item arrived not as listed...

HAPPY CANADA DAY, EVERYONE!!! I do a fair amount of buying and selling on ebay and at my retail store. I just purchased about $600 USD from a seller, and the items arrived without its origianl sealed packaging. I was planning to re-sell these items in my store. The listing did state "original sealed packaging" and pictured in its packaging, and I assumed that it would be ship that way. I was charged about 8X the actual shipping cost, but that is besides the point (I got a good deal on the items). When I emailed the seller to inform him, he tells me that he always ship it without the packaging to save $$$ on shipping and the hassel of packaging it to international addresses. This information was of course not in the listing. I am pretty pissed....ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD DO???
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Return it. How did you pay?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, return it. If not, ask for a substantial partial refund, since your intent was to resell it sealed. If the seller is not co-operative, use the standard methods to indicate fraud (PayPal, credit card), and leave a descriptive negative feedback (ie: Item not sealed, as stated in listing, seller refused to refund)
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
if you feel you may have to do a chargeback through your credit card company, make SURE you have a tracking number for the returned goods or risk having your Paypal account frozen.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I paid using paypal (funds transfer). Thanks for all the suggestions. I did suggest that he refund me partially for opened item, haven't received a reply yet. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again!!!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
I'd ask for a refund equal to the amount you paid for shipping minus the actual cost he paid for shipping, since it was the act of saving money on shipping which decreased the item's value (removing it from the packaging). Take the 7/8ths of the price you paid for shipping and put it toward your loss when you list the item "like new, unused". Leave the guy a neutral or negative feedback if he tries to screw with you.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The guy didn't agree to a partial refund, had to file a paypal "did not receive item" (didn't give me much options) claim. kinda feel bad, because I will get a complete refund, all I wanted was for him to make up the different for shipping me an "opened" item. I will probably give him back some $$$ (in good faith).
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

After about 2 weeks, he finally agreed to my demand for a partial refund. He knew that I would win in my claim with paypal, because, he wasn't able to provide a tracking # (I of course know this). Sellers (such as him) charge a hugh amount to ship, but use the slowest/cheapest way to mail the package so that they can make a little extra on the side. This cheap service of course does not come with a tracking #.

thanks for all the help!!!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply