so ebay gave out my phone number

susan_francis8nzv
Community Member

and now i'm getting a constant barrage of phone calls from an ex customer.

she freaked out as she claimed her bank overcharged for a purchase and would not believe i did not receive the extra money even tho i sent her a copy of my receipt. so i sent her a cheque to get her off my back. now she is saying she has sent something back which i did not receive. i clearly state no returns but was willing to make an exception as this was before the money incident. she contacted ebay who happily gave her my information. there is absolutely no way for me to contact ebay as i cannot afford long distance calls for extended periods on hold to complain. any idea what i should do now? i'm feeling next thing she will be showing up at my house as she noe has all my information! it will cost me $ to change the phone# -which i have had for over 30 years.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Either party involveded in a transaction can get the others contact info - including phone number and address - after all you had her info if you were the seller. Fair is fair.

Further, a no return policy is meaningless as PayPal will let all returns go through once a dispute is started. You may as well change your policy, returns are better for business anyway.

Thirdly - just hand up the phone without speaking when she calls.

Hope this helps.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

susan_francis8nzv
Community Member

the item was originally sold on oct 18th and there has been no paypal dispute filed yet. it is what she ordered--she ordered a size that was too small. i have had at least 15 phone calls from her so far today. I am close to closing my ebay account as nowhere did it say i would be subjected to this sort of harassment. they should put in their legal statement that this may occur as a warning to people considering selling items on the site.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

First, get a better phone company. I have all the long distance I want for a whopping $5 a month.

Call blocking. Ask yer phone company how to do it.

Close your Bay account. Good plan. As soon as you do that, the calls stop? You have not thought this through. Everyone has always been made aware that buyer and seller can get contact info.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Your problem is with the buyer , not with ebay.

Buyers and sellers can always get the  name and number of a person when they are involved in a transaction.  It would be very silly to send money and not be allowed to ever know where it went when you received nothing.

Just ignore her.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

eBay's customer service number is toll free so it shouldn't cost you anything to call them.

Most telephone companies offer a call block system where you can block calls from specific numbers.

Does this person live in the same province?

Unless they do it is highly unlikely they will show up at your house.

If they do show up at your house and refuse to leave call the Police.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As the transaction took place on October 18th it is now too late for them to open a dispute or leave feedback.

If you are going to stay with eBay get a second telephone number just for eBay and paypal and don't answer it  ]:)

I get my telephone service through the cable company and a second number only cost $9.85 per month.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Your problem is with the buyer , not with ebay.

+1

Closing the ebay store won't get this buyer off your feet. I agree with asking your phone provider to block this buyer. I put my cell phone number for eBay so at least I get call display and could see where the number is from. I cut calls that's not from the greater Vancouver area.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply