Paying for an item from kijiji - am I protected by PayPal?

Buying an item on kijiji which will be mailed to me. If I pay by PayPal using send money am I protected against not receiving it or being scammed?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Paying for an item from kijiji - am I protected by PayPal?

No.  Just like mailing cash.

You could pay the seller 3% extra to cover the cost and have them send you an invoice for the purchase.  You pay the invoice and have some basic protection.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Paypal does have strong Buyer Protection, but you have to show that you actually bought something and didn't just send money as a donation.

Ask the seller to send you a PP invoice through Money-> Request Money.

Then you pay the invoice you receive.

If the shipment is not correct, PP has a Resolution Centre at the top of each page under Tools.

Note that if the item is Not As Described, PP insists that the Buyer pay for tracked return shipping before processing a refund.  On the other hand, PP Buyer Protection is good for 180 days from payment.

PP is safer than sending cash or doing an email transfer. So if he does charge a fee, it is worth it for six months of protection against non-delivery or damaged/misdescribed products.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks. Seller sent me an invoice and I did pay via PayPal. Said I am covered and have buyer protection.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Paypal is actively promoting kijiji use and vice versa.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I wouldn't trust PP  bcuz its not a CC company.  If a chargeback happens from a scam, you are tagged with it.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@tobey_arih wrote:

I wouldn't trust PP  bcuz its not a CC company.  If a chargeback happens from a scam, you are tagged with it.

Old thread.

Original poster is the one that was doing the buying -- they were asking as a Buyer.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
@happy_pigeon

Unfortunately, I can't chime in on Kijiji or PayPal issues with regard to Kijiji transactions. I'd recommend contacting customer service for one or the other if there's any doubt.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply