can a seller require contact outside of ebay before allowing a bid?

I came across a listing with an invalid ebay listing number that reuires buyers to contact a gmail address before bidding

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Snap-Verus-Diagnostic-Scanner-EEMS323-Version-13-2-/161115832289?pt=Motors_Au...

I was wondering if this was a violation of ebay policies and if this particular listing was a scam.

The seller was listed as julieb1159but  after a refresh of My browser window it came up as kcwi2338 neither of those sellers pages contain the listing of "Snap On Verus Diagnostic Scanner EEMS323 Version 13.2"   ebay item number :

350885853525 originally, but the number changed to 161115832289 when the seller listing changed.

The gmail address to contact is e3ay999@gmail and the listing contains an image of words saying:

"this item is listed somewhere else and can be removed without notification. if you are interested to purchase it before it ends make me a good and real offer for my item  "

it gives the gmail address and then continues with:

"please contact me before placing a bid or your bid will be cancelled. this is a pre-approved listing. i am waiting your offers. thank you and good luck"

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: can a seller require contact outside of ebay before allowing a bid?

I attempted to edit the post to remove the "neither of those sellers pages contain the listing of" ( but editing time ran out) because now it is showing up on the second seller`s page...very strange

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: can a seller require contact outside of ebay before allowing a bid?

@phasedenergy wrote:

I came across a listing with an invalid ebay listing number that reuires buyers to contact a gmail address before bidding

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Snap-Verus-Diagnostic-Scanner-EEMS323-Version-13-2-/161115832289?pt=Motors_Au...

I was wondering if this was a violation of ebay policies and if this particular listing was a scam.

The seller was listed as julieb1159but  after a refresh of My browser window it came up as kcwi2338 neither of those sellers pages contain the listing of "Snap On Verus Diagnostic Scanner EEMS323 Version 13.2"   ebay item number :

350885853525 originally, but the number changed to 161115832289 when the seller listing changed.

The gmail address to contact is e3ay999@gmail and the listing contains an image of words saying:

"this item is listed somewhere else and can be removed without notification. if you are interested to purchase it before it ends make me a good and real offer for my item  "

it gives the gmail address and then continues with:

"please contact me before placing a bid or your bid will be cancelled. this is a pre-approved listing. i am waiting your offers. thank you and good luck"

Hi phasedenergy,

It looks like this listing's been removed. For future listings like this, please make sure to use the 'Report Listing' option within the listing itself so they can be reviewed.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 3 of 3
latest reply