i WOULD LIKE TO ORDER 50 BACKSPLASH TILES FROM CHINA TO CANADA. HOW CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT DUTY COST

I WOULD LIKE TO ORDER BACKSPLASH TILES- 50 SQ. FT.) ON EBAY; COMING FROM CHINA. I AM WORRIED ABOUT ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS AT THE BORDER-DUTY ETC. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF A PURCHASE; OR WHERE I CAN GET THE INFORMATION. I TRIED CUSTOMS AND DUTIES WEBSITES AND HAD NO LUCK. 

THANKS

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i WOULD LIKE TO ORDER 50 BACKSPLASH TILES FROM CHINA TO CANADA. HOW CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT DUTY COST

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch69-2013-eng.pdf

Tiles are heavy and fragile.

Allow for breakage.

Chinese sellers tend to use slllloooooowwwww Surface shipping. Allow at least three months for delivery.

Be prepared to pay a substantial premium for Air Mail delivery.

Remember that tiles are made in batches. If you need more, the colours and even size of the second order may not match the first.

Canadians pay Sales Tax  and sometimes duty on any import valued over $20DDN (~$16USD). Plus a service charge of between 9.95 and $25 depending on the shipper.

While CBSA and Canada Post have a policy of ignoring light and cheap packages, tiles are bulky and heavy. Expect to pay at least your province's sales tax (GST/HST/PST).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch69-2013-eng.pdf

Tiles are heavy and fragile.

Allow for breakage.

Chinese sellers tend to use slllloooooowwwww Surface shipping. Allow at least three months for delivery.

Be prepared to pay a substantial premium for Air Mail delivery.

Remember that tiles are made in batches. If you need more, the colours and even size of the second order may not match the first.

Canadians pay Sales Tax  and sometimes duty on any import valued over $20DDN (~$16USD). Plus a service charge of between 9.95 and $25 depending on the shipper.

While CBSA and Canada Post have a policy of ignoring light and cheap packages, tiles are bulky and heavy. Expect to pay at least your province's sales tax (GST/HST/PST).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

femmefan1946's link shows anywhere from 0 to 8% depending on classification.

plus the sales tax for your province/territory

plus processing fee ($9.95 for Canada Post, other carriers like UPS/FedEx/DHL are higher)

Cheap untracked shipping, will be probably be very slow as many shipments from China take 2 to 4 months to arrive (before the toxic drug problem, it would have been 3-5 weeks).

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Before you order from China, maybe check out building supply stores in CanadaWoman Very Happy

Message 4 of 4
latest reply