to the buyer's email, or even try phoning.  If his phone # isn't on the eBay transaction details, you can contact eBay to give it to you if the transaction is still a live one.  And do print out and hang onto the Paypal transaction record and any emails associated with this transaction, just in case. 

By the way, what sort/value of item was this, and where was it going (what country)?  Some countries have such exorbitant duties that buyers occasionally decide to ignore a parcel once they realize that they may have to pay duty on it.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but it has happened. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks to all of your for your valuable advice. The item was a paintball vest and was sold for listed price of C$70 and I offered free shipping within Canada. Item was to be sent within Ontario so there are no other fees or taxes involved here.

I already got buyers telephone number from ebay but did not call him yet but reminded him by email. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for telling me sometimes canada post says they left a not but in reality they did not. As this was my very first sale on ebay and have not gone through any kind of situation, so wanted to clear things. I will call customer as I got his phone number from ebay.

thanks to all of you who responded, I appreciate this.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

regarding the same item sent, I am little confused. 

I mailed to buyer twice to pick up his item as it shows as "ready to be picked up" if I track using the tracking number. I also received mail from canada post to arrange for pick up. 

finally I got buyer's contact number from ebay and sent him text and he replied that he has picked item. 

Now after few days of his reply , I again got email from canada post that item should be picked up otherwise they will send it back after certain days. 

Is it canada post system that is not updated ?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply