March 4 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy - 

Opening the chat up for your questions, I will be here on Wednesday to work on answers for you. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: March 4 2020 Weekly Session

mhaip
Community Member

Since the virus outbreak in China I have been reluctant to order anything further from China. 

One item I ordered from China as the outbreak was just starting to erupt (unbeknownst to me) has not shipped and there has been no reply from the seller to an email requesting a refund. 

While I recognize circumstances such as this are unexpected and beyond the control of Ebay and Sellers, I would be interested in knowing what Ebay is doing to communicate the risk associated with purchases from China (and other locations experiencing an outbreak).  Interestingly it appears sellers in China continue to post ads and purchases can still be made through Ebay, even though deliveries will very likely experience significant delay.

I would also be interested to know if Ebay has plans to review the current cancellation/refund policy (if only on a temporary basis).  If my memory serves correct, Ebay only allows purchasers to submit a refund request for goods not received up to 3 months after the date of purchase. 

If after weeks an item has not been marked as shipped by the seller, it would seem reasonable that Ebay should enable purchasers to cancel their purchase.  It seems silly for buyers to have to wait weeks/months to submit a refund request for a purchase that was not shipped within a reasonable period of time.

Thank you for listening and appreciate any answers you can provide.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello tyler,

As usual, a big thank you for taking the time to answer, or at least trying to most of our questions regarding issues on ebay.

My questions from before were,

1. If I sign up for a starter store on ebay .com, do I lose my monthly allotment of 50 free listings on ebay .ca? Maybe you did answer it already when you stated that the starter store was not available on .ca, and was for sellers who only sold on ebay .com. Please hammer it into my thick head one more time. TIA (thanks in advance)

2. my next one is how do I get from where we are (discussion board) back to my ebay, without going to site map first, then seeing the my ebay link at the top of the page. When I look at the top of the page now, I see a shopping cart, and beside that is a head, that when I click on it, I have to sign in again, and it takes me to the ebay.com part of my ebay.

When I sign in I go to the Canadian my ebay page (.ca) with the Canadian flag at the top. To get here I go to site map-communication-discussion link pattern which takes me here. In order to stay on .ca I must go to the bottom of the page and use the site map link in order to see the my ebay link at the top. It's not that important, I just want to know if there is a one step method to get back to the my ebay page from here.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

For the spring update new shipping addition. That is completely optional correct? The current discounts we get are much better than Tier 1 Canada Post with shippers such as Chit Chats.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I have my buyer's hat on for this question.

With the new ebay international standard shipping program, ebay recommends that sellers specify that they specify that method as a shipping option but they aren't required to do so.  They can decide after the buyer has purchased the item which means that more than likely  the delivery time will be increased since the package has to go to a depot in the US before being sent out of the country.  I don't understand how this can be buyer friendly. 

Also, I've heard that DHL is being used for the international portion of the trip...is that accurate? That would mean that if the seller didn't specify the program but had stated that they were using usps for shipping, that the carrier the buyer was expecting would be different than what was promised.  If it is DHL, that is being used, it will almost certainly mean that buyers will be paying taxes and higher brokerage fees which they may not expect to pay if usps was the stated method. As most of us know, in Canada items sent usps/Canada Post often aren't charged taxes even if the item is over the limit.

Even IF the seller specified that they are using ebay international standard delivery, is there something there telling the buyers exactly what that means? I doubt that most buyers know what it is. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@amcdc79 

I know that Tyler will answer your questions but wanted to chime in here.

1. The 50 free listings per month are for non store owners.

2.  I'm not sure what you are using...pc, ipad or phone but on my pc with Firefox, I do see a my ebay link at the top of the page here. On my ipad I don't see a my ebay link even though I use the classic version so I have bookmarked my ebay so that it is easy  to get to.  I have also bookmarked the discussion board as I'm here often.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@mhaip wrote:

Since the virus outbreak in China I have been reluctant to order anything further from China. 

One item I ordered from China as the outbreak was just starting to erupt (unbeknownst to me) has not shipped and there has been no reply from the seller to an email requesting a refund. 

While I recognize circumstances such as this are unexpected and beyond the control of Ebay and Sellers, I would be interested in knowing what Ebay is doing to communicate the risk associated with purchases from China (and other locations experiencing an outbreak).  Interestingly it appears sellers in China continue to post ads and purchases can still be made through Ebay, even though deliveries will very likely experience significant delay.

I would also be interested to know if Ebay has plans to review the current cancellation/refund policy (if only on a temporary basis).  If my memory serves correct, Ebay only allows purchasers to submit a refund request for goods not received up to 3 months after the date of purchase. 

If after weeks an item has not been marked as shipped by the seller, it would seem reasonable that Ebay should enable purchasers to cancel their purchase.  It seems silly for buyers to have to wait weeks/months to submit a refund request for a purchase that was not shipped within a reasonable period of time.

Thank you for listening and appreciate any answers you can provide.

Hi @mhaip - we're adding to the estimated delivery dates for items in impacted areas, and working with sellers from that area to ensure they are protected from negative impacts to their rating if they are in areas where postal service has been suspended. 

When it comes to awareness we've been making announcements periodically to our members at large (via Seller News Announcements) as well as privately. Overall, however, the World Health Organization indicates that the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus from a package itself is also low (resource here).

When it comes to opening a request that an item has not been received you are able to open one as soon as the day after the latest estimated delivery date up to 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date. There is not currently a plan to alter that timeframe. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Regarding the new Updates to eBay Money Back Guarantee and the abusive buyer policy announcement, Was this message intended for review by sellers only? I'm just curious to know how a buyer would be aware of this policy as they would very rarely, if every view the discussion boards. Will it be advertised to buyers in some way?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello tyler,

As usual, a big thank you for taking the time to answer, or at least trying to most of our questions regarding issues on ebay.

1. If I sign up for a starter store on ebay .com, do I lose my monthly allotment of 50 free listings on ebay .ca? Maybe you did answer it already when you stated that the starter store was not available on .ca, and was for sellers who only sold on ebay .com. Please hammer it into my thick head one more time. TIA (thanks in advance)

2. my next one is how do I get from where we are (discussion board) back to my ebay, without going to site map first, then seeing the my ebay link at the top of the page. When I look at the top of the page now, I see a shopping cart, and beside that is a head, that when I click on it, I have to sign in again, and it takes me to the ebay.com part of my ebay.

When I sign in I go to the Canadian my ebay page (.ca) with the Canadian flag at the top. To get here I go to site map-communication-discussion link pattern which takes me here. In order to stay on .ca I must go to the bottom of the page and use the site map link in order to see the my ebay link at the top. It's not that important, I just want to know if there is a one step method to get back to the my ebay page from here.

Hi @amcdc79! My replies below:

1. Ooooh this is a headscratcher. I'm going to look into it more, but here's what I can tell you off the bat:

• Because the Starter store isn't yet available on .com, the listing promotion from .com to .ca isn't going to carry over.  I have to check on if your 50 free listing promotion would stay on .ca.  

2. You're describing something I've never seen before! I have a 'My eBay' link that opens a drop down right next to my cart icon and when I click it I'm taken to the My eBay section. Is this something that has always been happening for you? Are you getting to eBay from a bookmark or favorited link?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@7366carl wrote:

For the spring update new shipping addition. That is completely optional correct? The current discounts we get are much better than Tier 1 Canada Post with shippers such as Chit Chats.

Hi @7366carl - yes, you are still able to use the shipping provider of your choice. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have my buyer's hat on for this question.

With the new ebay international standard shipping program, ebay recommends that sellers specify that they specify that method as a shipping option but they aren't required to do so.  They can decide after the buyer has purchased the item which means that more than likely  the delivery time will be increased since the package has to go to a depot in the US before being sent out of the country.  I don't understand how this can be buyer friendly. 

Also, I've heard that DHL is being used for the international portion of the trip...is that accurate? That would mean that if the seller didn't specify the program but had stated that they were using usps for shipping, that the carrier the buyer was expecting would be different than what was promised.  If it is DHL, that is being used, it will almost certainly mean that buyers will be paying taxes and higher brokerage fees which they may not expect to pay if usps was the stated method. As most of us know, in Canada items sent usps/Canada Post often aren't charged taxes even if the item is over the limit.

Even IF the seller specified that they are using ebay international standard delivery, is there something there telling the buyers exactly what that means? I doubt that most buyers know what it is. 

Hi @pjcdn2005 - regarding your first comment: that practice wouldn't be particularly buyer-friendly for the reasons you mentioned.  However, it isn't something that we prohibit, though we also  wouldn't protect a seller's feedback if they stated they would ship with one service and end up using another.

DHL is the carrier for the international leg of the journey, and the program overall is 'Duties Unpaid' so any dues would be assessed at the time of delivery for the buyer. 

I will make sure that your concerns are shared!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Regarding the new Updates to eBay Money Back Guarantee and the abusive buyer policy announcement, Was this message intended for review by sellers only? I'm just curious to know how a buyer would be aware of this policy as they would very rarely, if every view the discussion boards. Will it be advertised to buyers in some way?

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - the policies regarding buyer abuse are already written and available through both the Terms and Conditions of the eMBG program as well as the Buying Practices Policy. There are no further plans to communicate these clarifications that I'm aware of. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello tyler,

Hi @amcdc79 - I think I found an answer! 

I used a test account and a Starter store subscription displayed the listing promotion on the .ca side. However, the only test accounts I have are registered to .com, so I'm not sure if that would apply to .ca registered accounts opening a Starter store on .com. 

If you want to give it a go (for science!) and it doesn't work let me know. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply