Canada post lost my parcel (but it says delivered)

bast.yog
Community Member

Hi everyone. I hope someone can advise me on what to do.

I bought a camera a few weeks ago. I live in a country house, so all my mail is always delivered to my mailbox (even parcels) - On Feb 15, the parcel was "delivered" to my mailbox (according to my tracking number); I went to check, and nothing. I wait another day, and 2 days more, and still nothing. I contact Canada post, they open a case, and they call me a couple of times (the local post office) asking me if "any luck?"... anyway, they even contact the driver. She said she doesn't remember to deliver a package that specific day to that particular mailbox (I don't even remember what I ate this morning, so I don't blame her).
To make things even more "spicy," the Canada post worker on the phone told me, "oh, well, maybe the driver put it in the wrong mailbox; we have a similar situation a few months ago with a very expensive whiskey..." - That made me lose all my hope.

I contact the seller to let him know about the situation. I'm completely aware it is not his fault, and I even feel bad having to open a case with eBay, but I don't know what to do, especially when the item says "delivered" when it wasn't.

I don't know. If this applies under the "money-back" eBay guarantee, I should; I just give up?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If it says "delivered", the seller has now completed their end of the deal. There is no case you can open that will help you. You'll have to keep pushing Canada Post, but I'm not sure if there's anything else they can do. Have you checked with neighbours?
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

bast.yog
Community Member

The next house is about 2 km away, even so, the community mailbox was supposed to be delivered has 80 mailboxes. - I suppose I just lost item and money.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact your seller he should have insurance .. he will be required to submit the claim with CPC.

How much was the item ?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The seller is not part of the problem here. I agree it is a Canada Post problem, and it's good your postmaster is aware of it.

You could try putting a note on/in every one of those 80 community mailboxes asking if they received the shipment on Feb15.

Most people are honest, but many would simply not know how to proceed when they get something they were not expecting. (Either your house address or the Post Office would be the suggested drop off, is my suggestion.)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I don't know what it's like in your community but if no one has walked the package over to your house or contacted Canada Post to come and pick up their mistake then you need to file a police report.

You have the day and time of delivery of the package. You should also grab the photos off eBay of the item for your own records (because police most likely won't ask for them). Also speak to your seller and tell him what you are doing on your end and ask him if he can describe the package for you in detail, police will need this too. See if you can get a serial number of the item either from the seller or off the eBay photos.

Even with all that info, you might not ever see it again or at least for a long while.

I came across a car stereo once on the street that I handed in to police. It'd been stolen from the owner's vehicle 2 years previous.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Silly me.

P.S. Keep the police file number for your records as well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This is good advice. But also call Canada Post and make sure to file a claim for theft. They will open a case for you and do an investigation. If it's a case of mis-delivery it's up to Canada Post to retrace the steps of their delivery vehicles for that date and time. Scanned parcels may also have scanner GPS coordinates along with the date and time, or other information that could help track it down. You also need to rule out employee theft. Inform them you've contacted the police and give them the file number.

Definitely not a seller issue, but I'm constantly baffled that the delivery company isn't required to give proof of delivery other than just scanning it.

Couriers typically take a photo of the package porched dropped at my house. And I have a porch camera to make sure it stays there. But Canada Post can SAY they delivered a $800 ipad to my community box, but actually take it home with them and who would even know??? Yeah, I actually had an ipad delivered to my community box recently. Sooo much stress! Yikes!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I wonder whom the Last Person would have been that Scanned the Package in Order for it to be Registered as Delivered?   

Sounds like it's been put in the Wrong Box - or Scanned and Not Put in.. Or someone got into your box before you.

Try making a Post in a Local Group on Facebook... Asking if Anyone got a Delivery that wasn't theirs with a Picture of the item!

I've had the same thing happen to me.  "Delivered" Notification by Email but Nothing in the Box.  

I wish someone would set up a STING with TRACKING DEVICES.. to see where Lost Items end up.
I Think a Great Feature would be having Mailboxes - that Send Notifications when a MailBox is Opened and a Parcel is Placed Inside.  Then You know it has been Physically Opened and a Censor Activated or Button Pushed.  It could also save time/gas- from going to your mailbox - Only to Find it Empty.
That's My Dragon's Den Idea!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply