Change eBay ID / Hide previous IDs?

Hi!

A few questions for later that I am better having answered right now!

Right now I don't really care that we see my previous eBay ID... which is my name... But I want to start a bigger business on eBay eventually and I'm not sure I want everyone to see my name if eventually I sell a lot. I would prefer just to display a business name, something professional, but that does not necessarily involve everyone seeing my personal information... The way I see it is when you go to the hardware store to buy tools, you see clerks, but you don't necessarily know about the owner of the store...

So, a few questions:

• Will it be possible somehow to hide my previous eBay IDs in the future if I grow a bigger eBay account / store?
  • Will everyone see the history of my addresses, which right now is my personal address?
  • Is it possible to have a big eBay store without everyone knowing my personal details?

Right now I don't really care, but understand, if one day I sell, let's say, to 200 different customers per month, do I really want 2400 people every year to know my personal information? If I had a physical store where people walk-in to buy 10$-100$ items, I don't think I would want all of them to know my personal details... I'm not marrying them, I'm just selling them some merchandise!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The short answer is no.

Your previous ids associated with this account will always be visible to anyone who cares enough to look, which is probably one per cent of other users. 

If you want a fresh selling ID, you'll have to open a new account and then use if for awhile to build up some feedback so that you don't look like a fly-by-nighter. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

No, if by addresses you mean postal addresses.

It would be too confusing.

Previous IDs stay with you (for the one per cent) and while your feedback only shows the current 12 months, all your feedback since Day One is still on the feedback pages (again for the one per cent).

ProTip: if you want to see all the neutral and negative feedback for another member - back to their very first in 1995- you can go to toolhaus.org. They get closed down by eBay about once a week, but you can be persistant.

At the end of 30 days of selling, you can phone Help and Contact and ask for more listings, and if things have gone well, you may get more than you think.

It's not six and ten, by the way, it's some combination of number or listings and value of listings.

So if you had 100 x $5 listings, that would be the same as having one $500 listing.

I don't know if eBay planned it, but that means that newbies can sell a lot of inexpensive items during the learning stage without going broke (mental health being another question), or one iPad and get totally scammed.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The short answer is no.

Your previous ids associated with this account will always be visible to anyone who cares enough to look, which is probably one per cent of other users. 

If you want a fresh selling ID, you'll have to open a new account and then use if for awhile to build up some feedback so that you don't look like a fly-by-nighter. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Alright, that's what I thought...

Anyways in Canada, they give us 6 listings the first month, 10 listings the second month, and after that I don't know... so I think it would be hard to just pop from nowhere with a big business... I hear in the US they give some 100 listings per month fresh accounts... I guess we Canadians are suspicious! Smiley Tongue

If I rent a place to do business one day, are my previous / personal addresses gonna be visible?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

No, if by addresses you mean postal addresses.

It would be too confusing.

Previous IDs stay with you (for the one per cent) and while your feedback only shows the current 12 months, all your feedback since Day One is still on the feedback pages (again for the one per cent).

ProTip: if you want to see all the neutral and negative feedback for another member - back to their very first in 1995- you can go to toolhaus.org. They get closed down by eBay about once a week, but you can be persistant.

At the end of 30 days of selling, you can phone Help and Contact and ask for more listings, and if things have gone well, you may get more than you think.

It's not six and ten, by the way, it's some combination of number or listings and value of listings.

So if you had 100 x $5 listings, that would be the same as having one $500 listing.

I don't know if eBay planned it, but that means that newbies can sell a lot of inexpensive items during the learning stage without going broke (mental health being another question), or one iPad and get totally scammed.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I don't know if it changed for that reason that they did not want newbies to spam eBay with 1000 x 1$ listings, or if it is just in my case, but I really have 10 listings OR 1000$, whichever comes first... So I could sell 1 x 1000$, 2 x 500$, 10 x anything that does not go over 1000$ total, but it is impossible for me to sell more than 10 items at the moment. My first month, after 6 x 10$ books, they stopped me...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I notice your latest listing is Fixed Price.

Try using those instead of auctions. It's more suitable for your products anyway.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for advice! And also I find it more convenient, the listing having a 30-day duration.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply