Cash in the mail?

amcdc79
Community Member

I have a possible buyer from Nanaimo who wants to pay via hidden cash in the mail. He does not have a PayPal account, yet has almost 500 feedback, and has been a member since March 2004.

It's for a $15 item with free shipping via letter mail back to him.

I do have a friend in Nanaimo who could collect instead, but do I want him to get involved when the value is so low.

Could this get ugly?

Your thoughts please.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Cash in the mail?

I was doing a large toy show when I met this person. She bought a number of my items for her brother for Christmas and when she was paying she opened her purse in front of me. There were large wads of American $100 Bills in it.  I did not try to look but could not help  but do so.  She told me how much she had in the purse and told me it would be spent in the next few hours.   Sure enough she came back a few hours later and showed me a $10 bill saying that's it for tonight. But have the rest of the money at the Hotel for  tomorrow.

I wanted her to adopt me! Told her she would never have to see me just remember me when it was time. She had a good chuckle.  She was not pretentious about having that amount of money just matter of fact. Told me she and her husband never had to worry about Money. 

Then she told me she was quite embarrassed. She had spent about $25,000 with one vendor buying Vintage Fire Works.  Did not have all of them there but was arranging to get them. I  congratulated her it was quite the find.  She was American and it was a few yrs after 9-11.  She said sounded good but she forgot she could not take them back to the U.S. They were restricted.   She was going back to cancel the transaction.  The Poor Dealer  who sold them to her  was near me and nearly passed out when she did it.  She did not ask for the money back but  said she would make it up on other by taking other items he had and did so.  As an apology for this she bought another  $5,000 of his items on top of it.  It made that guys show

I really really wanted to be Adopted by her! She spent a fair amount with me that night but no where near what she did with him

Have Learnt in this business there are people at times that can do these types of purchases easily and don't mind doing so and don't sweat things

I want to be them when I grow up!

weavers

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

Cash in the mail?

I wish I had that kinda money to burn on fire works...
Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Cash in the mail?

I have had the odd large order buyer over the years who also have good $$ to put towards their hobby. I recall one who I was awaiting a cheque, they weren't answering emails, or their phone (a long time customer I was worried about their health) but after a week I got the phone call that their neighbour told them they weren't using their place in the Grand Caymans and they should go for a couple weeks.....they called me once they got back...the cheque to me was paltry cash to them but it was a LOT of money to me.....I also wish I could just drop cash like that on whatever I wanted....

Having said this though, it comes down to who you compare yourself to.... here we are with nice computers and cars and houses etc, whilst the folks we get so frustrated with in China are very lucky to have any of them of any consequence.... one never usually compares oneself to those who have less than them but the ones that have more....
Message 43 of 43
latest reply