PayPal issue

ledisme
Community Member
Wondering if anyone has had this problem. Lately I've had some bad luck with a couple sellers and shipping, now I have a PayPal issue. Seems like things happen in three's for me.

For the last month now, whenever a seller issues me a refund because they combined shipping for me, PayPal doesn't pass it to my credit card. I have several refunds for
shipping and refunds for cancelled purchases because an item wasn't in stock. The seller refunds, it shows up on my PayPal account, I get an email saying I've been issued a refund. On PayPal, there's a transaction ID and a date saying it was completed. Weeks later, it never shows up on my credit card. The last refund that went through was on march 8 and that showed up literally instantly on my banking. Nothing since. $37 missing in total so far. eBay says it's PayPal's problem... PayPal says it ebays problem... I called my bank and they can see NO refund transactions on their end except one from March 8. But my PayPal shows several refunds issued over the last many weeks. But their not making it to my CC. PayPal did an "investigation last week".. still nothing. I'm hesitant to make purchases on eBay now, because PayPal won't refund me if there's a problem. The refunds listed on PayPal match my credit card #, so there's an issue between PayPal and my bank. But my bank says they see nothing in the way of refunds being posted to my account from PayPal.

So I tried another credit card on March 28... Used a m/c from a different bank. Seller issued $1.20 in a shipping refund. No refund has reached that card either. That bank said there's no record of any refund being posted by PayPal. They only see the purchase I made. I'm stumped.

Anyone else ever had an issue with refunds not actually going through??
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal issue

I haven't had this refund problem but I have used PayPal hundreds of times through the years both sending money and receiving, and refunds when appropriate without issue.  Since all eBay sales are now handled by managted payments through Adyen (instead of PayPal as they once did) I would think the refund should go to whichever payment method you used but PayPal isn't necessarily the method unless you had a balance. If you "use PayPal" there are actually three places the money comes/goes from. If you have a balance in PayPal that is always used first (at least it used to be that way), I haven't held a balance in PayPal since the managed payment system came into play here but imagine it's the same way. If no balance it can come/go from either your bank account or credit card(s). Since in your post you mention both checking your bank balance and credit card maybe you have both set up? PayPal would have requested both primary and secondary sources be set up when opening an account, if you're not sure you can check your wallet in PayPal and it will show you the sources, their order, and expiry dates. It would also show you if maybe a credit card expired, if so, they would try and use your secondary source.

"On PayPal, there's a transaction ID and a date saying it was completed."

You should also be able to see the transaction details that would show actual account it was sent. I know I used to check on the transaction details within PayPal often because I used to go back and forth between using my bank and using credit card so I would look there to double check where something would be processed.

Another thing you mention is your bank doesn't show anything from PayPal. Not sure if it's changed since managed payments but I know in the past statements never said "PayPal", they would have the buyer/seller info and often the names didn't match the eBay user name since PayPal uses email addresses as names.

If you have confirmation of the refunds within PayPal it wouldn't be an eBay issue. As mentioned could be an expired card, or you accidentally changed your primary source when paying. 

Lastly I remember getting an email from PayPal some time back than starting a certain date they would be charging a usage fee for inactive accounts (I'm thinking it might have been $20?) if not used for a year.  I can't recall the time line but if you were inactive in the account and that date has past is it possible you owed them this fee and your refunds came off of that? If I recall correctly it was taking place in the fall of 2023.  I still use my PayPal account several times a year so I wouldn't have received this charge. Any chance it could be that?

I would have thought PayPal customer service would have seen that right off the bat but not sure. I think US is exempt from the inactivity fee but here in Canada I think it applies.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

PayPal issue

Ya, PayPal did a checking of my account. My refunds are going only to my credit card ending in xxxx. I have no balance in PayPal. I buy not sell on eBay. eBay informed me today that they are making a note of it, but there is nothing wrong on their end. PayPal however is stumped. They will be sending me a copy of my transactions so I can have my bank do a chargeback for my Visa refunds.

My m/c has already refunded me the refunds I didn't get, since it was only $2.23 on that card. They didn't fuss about it. Not sure why PayPal didn't just do that from the 5th phone call.

My Visa , however, is missing over more now as of today. PayPal just refunded me on an item that arrived completely different than what I bought and the seller didn't respond to their request for a return. So I guess I won't be getting this refund either.

I've always used the same Visa. Nothing has changed for years. Never had an issue before March. This began exactly on March 7, according to my bank. There are no refunds of any kind on the banks records after March 7. And I'm missing quite a few. My bank says they have never seen a refund take longer than 10 days. The bank is waiting for the PayPal transaction record with all the transactions ID #'s do they can show PayPal the money never got sent to my CC. The sad thing is, whatever is going on, PayPal is really giving me grief over this. I can't purchase stuff because if there's a refund or a problem and I get reimbursed, I'll never get the money.

At the very beginning of March, I got a PayPal refund of $40 and it showed up on my banking within 20 minutes. Any refunds before March 7, showed up pretty instantly on my banking app. So the fact that PayPal is stumped, kinda worries me.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PayPal issue

I hope you get to the bottom of this, I would still look myself within your PayPal account under "wallet" to make sure it is the card you are thinking (and they are saying) "Ya, PayPal did a checking of my account." to see. Also don't just look at PayPal transaction ID's, you can look within PayPal for the details (don't only take their word for it, see it there for yourself also).

Something must have happened between March 7 (your last refund) and now. As per my previous respond I haven't dealt with them in the last little while but used to do some deeper diving within their site (my account), as a former bookkeeper I can't help myself! Hope it gets worked out soon for you 🙂

Message 4 of 4
latest reply