Taxable item

How eBay would know if a specific item is taxable?

I'm selling coins. Some of them GST/HST taxable, some  are not.  Some are taxable PST in some provences.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Taxable item

Our B&M shop had a busy mail order side.

We always charged customers GST.

Provincial taxes were based on our Ontario location, being was the only one we were registered to collect and remit taxes.

BUT

A purchase from the Eaton catalogue would be charged both, even if the buyer was not in Toronto (HQ for Eaton) because Eaton did have a physical prescence in every province and territory.

And that charge would be the buyer's provincial tax.

The rules have been updated somewhat to allow for internet commerce, but the principle is the same. While eBay doesn't have a physical presence in every province, it has an online presence in the opinion of the courts, starting with the US Supreme Court.

They would never ask where I am from.

Who are "they" in that sentence?

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Our B&M shop had a busy mail order side.

We always charged customers GST.

Provincial taxes were based on our Ontario location, being was the only one we were registered to collect and remit taxes.

BUT

A purchase from the Eaton catalogue would be charged both, even if the buyer was not in Toronto (HQ for Eaton) because Eaton did have a physical prescence in every province and territory.

And that charge would be the buyer's provincial tax.

The rules have been updated somewhat to allow for internet commerce, but the principle is the same. While eBay doesn't have a physical presence in every province, it has an online presence in the opinion of the courts, starting with the US Supreme Court.

They would never ask where I am from.

Who are "they" in that sentence?

For the "they" was referencing any business I was purchasing from out of province. Charging based on end location seems counter intuitive when in most cases it is based on location purchased.

As a side note if you are a tourist from out of province, Kananaskis Golf course did have a tax if they happened to spot your licence plate when you drove in. Personally taxes like this do nothing to leave a good impression to a visiting tourist.

-Lotz

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

It is started!

I just sold a coin which was GST/HST exempt.

Obviusly eBay charged taxes.

I'm going to suggest to the buyer to contact eBay for tax refund.

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

Just sold Bullion, buyer was taxed. This is illegal.

Taking notes, formal notice to be served - chat transscripts with eBay, audio correspondence with Tax prepresentatives from Revenu Canada confirming tax excemption of precious metals, so on and so forth. I would suggest sellers do the same. 

This affects both sellers and buyers, buyers are paying an illegal tax which in turn will deter the customer from purchasing metals on eBay, leaving us sellers in the dark, unsure whether or not eBay will correct this illegal issue. 

I'll make **bleep** sure my clients are not paying a CENT in taxes on precious metals. 

Blow the whistle on this one folks! Write to a CRA rep, write to eBay, Governor general ...whoever. Stop this illegal taxing! 

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

eBay BLEEPED with word "da mn"

Message 45 of 49
latest reply

As buyers reported they had no problem to get their taxes refunded by eBay.

The question is if sellers could get credits for eBay's charges on these taxes as it is an extra 10%-13%-15%.

Message 46 of 49
latest reply

@coins.4.fun wrote:

As buyers reported they had no problem to get their taxes refunded by eBay.

The question is if sellers could get credits for eBay's charges on these taxes as it is an extra 10%-13%-15%.

@coins.4.fun 

Do you know if there are there published procedures for requesting refunds...For both buyers and sellers? I know its been asked but as far as I know, never answered.

-Lots

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

I don't think there a designated procedure.

Though I know eBay support personnel was not surprised by the buyer's request to remove taxes.

You can just contact eBay.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

@coins.4.fun wrote:

I don't think there a designated procedure.

Though I know eBay support personnel was not surprised by the buyer's request to remove taxes.

You can just contact eBay.

That concern was brought up amongst the Do You Have Questions post generated by eBay (June) but was never answered along with many other relevant questions. I personally can't see eBay CS contracted staff having an answer. Possibly the Twitter/Facebook folks but it should be a piece of info easy to access no matter how you look without a bunch of hoops to jump through. And a refund (eBay error) most likely would not be provided unless one pleaded their case.

-Lotz

Message 49 of 49
latest reply